Welcome to the forum

Chain gangs 2013

edited April 2013 in Chain gangs
Probably not the best person to kick this thread off given i will do well to last lap 1 for a while.....But thats half the fun;)

Tuesday 16 and 23 April would mean a 7pm start.

7.30 maybe on 30 April.

Sg Pain is also promoting Chain Gang II at the moment so watch out for his posts if you would like a soft entry into the sector.

Get yr Strava up and running for the Litlington to Basingbourn sector (esp when the wind is coming from the west)

ttfn

Comments

• I'll be leaving at 6:30 for the usual 'pre lap'
  • I''ll be around to have a go on 30 Apr i think
  • 7.30 for me too
  • Looking like 7.30 for me on 16th and yes lights are on for the return home.
    (maybe after half a lap!)
  • Hoping to be away from work early enough for 1900 or 1930, whichever is chosen?
  • "Sg Pain is also promoting Chain Gang II at the moment"
    Do you know where / which forum?

I've looked but no sign of any posts for 2013 bar this one thus far here.
  • To help clear things up - I believe the circuit training sessions will be doing turbo - see the Sticky on Tuesday circuit training.

Looks like at least Theo is starting chaining at 6.30pm.
    Maybe James at 7pm.
    Robbie at 7.30pm.
    Leaving 3 Tuns to warm up on the way to Steeple Morden.

Previously, it's worked out where later groups and riders go the course clockwise, to sooner or later meet the oncoming earlier groups going anti-clockwise.

Route link here.

Last year it settled into 7pm and 7.30pm groups. Usually meeting in Steeple.
  • That's 3x different chain gangs on the same night, just leaving at different times.
    What speeds likely per group please?
    Or are they all roughly the same speed / intensity?
  • No they all meet up, out there on the course. It takes about 25 mins to do a circuit, hence leaving every half hour works.

As Martin says, the main or first group goes anticlockwise, from Steeple to Litlington, Basingbourn etc.
    Anyone joining can go the other way round, then when they see the chain gang approaching, using extreme caution obviously, stop and
    turn and join the main group.

i havent made it in a while but its usually 23-24 mph average for the course. if you can't keep up you are off the back, so the intensity is that of the strongest riders.

if there is enough interest, then its possible to have 2 chain gangs, a fast one at the above pace, and then a slightly steadier one at low 20's
  • If meeting in Steeple, the corner by the church is probably not the safest place to gather. For cars turning left into Cheyney St, it's almost a blind corner and at 7pm most are heading home for dinner and travelling at speed. There's much better visibility by the garage and post office, about 100m east of the corner (towards Litlington)
  • Thanks for clarification: maybe something to work towards as that's also Cat4 race pace from the forums I've read.
    A simply awful winter, so my aspirations are still greater than my abilities - reality will bite soon enough - then I will be away abroad. Hey-ho!
  • Last year normally there where two laps 7:00 and 7:30 but some of us met for a pre-lap
  • edited April 2013
    can't make this week but I'll be there from next. HF tomorrow!
  • I will be doing these when i can. As Stef says the speed is dictated by the faster riders, there is no slowing down waiting, if you get dropped either turn round and catch it next lap or form another group with other dropped riders.

Jane makes a very good point, the corner is not a good place to meet and inevitably results in riders milling about in the road on a blind corner. Lets try to meet off the road by the garage.
  • I'll be there at 7.30 with me fandango wheels tryin to hold on for too long
  • Hey Theo I'll be riding out same time as you. I'll aim to be passing by your place at 6.30. Julian
  • ok Julian, by the way the pre lap was at 7:00 last year so that's what time I'll be at the tuns
  • Is it 7 at the Tuns or at Steeple - thought it was 7 at Steeple last year so meet at the Tuns 10 minutes earlier but my memory may be flawed....

I'll be out tonight for a couple of laps , if there's a few other slower riders out we can make a second group but if not will just hang on as long as I can.
  • doesn't stop? we waited for the second group until 7:40 ish ;)
  • Thanks MC, will be at 3 tuns for 7
  • I think MC is right there. Last year there was a tendency for the early group to stop at the end of their first lap and wait for people to turn up, sometimes waiting for 10 or more minutes by which time youve stopped sweating and then have to get going again.

If you are waiting for them to come round then get there early and wait in the garage so you see them coming and have a chance of getting on. Or ride round the wrong way until you see them coming. I rarely can get onto the course until 7.30 so just ride around the wrong way until i see them coming. Can be a bit worrying if you get to the Littlington one way bit though! if im expecting them i keep going up and down the Littlington Bassingbourn stretch so i dont miss them in the one way system.

By the way, a note about joining from the wrong direction. Give yourself as much time as possible. As soon as you see them coming towards you have a VERY GOOD LOOK and if its safe do a u turn. then stay tight and straight in the secondary position accelerate steadily and let the group come past you and slot on the back. Dont keep looking behind and wobbling about and dont ride in the middle of the road letting the group come up the inside. If you cant do a safe u turn in front of them or they come past round an unsighted corner, then just turn when you can and sprint like Sir Chris.

No one is going to wait for you though so try not to mess up the join!
  • 7.30 group did a lap... Lee and Robbie working as a two up.
    On strava.
  • Cheers Robbie.

Less chain gang, more like chain link!

I went round for one last lap on my own before heading home.

the 7.30 group can probably squeeze in 2 laps before it gets too dark at the mo

Lee
  • so gutted I missed it. Got a sore throat I sound like an otter

sounds like it went well, cya next weeeek
  • Thanks Mark - will give that a go next time - it was a bit quick and showed up my lack of miles over the winter.. still it's great to get out in the evening for a ride - roll on summer...
  • Really enjoyed it, cheers.
  • Nice to ride at pace after slogging around on winter bikes in cold weather gear. It felt pretty controlled for the lap I did. Look forward to the next one. Talkin to Robbie this morning if you can't make the 7pm start from the Tuns then you need to get over to Steeple for 7.30 to join lap 2. He just missed the gang by a minute or so having gone to the Tuns for 7.30 depart
  • Hi all, yes Sgt. Pain will be doing a softly softly ADULT introduction paceline riding starting in May. Leaving Tuns at 7 or 730, need to put my head together with Dave and Emma to decide how best to do it.

Best,

A
  • An Adult intro at a somewhat slower pace (is that the meaning of Adult these days?) sounds just perfect.
    Any idea of a date?