Welcome to the forum

Ride London 100 (Sun 4th August 2013)

edited November 2012 in Sportives
Developed by the Mayor of London, Ride London will be a world-class festival of cycling, starting in August 2013

The Ride London 100 event is on closed roads in London and the Surrey hills - a modified version of the London 2012 Olympic Road Race - and will finish in central London, shortly before the elite riders finish the Ride London Classic event on a similar route

20 000 amateur cyclists are expected to take part in the inaugural Ride London 100. It's expected to be over-subscribed, so at this stage, all you need to do is register (free) to enter the ballot. http://www.ridelondon.co.uk/Events/100.htm

Comments

• I have entered the ballot. Applicants already number over 25,000 for 20,000 places. Good luck everyone!
  • Looks like this event is going to be very popular! Note that the ballot will close at 75,000 applicants.
  • Me too!

Andrew R
  • No place for me I am afraid :(
    Alistair
  • One of the girls in my office got in. According to the website notifications are being sent out from 7th to 15th Feb so if you have not heard by then your not in.

Martin
  • You can find out straight away via this link:
    http://regonline.activeeurope.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1124438

Login with your registration details. If it says CANCELLED, you didn't get in.

Mine says CANCELLED :(
  • No place for me either
  • Thanks Shaun, looks like I'll be doing an alternative 100 mile ride that day.

Good excuse for a club ride.
  • Disappointing
  • I didn't get in either..but, I've signed up to ride for Team macmillan and have just sent them an e-mail to confirm I wish to continue with my "Golden Bond" place, which means I get the opportunity to raise money for them as well.
    Fingers crossed, and I might get in.

Cheers
  • I didn't get in either - has any CCA rider got a place?
  • not me... makes you wonder who (if anyone) actually got a place other than through the charity route
  • (At the risk of sounding smug) I did. Bit sad to hear that I'm not going to have any pals to ride it with though :(
  • I'm in as well, just received a confirmation from macmillan.
  • I didn't get in, looks like its gone the same way as the London Marathon the only way in is to pay a charity. I was p......d off when the letter said you have not got a place BUT there are still plenty of charity places for those who want to raise mega money for them.
    Could I suggest we run our own 100 for a 'Club' nominated charity that we all raise funds for and let London stick their 100 where the sun doesn't shine.
  • hehehe...bad luck Jane....looks like you have got me for company, at least for the first mile or so.

Mine said "CONGRATULATIONS! You were unsucessful in the origianl Ballot, but you are one of the lucky 1,000 winners of the Bequest Draw"

Not sure what a Bequest Draw is, but looks like I'm in :)

Adam
  • edited February 2013
    I didn't get in either :(

Nice touch to also send a magazine that reminded me on almost every page that I hadn't got a place. Thanks for that !!
  • Isn't 'bequest' something to do with giving away your property when you die? I know sportives can be tough, but this sounds a bit extreme, Adam

In any case, feel free to leave your De Rosa to me!
  • edited February 2013
    I just opened a letter that came this morning and it says (pending my payment) I have a place...
  • Already thunking about logistics.
    Event start time from 6-8am.
    There is a Travel Lodge in Stratford, just by the Olympic Park.
    Flexible room rate (cancel up to midday on day of arrival) still avalable at £51 per room, if anyone is interested.
  • I also got in on the 'Bequest Draw'. Starting to feel pretty lucky as there are a lot more disappointments it seems.
  • edited February 2013
    I was also on the NO list!
    We ought to have an anti-Ride London ride
  • I've read that people were entered into the (sercet?) "Bequest Draw" if they opted to pay their entry fee upfront and donate it to charity if unsuccessful in the main ballot. Apparently, there were 1000 entry places held back for this special draw. I suspect if you did opt to donate your entry fee to charity, you were in the minority and therefore nearly guaranteed a place if you bombed the main ballot!
  • Good theory Shaun, But.
    I wondered if that might happen and did just as you describe to try and increase my chances of getting in. However, I got a rather ill fitting Ride London shirt and the same magazine that appears to have been so universally unwelcome with my NO!

I think in reality, much as we might all be disappointed, with 3 or 4 people in, perhaps we have got the roughly 1 in 4 we might have expected. I would be very surprised if the ballot was anything other than fair. My gripe is it should have been biased to us :)
  • edited February 2013
    There is also the business relay which i emailed them about back in August and i've only today received an email about it to register. See here
    Team of 4, must all work at the same company, 25 mile each as a relay. £200 to enter the team.
    Fingers crossed i get in this way.

Thinking about it there is huge appeal in absolutely bombing it on the last 25 mile leg while the single riders are trying to finish their 100 mile!
  • Alistair,
    I did say 'nearly guaranteed'. You were especially unlucky and bombed both ballots :)
  • Haha, indeed, that makes me feel even less lucky, failing in a near dead cert. Best not rely on me for getting entries to anything :)
  • My gripe is about the charities using strong-arm tactics, which has really put me off volunteering and now they seem to be muscling in on my cycling activities too.

This will be the 1st Ride London 100 event and Boris will want our feedback, in order to make it a success in future years. The issue as I see it is that a significant proportion of places appears to have been controlled by third parties (possibly the charities), rather than being randomly distributed in a free ballot.

So far, I know of 16 entries to the ballot, of which only 2 were successful (Nathan and I). 3 (Adam C, Alistair and Adam R) were unsuccessful and became eligible for the Bequest Draw, in which 2 were successful and Pontus failed the ballot but got a place through a charity

It's only a small sample, so I can't put a lot of confidence in the findings, but in the absence of any other info, it would appear that 2/16 x 55000 (the actual number of entries to the ballot) was the number of places that were available to be won in the ballot, ie just shy of 7000. This begs the question of just how many places are changing hands on less democratic and probably more punitive terms.

I'm thinking about writing to the organiser to ask, in the interests of transparency, how many places (out of the 20 000 that they originally advertised) were actually available to be won in the ballot ... and to pass on our desire to keep sporting events clean of manipulation, in terms of making access to them 'fair'

To do this properly, I need to know who entered the ballot, who succeeded and who didn't. So if you haven't already, please post on this thread if you entered the ballot.
  • I entered the ballot (with a no in the donate your fees box) and got the lovely "bad luck, loser" mag. Hastily applied for a charity spot, and now have to wait " a couple if weeks" to see how that goes.
    Cheers, Pete
  • Jane is it information which can be requested under Freedom of Information?