Welcome to the forum

edited April 2018 in Chain gangs

Comments

• Hi Andy
    There is a good group from the Saturday club run ready for this. This is the core who continued the Intro ride from last year. I think this group can push on a little further too this year.
    Work commitments mean I can't join until 20th May.

So, I look forward to hearing how you all go and then joining you shortly.

Cheers
    Peter
  • Was great fun last year. enjoyed it tremendously. Highly recommended.

However, unlikely that I will get to the Tuns from London for 7pm, so enjoy everyone.

John
  • There are rumours that another pirate may join in the fun!
  • Pete 2 has mentioned this a couple of times and James 2 normally rides with the Black Pig on a Sunday as well!
  • Hi Peter! I think we should try to keep it the same and people should move up through to the faster rides when they're ready. That way new people would be encourage to have a go and not get blown off the back. One way to manage this is to do a couple laps of the short course at 20ish, then try to push it on hard on a third long lap for those that want to do that. How does that sound?

I like the idea of starting at 6:30 or 6:45 to get back for supper and bed at a reasonable hour ... but what do people want to do???
  • Hi Andy,

Yes, wholeheartedly agree with you. Just flagging that the core group that continued from last year are capable of going faster. The group was pretty disciplined and I'm sure will be so again. Your suggestion is certainly a good way for everyone to get going again.

Cheers

Peter
  • Yes I'm definitely up for this again - was great fun last year!

Let's start it as an 'intro' as there will be some new people, and take it from there...
  • I'll be keen to have a go this year. Are we looking to start next week?
  • Is this kicking off again this Tuesday - tomorrow, 06th May?
  • Ya, we could start tonight if we can agree a start time. 6:30???

I was a trackie for the last half of my competitive career and thus ... I do NOT like to get wet. I know I know, harden the flock up! ;-) But seriously, if it's wet, I will be in my home gym hurting myself!

AS
  • "competitive career"

Care to elaborate?

The forecast is for rain from about 7pm.
  • Revision & weather permitting, Rebecca will be with you .
    We assume it is a 6.30 start at Three Tuns - please let us know if it isn't

Many thanks
  • 6:30, Three Tuns, weather permitting!
  • edited May 2014
    Tonight we're going to learn to ride pacelines with no hands! Yes, I really was this skinny once ...

http://www.dailypeloton.com/article_images/skeen/Andrew1.jpg

• edited May 2014
    This is the best rain radar image of the UK: http://www.raintoday.co.uk/
  • Sorry - the sun came out and I went for a gentle trundle 'round on my touring steed for 2.5hrs.

http://www.strava.com/activities/138117441
  • Ah right, I'm not going to make it in time anyway.
  • Is there a group out this evening?
  • Right, weather permitting, we'll try this again next week. This is not to be confused with Geoff's "Starter" group. I think we should stick with what worked last year as that's what it sounds like everyone wants???

Did we ever agree what would be a good and convenient time for everyone to start?

Andy
  • Andy

7 pm generally worked best last year. I plan to be out Tuesday.

Peter
  • Yes 7 is good for me, difficult to get there much before that. Hopefully we'll get some nice dry weather for a change...

Tim
  • FDFD
    edited June 2014
    Always a struggle personally to get there in time for the start at 7pm, but mostly joined part way through each evening last year.

Highly recommended to all who want to learn group skills at a good pace.

John
  • Okay cool. 7 it is, from the Tuns for an hour of fun! See you then. Open to all, and don't be overly intimidated by the average speed. I think we started out last year doing 18s, then wound it up towards the 20 mark when people got comfy. New riders will be surprised at how you can maintain such a speed when you've grasped the fundamentals of rotating paceline riding.

Andy
  • I might come out with you guys tomorrow, for some miles
  • If it's wet I won't make it. Chaingang riding in the wet is truly miserable and a bit dangerous. I took up the track so I didn't have to put up with that silliness!
  • I will be there. Anyone wanting to learn to ride chain gang. Depends on who comes as to speed but won't be fast. That is for the more competent and fitter riders.
    If it is just drizzle o.k. If it is serious rain then I won't be doing it this week. I am starting at 6,30 from the Three Tuns. Anyone later just ride out there and cycle wrong way round Abbington Piggotts course until you meet us then join on.
  • edited June 2014
    Please note that this is not Geoff's Starter/kid group. The Intro Chaingang starts at 7pm as per last year and as agreed above by the participants, from the Tuns at 7pm.
  • Looks like rain. check the radar on raintoday.co.uk.
  • Its pretty persistent here in Bassingbourn!
  • Finally, weather is looking good for tomorrow!
    See you at 7 pm at the Tuns
    Peter