Welcome to the forum

Chain gangs 2013

2»

Comments

• Just bringing this back to the top.
  • Andrew MacSkeen - are you still thinking of an Adult introduction paceline/chain gang session on Tuesday nights?
    There was quite a lot of interest in the pub last night, I think you'd get lots of takers.
    Cheers
    Stef
  • I would be interested in this....after joining last night's burn up towards the end of the 2nd lap at 25mph+, just as people were finishing (finished?!)/shelled out the back....so followed several wheels....but not those of the 3 that rode off for a 3rd lap.....my first club experience was to then to timetrial solo for a lap...held my own wheel rather well I thought...nearly dropped myself several times though!! Working in London though and rarely home to Hitchin before 7pm it's rare I can attend any club mid week events....except maybe the Kings X pub evenings..but that might not necessarily make me go any faster....but would probably lessen the pain!!
  • Hey all.

Yes, I'd be willing to coordinate and mentor (not coach or direct, lol!) an intro to pace lines on Tuesdays. Sorry this is late getting started, got a little distracted by work.

Having spoken to a few people who are interested I propose the following:

- An 'intro to pacelining' group, leaving Three Tuns at 7pm.
    - We would do the shorter loop, through Piggots, doing 2-3 laps (18-20 miles total with warm up and warm down)
    - Starting out we would simply do a pace line with 20-30 seconds on the front, then going to the back practicing picking up the weel on the way back.
    - After a few sessions we might try a little through and off fun.
    - This is only going to be of value if riders are willing to push speeds a bit, so pushing it to the 18-20MPH range and learning to stay on a wheel with some pressure on on the pedals.

Comments???

Mack
  • Sounds great, thanks Andrew. Hope you get lots of takers.
    Its great fun you'll all enjoy it, and will benefit in terms of speed and ability to ride in groups.

Dont worry if the 18-20 mph sounds too fast for you, you'll be surprised what you can achieve riding in a group and sharing the workload.
  • Yep sounds good - count me in please!
  • Sounds great, would love to give this a go please....a few questions:

Still on a Tuesday night?
    If leaving Tuns at 7pm, is that starting from Steeple around 7.10, as per the fast/medium groups?
    Mapping on Garmin gives a lap of just under 8 miles on thePiggots loop (the Bassingbourn loop is around 9.2 miles), which at 19mph is around 25mins...does that sound about right?

If so, I could possible join for the 2nd lap, going back through Steeple at around 7.35ish, as I work in London.
  • Good stuff, let's do it!

No idea what time we'll hit Steeple, depends on how promptly we leave the Tuns etc.

We may be talking about a slightly different loop. I'm proposing we do mine and Geoff's old youth section paceline training loop, which has a nice little sprint hill in hte middle. Once we go through Litington it would be:

Bassingbourne road to Bassingbourne, left turn onto ...
    North End Road onto Fen Road, left turn on
    High Street (Abington Piggots)
    Sprint the little hill and back to ...
    Litlington for another loop.

This is a short, safe manageable loop that's also a lot of fun.

Best,

Andrew
  • I will be there.

The loop is just over 5 miles, so around 16 mins at the pace described. I reckon we'd be back round Litlington around 7-30.

Tim / Barnabas see you tomorrow for the 9-30 ride?
    Cheers
    Peter
  • So when are we starting - this coming Tuesday?

And Peter yes see you tomorrow...
  • Ah, understand now...I was thinking about almost the same loop as the faster groups, once the turn had been made at Litlington, instead of Bassingbourn....ie heading up towards the Wendy Rd, then back to Steeple!

I'll just have to ride around the loop backwards until I see you all, as cannot realistically get over from London until 7.30-7.45ish.

Not out this weekend as I'm in Zummerzet being hammered by the Mendips as training for climbing Ventoux in July!
  • edited June 2013
    The one CG I did ride two weeks ago was more a 5 man TT, as, well, there were only 5 of us.
    That was on the full 9 mile course and we thinned out to just 3 riders on the 3rd lap.

If the medium pace group is AOK with me, I will stick with them for the next (my last) possible two sessions, even if I struggle a little to do my full fair share at the front.

The ride back to Sandon seemed to take in inordinate amount o' time and I was grateful for having brought my lights.
  • Sounds good, I just hope I can keep up!!

Gayle
  • Hi all,

The 'intro' ride will start tonight, first working on just through and off, taking the short loop.

BUT, this old trackie doesn't get wet so if it's raining ... I will meet you in the pub! ;-)

Best,

Skeeny
  • 6.50 outside the Three Tuns?
  • I will be there for the Intro - assuming it doesn't rain...

Tim
  • Lights are a reasonable suggestion if you are planning on a few laps.
    I think the fast and inters are riding 3x laps.