Welcome to the forum

CCA Cyclo-Cross Race Help Needed

edited August 2013 in Road Racing
Hi all,

This years club Cyclo-Cross promotion will be on Saturday 21st September. As usual it will be part of the Eastern League and run at Knights Templar Sports Centre, Baldock.

Please sign up to help on the day. I will need course builders, marshals, signing on staff, a catering team, a commentator/announcer and a First Aider. I can't let any club riders compete until I know we have all jobs covered.

Thanks,
Mark.

Comments

• Mark,

I don't mind helping in course building or marshal duties, but I'm hoping to ride myself. P.s if the Pa system goes down count me in, LOL

Shelton aloud
  • Hi Mark,
    Put me down for whatever you need. Would like to ride also but understand if that isnt possible.
  • hi mark, i will be a course builder again, as i hope to be racing on the day
  • I am 50% available. Would like to race but likewise understand if not possible. Will firm up as soon as possible.
  • I am available to help and would like to race as well.
  • I'll come early and help but would like to race this year
  • Can we do a team relay if the jobs aren't all covered then?
  • I am willing to help setting up and marshalling and won't be racing! Talk to you more on the Tour of the Cornfields on 31st August.

John
  • Mark,
    Same as previous years let me know and I will do..

Fiona and her Mum OK for catering as well if you wish..
  • Mark,

Just to confirm I can do cakes and if you have any day/night before or really early morning jobs I can do those - I'd need to be away from Knights by 8.45am-so I don't know what time you sort the course but I can help with that if its early enough.

Sallie
  • Hi Mark
    have emailed you

Stuart
  • Happy to course build and then marshall for the first races, but hoping to race in the afternoon of course
  • Thanks all who have come forward so far.

I need more marshals and judges to look after the races. I will need a judging team of 6 (to allow for breaks) and 6 marshals for each race. Plus I need an announcer/commentator during the races. I would like as many club members to be able to race as possible but first priority is putting the event on. Stevie and I have been promoting this event for about 9 years now and have never had the chance to ride it.

Mark.
  • What is the timing of this event, i have a race in the afternoon but could help till around 12?
  • edited September 2013
    Right, we are getting there.

I still need 1 more judge to make things work. Ideally I need a runner as well to carry things to and from the HQ. Would suit someone aged 12 - 16 with a bike. If 1 more person comea forward to help with judging then everyone who wants (apart from me) should be able to ride. That is assuming all those riding help with building the course from 8am (no later if we are to get it set up in time) and marshal the races they are not taking part in and help with taking the course down.

There will be two marshalling slots, 10:15am - 12:45pm and 12:45pm - 3pm. It means those riding will not have time to warm up on the course but it's not particularly technical so it shouldn't be a problem.

Therefore I think the list now is as below. Please let me know if you can be added or shouldn't be there.
    Course building (8am - 10:15am)
    Shelton Pell
    Jon Chapman
    Tim Duckett
    Theo Doncaster
    Daniel Doncaster
    James Davis
    Phil Keen
    Nathaniel Rosa
    Barnabas
    Fields x 4
    Bryn Davies
    Cameron and Oli Woolsey
    Tim and Henry Skelding TBC
    John Polack
    Pete Daniels

First Aid
    Jez Ross and Jill

Chief Marshal (10am - 3pm)
    Stewart Woolsey
    Assistant - Stephen Davies

Signing on 9:00am - 13:30pm
    Stevie Wyer
    Christine Chapman

Catering 9am - 3pm
    Fiona Woolsey + 1
    Constable x 2 TBC

Commentator 10:15am - 3pm
    Phil Adams

Runner
    Jack Darts

Judges 10:15am - 3pm
    Jamie Quiggin
    Steve Kirtlands
    Barnabas
    Alison Maynard
    Mark or Anna Fraser
    Mark Bracci

Marshalling am (10:15 - 12:45pm)

All those racing in the afternoon

Marshalling pm (12:45 - 3pm)

All those racing in the morning

Taking course down

Stewart Woolsey to supervise.
    All those who raced
  • Mark

Put me down for the day set up judge taking down etc. will be there for 8am

Mark
  • I am now 90% able to be there. The only thing that might derail it is if our child decides to come into this world on the exact due date, which is unlikely as family tradition is about 2 weeks late.

