Welcome to the forum

The Introduction of a Medium/Fast Saturday ride, any takers?

edited August 2009 in Club runs
I have a new dilemma starting in a couple of weeks which I know others will also have or indeed already have! My son’s football team is changing match day from Saturday to Sunday mornings!!!! It is therefore unlikely that I will make regular Sunday rides during the footy season.

I have spoken with David Jones & James Boyle about starting a middle group ride on a Saturday morning and both think it’s a good idea.

I would like to propose that initially, while the weather is still good, that it’s an 08:30 start and look to do 45-50 miles at c18/19’s. The early start is mainly due to Saturday’s still being a rather busy day!!! Then as winter sets in, drop the speed to concentrate on base training and time permitting (& subject to Director of Internal Affairs approval) keep the distance up.

I know Robbie already does Saturday rides for the same reason and also that Jon S & Adam H could be up for it as they definitely have the same problem (their boys are in the same team!!). There may even be some of you who have less weekend family commitments/jobs/chores who could do TWO rides in a weekend.... wow imagine that luxury!!! Either way let me know if there is interest and i’ll start getting my maps out ?

Cheers

Tim

Comments

• Sounds like a good idea Tim - and indicative of a growing, thriving club.

Don't forget everyone - we have a database list of mapped rides already [plenty o' 45-50 milers here already]. It would be nice to grow this further. Send me your links or jpeg files and I will update and upload.

http://www.ccashwell.com/rides.html
  • Great idea. I would be up for a Saturday ride. When you thinking of starting?
  • Not sure when his season starts but I think it links in with the school term ??? so a couple of weeks time. watch this space...
  • edited August 2009
    I'm a regular Saturday rider, and although I will not be joining you, as the distance and average speed is too much for me..... I am sure you will have no problem in getting other riders out to join you.

It will also give any faster Saturday riders something to move up to on a Saturday, if they cannot make Sundays for whatever reason.

Adam (on the Audax bike) from Steele Morden for example may be interested?

Good luck....

John
  • Tim

We discussed this briefly and I'm definitely up for it. I'd even be happy to convene earlier and add another 10+ miles to the proposed distances.

Adam
  • I'm up for it Tim, but it's likely to be every other Saturday for me.

Stuart
  • Anything happening tomorrow????
  • nope, I'm at the Tour of Britain :-)
  • Be nice to organise one for this Sat. Any takers?
  • Hey Adam, how woz the Alps???
  • Cor - it was incredible. I've a horrible feeling I've done the cycling equivalent of a moon landing; I'm not sure there is an experience to be had on two wheels that'll compare (apart from la Marmotte, now firmly pencilled in for 2010). Thought I'd seriously underestimated things when I got to the top of the cat 2 Col des Aravis and felt knackered on the first day. From there, however, it was (almost literally) uphill all the way. The Col de la Madeleine was amazing - 15 miles along and 1 mile up. Telegraphe was an utter bitch, Galibier is like nothing else; you climb out of a nice cosy little town up what feels like the roof of the world (I know this, 'cos my banana froze up the top) followed by a 23 mile descent through the cloud line. After all that, Alpe D'Huez was a little anticlimatic; I did it in 1h 18 and feel I could have knocked a good few mins off that if I'd pushed it.

I'm in The Comet this week I think - with apparel by T.Skelding and Son Clothing Stores of course - so might get a few more quid. With some outstanding pledges I might get to £4,500.
  • sounds fantastic, well done!!
  • Ta.

So...we riding this Sat, then?
  • I won't be as its a cup game on sunday and is an afternoon kickoff so will be out ON THE REGULAR RUN :-)
  • Alright for you - I've got to take no.2 son to rugby. Something about the fact that I've been the Alps and on sportives for the last month...
  • edited September 2009
    Well done Adam - I've just been reading your Twitter. Flipping 'eck! Good to see a CCA jersey on top of the Alps. Brings a tear to the eye...

Can you donate online? If so, stick the link here eh?

I can probably do a couple of hours early Saturday if that suits? 8am? This is scenic and the forecast good;
    http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/united-kingdom/ashwell/96892410

Frozen banana going up the Galibier? You want to get a new saddle maybe?

Martin
  • I knew the banana comment would attract a double entendre - but since you are very kindly offering to sponsor me I'll let it go :-)

It's http://www.justgiving.com/adamandclayton/

See you Sat - outside the garage?
  • edited September 2009
    Aye - outside the garage, 8am.

By the way all - justgiving.com is great for easy donating if you're ever doing a charity ride or somesuch - recommended.

Martin
  • Sounds good in the Alps Adam. Despite freezing your fruit it seems like you were going very well; 1h18' up Alpe D'Huez is impressive. See you there in July! Daniel
  • Sure will - I'm taking your advice and driving down myself. You made plans yet?
  • No plans yet. However already we can assume three people, you, me and Tony Pez. Add to the list a car and I think we have a plan!
    Daniel
  • I'm up for it guys..any details/costs/hotel/gite??..transport?

any more?
  • CCA to storm the Alps! There's loads of packages, without which it seems hard to book a place long in advance. Daniel - as a veteran, what's the score here?
  • Yes... Saturdays will be good for me chaps same reason as Skelders.
    8.30 start and 50+ miles sounds good too. Might go longer the deeper we get into winter but a tad slower eh.
    Will keep an eye on start date but looks more like end of October through to Easter for me. Cheers ears.
  • I may pop across as i get fitter subject to whatever my coach has in mind...
  • at the moment I'm still OK for Sundays, so I'm probably the same as Robbies in starting end of October'ish...
  • Right chaps. Who's up for this Saturday for the first medium/fast? Start 8.30am for a 60m ride?
  • Hi robbie, I'm up for a Saturday morning cruise. Meeting at the garage?
  • Chaps. As a brand new member to the club I would love to join you on the earlier Saturday run. Hope you've got room for one more!
    I've got the same rugby issues as you on a Sunday - Letchworth Under 7s preventing me getting out on my bike.
    Cheers
    Chris B
  • Cool. At the garage at 8.30am.
    Later in the year we might move this to the pavilion on the recreation ground when the weather gets really bad.