Welcome to the forum

Chiltern Hundred - SUNDAY 1st June

edited December 2013 in Sportives
There isn't any info online at the mo, but it'll be broadly the same deal as the 2013 Chiltern Hundred

Team entries have just opened for the 2014 event, so I took the liberty of registering a team for Cycle Club Ashwell. This means we have 15 places reserved for us.

If you want to ride in the event, you have to enter online as an individual. And this entry process won't open until mid-January. (I'll post again nearer the time)

Comments

• edited January 2014
    I'M IN
  • might be tempted this year, after 3 years in a row I skipped 2013 but need to feel the pain and agony of whiteleaf again...
  • Great stuff! The blue train rides again ...
  • This was tremendous fun this year - a must for 2014. I'm IN too

Daniel
  • edited January 2014
    Entries will open on Friday 17th January at 09:00 for people who rode last year. Friday 24th for everyone else

Gold team award: >15 points. This is equivalent to either 4 gold + 2 silver individual performances, or 5 gold + 1 bronze individual performances. Only our 6 top-performing riders on the day will score points for the team. NB your individual performance is assessed according to age and gender, so it's not necessarily the fastest riders that contribute the most points ... and you can score just as many points in the Medio as you can in the Gran Fondo

Could 2014 be the 1st year that CCA wins a team GOLD?

Bring it on!
  • Just bringing this back to the top
  • Definitely up for this
  • UPDATE: this event is now being managed by Human Race. People who entered last year get priority - they're going to open the online entry process at 09:00 on Friday for 2013 riders (22:00 for everybody else)

I'm told that the Team event will still run, though there's no mention of it on the website

I hear that the price has almost doubled - I paid £23 last year

What do you think about all this? I'd be a whole lot happier if it was still being run by Verulam CC, 'run by cyclists, for cyclists'. Call me a cynic, but I'm yet to be convinced that Human Race could make the event more enjoyable for me.
  • Agree with your sentiments about Human Race Jane but will be entering anyway.

The mail I got from Eddie Spriggs says that the team captain needs to send him a mail with the team details - who's going to be Captain?
  • I was a bit shocked when I saw £30 / £40 in the email
  • edited January 2014
    Just had confirmation from Eddie. Team Cycle Club Ashwell is definitely on the list and he's got me down as captain, (which just means any new info regarding the Team Event will be sent to me)

In previous years, that's all the info he's needed from the captain. Everybody who wants to ride must enter as an individual via the online system. Make sure you write 'Cycle Club Ashwell' as your club name on the form and then you'll be able to score points for us in the Team Event.

Eddie is holding 15 places for us, because the club is registered for the Team event, but we can have as many riders as we want - you just need to make sure you enter before the event sells out. NB this is how it worked in previous years and if I hear of any changes, I'll post them on this thread.
  • I dont think you are being overly cynical Jane. Will be great though im sure.

You will make a great Captain too. Hope the recovery is going well! keep us posted.
  • agree shame that its gone all corporate, although the email did say that Verulam and Eddie will still be involved.
    its a great event, well organised and more importantly its actually on a weekend i can make it, so i'll be signing up.
  • Why do we want to ride this as a sportive? Can we not just ride the route one Sunday?
  • Agree with sentiments above. Whilst it is a sportive and not a race there is something competitive in riding with hundreds of others and seeing how well one compares....However, Daniel makes a really good point..we know the route and have 150 of our own adult members..why not do our own.....
    Also, if it's hills you want then come up here...Hilly though the Chiltern hundred is I can better it. 9 mile climbs average 10%. Have just planned a 97mile one http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/343237681 check it out.
    Hopefully when we are better settled we should be able to host a large club long weekend with accommodation...no charges either..just get yourselves up here and ride.
    £40+ sounds a lot and agree it has gone corporate.
  • I was thinking the same Daniel, what is everyone going to do? I don't mind either way.
  • If there's enough of us, we could park 2 cars at strategic positions on the route and have our own refreshment stops ... or just use a couple of cafes instead? (Might be a bit cheeky to do it on 1st June though?)