Happy to do whatever is needed. If able to race would be in the elite Vets (afternoon) but will marshal instead if we are short.
  • Thanks Mark and John,

That's judging sorted but unfortunately I now need a First Aider. The friend I hoped would be able to cover it can't do that day.

Does anyone know a First Aider who can help out. Otherwise if I get another judge I might be able to free up someone else to be the First Aider.

Mark.
  • hi mark, I can do first aid and have sent you an e-mail,
    jez
  • edited September 2013
    Jez,

That's great thanks. We have a runner booked as well now so everything covered.

List amended above.

Mark.
  • Hi mark
    I'm new to the club but if you still need help I'm free that day. I am also first aid trained if you need additional cover. Let me know if you need me please. Jill
  • Jill,

Thanks, yes please. I'll put you down as marshal and assistant First aider. Can you pm me your email address.

Mark.
  • Hi all,

The catering team need home made cakes for the day if anyone can bring one/some along.

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Mark
    I will help set up courses in morning. Then will do vets race but could do with heading off for family commitments after that. Lucy will ride the under 10s so need to get her ready but as I recall the course gets set up first.
  • edited September 2013
    Hi all,

Here are the details for the Cyclo-Cross race at Knights Templar on Saturday 21st September. Please let me know as soon as possible if you have to drop out from helping.

Those who want to ride on the day, can you please note that you can claim average league points for helping on the day instead of riding. As many of you know riders were turned away from the race last Sunday so if anyone is not desperate to ride then claim your average points instead. It might mean that someone travelling from a long way away gets to ride rather than having a wasted journey.

There are between 250 – 300 people riding at each round so it takes a lot of people to make sure things run smoothly. In addition there will be a couple of football matches going on so we need to marshal those carefully.

Anyone who is intending to ride needs to help with getting the course set up (including youth age riders). I need people who have ridden before to do this as you all know what a course should look like.

8am Course Setup. Please meet me on the field at the trailer at 8am. I will be on site from 7:30am so if you can get there earlier please be there. We need to get the course up by 10:00am ideally. The team leaders will supervise setting up the course, but it needs to be 3m wide as much as possible. Avoid using stakes and tape on the inside where a hedge or fence creates a natural barrier. Just loop tape around posts rather than tying it to every single post. Make sure the course does not run on away pitches. Use trees instead of stakes where possible. Always check that a rider can’t take a short cut and make sure that any obstacle (especially the hurdles) cannot be gone round. When setting up we should have radio contact so you can check things with me. Please can you bring a pair of old gloves as well for rubbish collection.

Please note that I have had to make a few changes from last year’s course. As the Under 10s/Under 12’s race will be run first we have to set their course up open to ride. I will mark their course with red plastic pennants. In addition I have had to move the finish line although the start line will be where it was last year.

We will be providing a packed lunch for all those who are helping out on the course but not riding. At the moment the list is Jez Ross, Jill, Jack Darts, Phil Adams, James Q, Steve K, Barnabas, Alison, Mark B – any more then please remind me. Jack will deliver these.

Course building Team Leaders
    Theo
    Phil K
    Tim D

Mark.
  • edited September 2013
    Hi all,

A couple of complications have arisen as those of you who are league members will have heard.

I therefore need an extra person (out of the existing volunteers) to help with the signing on between 9:15am and 11:15am. Could someone please volunteer for this.

There will be huge pressure on parking space. We need to keep the main Centre Car Park free for regular gym users so I need a Car Parking marshal between 9:15am and 10:15am and someone to take over and do between 10:15am and 11:15am. Not the most exciting of jobs but vital.

Can all helpers please park on the school yard opposite the sports centre.

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • I'm happy to help with the signing on Mark. Or the parking.