Welcome to the forum

Chiltern Hundred - SUNDAY 1st June

Comments

• haha robbie

Just booked a wedding for the day before this, so likely a ridiculously late night for me, going to be interesting!!!
  • unfortunately said skinsuit doesnt go above my knees at the moment!!
  • Me and David are in for the medio? Anyone else fancy a medio blue train?

Looking forward to those gravelly descents again!
  • I'm in.
    John
  • I'm in...good training for the Dragon Ride the following week...apparently!

You can tell how corporate and regimented this is all getting...under the terms and conditions I spotted the following:

I agree that participation in the event is personal to me, I am strictly prohibited from swapping, selling or transferring my place in the event or allowing any other person to wear my swim hat and participate in my place.

How do they know the weather forecast that far in advance?!

John
  • https://www.rapha.cc/glory-through-suffering?locale=UK

The chilterns are mentioned in the same article as galibier :p
  • I've entered this.

Note that there are currently 1667 entries across both distances. I'm not sure how close this is to the event maximum?

If you're thinking of riding but haven't entered yet, maybe do it sooner rather than later...
  • Calling Vince ....
    Blue train needs YOU too
  • edited March 2014
    current squad

Jane
    Daniel
    Skelders
    Andrew
    Stef
    Nathaniel
    MC
    Robbie
    John
    Shaun

Medium
    ------
    Emma
    David

looking awesome.

ps. yeah, vince? Will? Martin?
  • I'm sat with Vince right now. Rode to Cambridge together today across that 'strade bianchi' farm lane bit after Barrington hill to get you into Cambridge thru the backdoor. Never done that before. Amazing to see my laptop actually booted up after that jiggling and wasn't just a bag of silicon crumbs.

Any road. We are talking each other into getting Senator John Kerry to take timeout from the Crimea negotiations to see if he can help us get a day off to join the blue train. Unfinished business with this ride for me having pulled up ill in 2011 on 99.99 miles, realising then that the Chiltern 100, is actually 110 miles.

Just recalled trundling through the ride at 10mph clearly unwell with a high fever, yet some dude in all the Sky gear was trying to draft behind me. For different reasons: a couple of losers.
  • 2014's gonna be a summer to remember, I reckon

Year of the turbocharged blue train ... and (with a little bit of luck) a Chiltern Hundred team gold
  • I'm racing on the first. If I've lost my bottle by then (which is entirely likely after not finishing my last 3 races) then I'll join you!
  • Worried now about those hills....

.....I have 3 months to get myself much fitter and lighter (I have to lose 11kgs just to weigh the same as Magnus Backstedt!) and then attempt to hold on for grim death to the blue train for a few miles before blowing up.....

...maybe I should buy some tubs....or eat them?!

John
  • edited March 2014
    There's a couple of names missing from Nathan's list above.

Robbie, Ian S and John T have a different club name / team name. Perhaps they can correct it?

I think this is the current list:

Gran Fondo (177 km) MC
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Stef
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Daniel
    Gran Fondo (177 km) MartinH
    Gran Fondo (177 km) JohnL
    Gran Fondo (177 km) AndrewR
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Nathan
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Skelders
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Jane
    Gran Fondo (177 km) MarkW
    Gran Fondo (177 km) JohnT
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Robbie
    Gran Fondo (177 km) IanS
    Gran Fondo (177 km) Shaun
    Gran Fondo (177 km) MartinL

Medio Fondo (122km) David
    Medio Fondo (122km) Emma
  • sorry all

i won't be with you this year, i will be in sunny florida (what a bummer).

see you all soon

strappy
  • No room in Strappy's suitcase... so I'm in for the Grande Fondochino!

Looking forward to it. I'll be looking for a lift down.

null
  • blue train looking good. we've had some good turns out in the past,
    from the archives, 2011 over 20 riders

2010 also good
  • 2011. That was a crazy one! Hi one and all from France. Some awesome sportives here....come and play!
  • If I am still in the UK, 01 June is my 50th birthday & judging by my 2 weeks back on the bike thus far, I'd be fit enough.... but planning a.n.other eastern adventure as I type so I don't want to sign on the dotted line 'til I know where I'll be. That's my neck o' the woods after all (Bushey).
  • Bring it on.
  • "I am reviewing the situation.....I think I'd better think it out again!"
  • sadly cant make this now.
    free place up for grabs if anyone wants it.
    i'm signed up for the gran fondo, but you can choose to do the shorter routes on the day if you prefer (although you know you want to the full 100!)

if you can use the place post here and i can contact the organiser and swap the entry.
  • I just got an email from the chiltern people

Refreshments available at the food stop:

PowerBar energy drinks
    PowerBars and PowerBar shots
    Bananas
    Bourbon biscuits
    Jaffa cakes
    Jelly babies
    Wine gums
    Flapjacks
    Salted pretzels
    Dried cranberries

I'm bringing a rucksack!!
  • edited May 2014
    OK Team, there's been some confusion about whether the organiser is going to allocate individual start times to us on Wednesday - and if so, does it mean we can't start together?

The good news (just in from Eddie, of Verulam CC) is that we can elect to start together - 'Riders will be released in groups of 30, so just tell the starter that you want to be released together ... it will help if you all wear CCA kit'.

Unfortunately, Medio riders cannot start before 8:45 and you will skip the first 30 miles or so of the Gran anyway, so my suggestion is to start whenever suits you (8:45 - 9:25am) - but remember that you have every chance of scoring just as many points as anybody in the Gran Fondo, so give it your all.

For CCA riders in the Gran Fondo, we can start between 7 and 8:40am. So I propose we meet at 7:30 at Old Bovingdon Airfield, get into the 'start queue' and aim to start before 8am.
    Going for gold this year (and it will be a CCA 1st) we have: Shaun, MC, John P (formerly Stef), Daniel D, Martin H, Alex (formerly John T), Mark W, Martin L, Robbie, John L (fortified on scrumpy and no longer wavering, I hope), Andrew, Nathan, Ian S, James B (formerly Skelders) and me (clinging to the end of the alphabet and probably to the end of the blue train too).

Any queries, post here. If not, looking forward to seeing you bright and early on Sunday. C'mon CCA!
  • Fortified on zider, but neither fit nor mad enough for the full monty, so I've opted for the Medio instead. Good luck everyone.

Scrumpy John
  • Ok John
    Next year then :)
  • edited May 2014
    Hello guys

I'm not going to be able to come. My new cassette hasn't been delivered yet (reason enough) and also I'll be too tired on sunday, long day of work tomorrow

So gutted.

If anyone wants my chip let me know here asap because I'm only around till 12 tonight

ps. have fun!
  • Hi Nathaniel!

Shame you can't make it this year - needed your wheel to cling onto in the hills

I have not heard from JT just yet and was going to take his entry - could I get your chip/entry just to be sure I get it in time?

Let me know what you need me to do.

Alex
  • No Nathaniel? Won't be the same without you.

However if you can't make it we have to accept that.

I could collect your chip tomorrow and meet up with Alex on Sunday at Bovingdon. Would this help?

Daniel
  • Hi Daniel

Hope you have a good time

Alex now has my chip, though thanks for the offer!

Alex is a fine replacement!!