Welcome to the forum

Wells-next-the-Sea

edited March 2015 in Club runs
Since being a member of the club I have not been able to do the Wells ride, due to the day.
Following discussion with some others I am going to suggest an extended Saturday ride in early May to Wells.
Either the 2nd or 9th May.

Who else would be up for this and which would be the preferred date?

Lease can someone post a link to the route or a gpx file.

Thanks

Adam

Comments

• I'm up for the 2nd May
  • I'm up for this - maybe incorporate into the usual Saturday 8am ride? Thinking early start and keep it rolling with some quick stops.
  • Ummm I'd be up for 9th...
  • 9th for me too. Map in my head doesn't stretch that far though so we definitely need a garmin.
  • I'm up for 9th
  • i will also be available on the 9th gulp
  • Looking like the 9th May will be the date.

This ride will very much be a extension of the Saturday 9.30 club ride.
    Pace 15/16mph with stops, to Wells for fish and chips, then to Kings Lynn for the train back.
    Probable start time of 9.00am.

Adam
  • I'm up for this too.
  • Poss the 9th is on for me
    Dom
  • Dave and I are both up for this. Remembering the lack of anything (water, snacks...) in Narborough, we have a potential mobile snack stop on offer. My parents are happy to bring water, tea, coffee, cake, beer, etc, if that would be welcome?
  • Is that the place where the shop only sells cat food?
  • I'm in for the 9th.
  • Yes, literally cat food. Maybe dog food. Nothing to sustain hungry cyclists.
  • Would this be available for non-members? Got a couple of Meridian Tri buddies who might be up for it.
  • Not that this ride is anyone's specific ride, as I started the thread I will respond.
    The plan for the ride was to be a extension of the normal Saturday club ride.
    15-16mph. Good social company and not to leave me too far behind.
    Would not be my place to stop anyone riding. If want to ride with us then need to match the pace and have suitable group riding skills.
    Hope that helps
    Adam
  • edited April 2015
    One of the things I like about CCA is that non-members are welcome to ride with us from time to time - assuming they respect the highway code, the safety of other riders and of course our beloved sport

There's probably a rule about how many 'sample' rides you get before it becomes socially unacceptable NOT to become a paid-up member of CCA?
  • I'm up for it, providing it's fair weather and hopefully not a strong easterly wind. I don't fancy Belgian weather!

Is 9.00 not a bit of a late start? The three rides I've done all started at 8.00 and this one, at 15-16 mph, might be a tad slower.

Please don't rely on my Garmin skills either, just ask those who came on last years ride why!!!

Vic
  • yes we ask that any non-club members join after 5 rides with the club, think that's reasonable.

its worth pointing out in a case like this that while riding with you, people will assume they are cca so they need to remember their actions reflect on the club. sounds like you've got a good group building, hope the weather's good.
  • I could be ok for Sat 9th (assuming my back carries on improving)

I have Garmin, BUT this one has come dangerously close to being flung at a wall (!) on several occasions, so please don't rely on me/it as the sole navigator for a group. (It's an early theory, but it seems to work better with routes from BikeHike.co.uk and be less reliable with BikeMap or Mapmyride ... although of course, the problem might be nothing to do with that at all)
  • I loaded up the route on my garmin last time & seemed to work ok.....which is good because I've got a memory like a sieve!
  • Up for the 9th May, and think an 8am start is a no brainer considering the mileage.

Now i have a reason to get back on the bike for the first time since November, though i might
    need stabilisers !

How about non members visiting crumps butchers before the ride & donating a pie or a bottle or Duvel.
    Thus saving Martin & Matt a few quid and the inconvenience of transporting the refreshments half way across Norfolk.

ps. paying membership today !
  • Can we confirm this ride is on 9th May with an 8am start,also a couple of riders with reliable Garmins (Vic !)
    to lead it.

Maybe we can start getting a list together.
  • The conversations within the Saturday Club Run group confirm 9th May as the date.
    Start time on for 9.00am with 15-16ish pace.
    Will stop when we need to, and get food/drink on route as needed.
    As detailed earlier, that's for us.
    Others can start and travel at different times, pace, even different dates if they wish.
    I'm not going to "manage" a list of those riding.
    Just open for those that want to ride, to be at the Tuns just before 9.00.
  • Nice one Adam, thanks for organising - see you there at 9 (although probably not if the weather's horrible!).
    Cheers,
    Dave.
  • A reminder, having checked the weather forecast.
    Currently wind NNE :(
    But dry :)
    So still on for 9.00am on the 9th.
    After yesterday, for me, its going to be a long day......
  • Yes, I'm still planning to ride (weather permitting). As there's no badges on offer, I'll meet you at the petrol station on the Wimpole roundabout.
  • edited May 2015
    The wind's expected to pick up overnight and it could be a bit gusty tomorrow, but the good news is that it's coming from SW - which means we'll have a tailwind most of the way (except on the post-fish-and-chips section which might be a bit sluggish). Could be a bit of rain in Wells, but here's hoping the raincloud passes through before or after we do :)

A long steady ride should be good for me (and if it isn't, I'll leave the group and catch a train home). I'll map the route into Bikehike (copying Martin's routes, as posted above) in the hope that my Garmin will be helpful this time. We definitely need other Garmins and/or paper maps too. Bring 2 full bottles and plenty of food ... lights are a vgd idea too, just in case something happens and you're late getting home

So who's coming on Adam's mission to Wells? Vic? Anyone else with Garmin? Jenny Honorary-Wells?
  • I'm still on for this, and have loaded the routes into my new Garmin, so hopefully can act as a backup navigator.

Do we have at least one known food stop on the way, something that sells human food?!
  • From memory there are snack places in Ely, and my parents will be at Narborough with water, tea, coffee and cake. Apart from that dig out the biggest saddle bag you can find and fill with sustenance.

Can't wait...the weather isn't going to spoil this ride!