Welcome to the forum

Interclub 25 - Sunday 14th July ***CANCELLED***

2»

Comments

• Would anyone who happens to pass while they are working ask them to find out when they expect to finish? Would help us decide now if it could be run, or not.
    I'm not local so won't have a chance.
    On the plus side they are fixing some pot holes in Guilden itself, according to the roadworks.org site.
  • I have just been out for a post race recovery ride and passed by the entrance to New Rd (left turn in Guilden). The road was closed but I asked the lad who was working on the resurfacing and he said that it will be back open tomorrow (9th). However, on the ride down from the start point the New Rd turning, i had to stop three times to remove the tar and gravel that had stuck to my wheels and frame. I don't know how this will fair later in the week at speed??

Later in the ride i also attempted to go on the A507 where they resurfaced the road in the same way over a week ago. I had to turn back after about 50 yards as it was awful to ride on, loose chippings everywhere. I know it's a main road, so hopefully New/Fleck Rd will be better. I've never understood why they resurface roads with the loos chipping method, must be money orientated??
  • Yes, Geoff 118 popped by today to tell me the road was closed as the tar was too runny! "too hot to go off apparently"

We will see what happens once traffic gets on it but not looking good
  • If it isn't rideable, is there scope to select another route? I don't know how these things work, but is it possible to use the Club 10 route similar to the Hardriders TT?? Just a thought.

Luke
  • Yes, a few have suggested that. I am looking into it. The problem is that the police road management folks require several weeks notice to hold a TT
  • Tim, I have whispered you.
  • mmmmm gravelly. just did a lap this morning...
  • Can't race on that !!
  • last time they resurfaced the northfields road in similar fashion, took a chunk out of my beloved steed :-(
  • Tim is going to decide if its going ahead tomorrow.
    I have the list of entries from all clubs so if it is going ahead ill be raising the start list.
    Is there anyone who has not entered on the link above who wants to be on the start list? (i know D.Pedder does)
    MC is not on there?
    Lunchtime deadline tomorrow if you want in.
  • Sorry folks. No way. Its much worse than i thought. If you stay in the car tracks its not too bad but overtaking other riders would be lethal. There are also these patches with bloody great tractor imprints in the tar which are full of gravel. A nightmare.

So we will have to cancel. Someone will come off if we ran it.

Maybe we will try to re run it later if we can find a date. Ill let you know
  • Thanks for the notice Tim. 6hr bike ride for me on Sunday now then :)
  • Shame! But yes, I drove along that road last night and it's a mess. Lots of free gravel and several deeply ridged patches

I won't be putting my car through that again and I definitely wouldn't inflict it on my bike. I hope they're aware of the ridged patches - and that they sort those out quickly.
  • Tim ???? thanks for the early notice....it's work for me then ????
  • Oh no thats a shame and I bet I wont be able to make a reschedule ddate if there is one! I completely understand though Tim and thanks for giving us enough notice.

I guess i'll just have to eat the cakes myself.......and then do a massive bike ride :-)
  • Sorry to hear about this. They have done some roads around here (south cambs) and they are awful.

If you want proper off road you could try this.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/85541/Mud,-Sweat-and-Gears-Eastern-MTB-XC-Series-Round-5

Couldn't tell you what its like as its a new venue this year but the Fields and Frasers will be there.
    Stuart
  • Just to say that if people are looking for a chance to stretch their legs, there's a 3/4 road race on the Whitwell circuit starting at 1pm. I'm going to head down early and try and get a place on the reserve list, it looks likely though. I emailed the organiser, there's only 55 on the start sheet and a few guys have dropped out already... First come, first served on the line. 60m of racing, with a couple of nice little lumps in it, you'll know the roads if you haven't done it before, they feature in the club runs fairly often.
  • Have a good one Will.

Fair play to the council, i got a response about the road:

'All surface dressing sites receive 3 back sweeps after the works is completed to remove any excess chippings.

These take place 24Hrs, 3 Days and 7 Days after the works is completed.

However, if the weather is particularly hot, the sweeping cannot be done as there is a high risk that the material would be damaged so it is left until the temperatures cool.'

However i bet the weather is too hot right now!
  • What they mean to say is...

"we can't be bothered to repair the roads properly, so we quickly fill the potholes and liberally cover the whole road with stones to make it look like we have done something more than
    what we actually have. At some point over the next 6 weeks we will come and sweep up some of the stones, but by this time your bike / car has probably been peppered with flying chippings which have then conveniently dispersed themselves onto the verge, saving us a job. Don't bother coming to us complaining, we put signs up saying only drive at 10mph - which of course we understand that nobody takes a blind bit of notice of"

Needles to say I had to pay £300 to have the lower part of my front bumper resprayed after they had carried out similar 'road repairs' along the A505 a couple of years ago!
  • They've closed the road again today. My fingers are crossed that they're fixing some of the problems they've caused, rather than creating new ones. (If I wasn't laughing, I'd be crying)

In Yorkshire I rode over at least one long stretch of beautiful new tarmac. Miraculously it ran smoothly right across both lanes. No rutting, not the slightest hint of a repaired pothole ... and none of us had to wade through bucket-loads of gravel. I said at the time that it'd be a nice idea to take those road-builders home with us. And now I really wish we had
  • Any idea of a re scheduled date for this event yet ?