Come to think of it, we could still treat it as a 'race'- fastest riders open up the car boot and make it a super-fast pit stop for the rest of the team ... then speed on to the next pit-stop ... and on to the finish, aiming to score a team gold. (Who needs timing chips anyway!)
  • edited January 2014
    * I will enter sometime next week when an invoice comes through. I was just agreeing that doing our 'own' could be a good idea / feasible
  • My post above is a straightforward question, I am not proposing that I organise a ride along the same route as the Chiltern 100 at another time (although of course someone else could). I was interested to get a discussion going on why people choose sportives over simply riding that route.

For me personally I enjoy the atmosphere of a really big club run (the sportive); however I am not fond of the very big events the massive Wiggle or Kilo to Go ones. The other attraction of a sportive is a cracking route often in a part of the country you don't know.

So for clarity there is currently no proposal to do 'a special club run'.

Daniel
  • its a good question, why not just ride it on a different day as a club event (it has to be a different day, not the 1st june). does make it a different kind of event though.
    the chiltern 100 has always been a model sportive, well organised and signed, no queues to sign on, no queues at all in fact, great route, good foodstops etc.
    and you get the buzz of riding with other riders and clubs, and thanks to the strong blue trains of recent years, mostly overtaking others, in fact pretty sure we had two consecutive
    top 10 finishers in this event in previous years, alex and phil?

if someone wants to organise a chiltern ride as a club run on a different date that would be great. but there is already a lot of ideas floating around for this year, lakes, ireland, yorkshire, ventoux 3 ways, alpes, belgium, norfolk etc plus it would be great to get some 100 miler club runs from ashwell going again, like the one down to the edge of the chilterns, geoff denny, hatfield forest etc. in reality all these events wont happen as people dont have the time to organise them and there arent enough riders with enough time to do all these events.

so to cut a long story short i'm going to sign up for the organised chiltern 100, if there is a seperate 'club run' chiltern 100 on a seperate date and i can make it i'll do that too!
  • Stef, I've done the same as you! Last year was a blast riding as a squad and 'eating up' those miles.

Effectively sportives are long time trials and if you ride together they are team time trials.
  • entered, to be clear its £30 for priority entry if you've riden it before, not £40.

daniel, team time trial - spot on, you said what i meant in far fewer words.

skelders, hope to see you out soon.

i'm up for the london phoenix easter classic as well
  • edited January 2014
    I'd rather not use Human Race: I don't like the kind of sportive culture they cultivate (actually I think they obliterate the bits of sportif culture that I've grown to love) ... and it's even less attractive when the price goes up to pay for all the razzamataz that I don't want!

However, I really don't want to see the CCA contingent split on 1st June between the sportive and a rebel group. I'm conscious too that in the last couple of years, the results for the Team Event didn't ever get published. So on the plus side, perhaps now that there are more resources behind event logistics, Eddie will have headroom to run the Team Event the way he thinks it should be?

I did have a brilliant ride last year and our blue train definitely made its mark. I remember a few grinning faces at the finish when we realised that we'd narrowly missed getting a team gold. I wasn't the only one who vowed to return in 2014 to put that right. So I'm going to give Human Race one chance at the Chiltern Hundred
  • Entered.
    6hr 49min last year, so I put 6:30-7:00 as my expected ride time

If like me, you rode this even last year but haven't received their 'priority rider' email (£30.50 instead of £40.50) just call Human Race on 0208 391 3913.
    Priority entry process is open already. It opens to the rest of the world on Friday 24th Jan.
  • really good to see such a club ethos...hope you all have a great day. I agree that this was probably one of the best organised sportives. I may see you on the Phoenix...was a great sportive.
  • Entery confirmed, what did people say for their expected completion? I said 5-5.30 has anyone else gone for that time this year
  • 4-4:30 I think

(te he)
  • entered just to see Skelders do under 4-30 in his skin suit