Welcome to the forum

Saturday 27th June - 5 peaks 5 counties challenge - 9am start in Hitchin

edited June 2015 in Club runs
Right, who is up for a proper tough challenge.

5 peaks - 5 counties. This is going to be a 110 mile route with almost 6000ft of climbing which takes in the highest points of Bedfordshire, Buckinghamshire, Hertfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Essex.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/715403507

Just to make it slightly more manageable, the start point will be Hitchin rail station at 9am (train from Royston/Baldock/Letchworth gets in at 8.55). Cafe/food stops will be at Wendover woods cafe, my house in Baldock and a final celebration in Royston (location TBC) before a train ride home. Club run pace & lots of support for the last two climbs of the day which are the smallest but hardest with 90 miles in your legs by then !!

Who's up for it ????

Comments

• Most definitely!

Happy to host the final celebration in my garden, just round the corner from Royston station.
  • I was up for this, changed my mind during the mid-Tumble hell, but seemed to have changed it back again. Dave and I will both be there, assuming the weather's looking OK.
  • Count me in.
  • Would have definitely been up for that but unfortunately working.
  • Let's go !!
  • Hi I will give this a go, but will be my longest ride to date - so if I am struggling will bail out and wend my way home. I take it we head West from Hitchin and then East to Essex and then West again to Royston. Useful to know if I have to bail out. Simon
  • Sounds fab - great route and (touching wood so as not to jinx it) proper summer weather too!

Unfortunately, I can't make this date, so I hope you do another one soon
  • Yep Simon, We head west out from Hitchin, do the highest points of Bucks and Herts and then head back to Baldock via the back of Hitchin. It's then a second loop up from Baldock to Great Chishill/Langley before back to Royston for a train home. Stop at Wendover (36 miles) and Baldock (75 miles) and Royston (110 miles). After the Wendover loop there are bail out options in Hitchin/Letchworth/Baldock/Sandon (to Ashwell) to get a train back.

Will post final details of the route later.
  • Yay, work cancelled so should be ok for this now.

Do we get a badge?
  • Ok, here are the details for Saturdays ride:

Meeting place Hitchin Station carpark - 9am.

Trains times to get into Hitchin at 9am are: 8.44 Royston; 8.52 Baldock and 8.55 Letchworth GC. (If you want to catch the train from Ashwell you will need to get earlier 8.21 which gets into Hitchin at 8.34) If you are not coming by train meet in the station carpark.

Here is the final route: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/715403507 109miles, 6000ft of climbing with 8 categorized climbs and numberous other lumps and bumps! Club run pace with nobody getting left behind.

Just so myself an Tim have some idea of numbers to cater for can you confirm if you joining the ride. Currently we have

myself
    Emma
    Tim
    MarkB
    DaveW
    Jenny
    MarkW
    SimonM
    AndrewR
    AlanT
    AdamR

Let me know if there are any other takers and I'll add you to the list.

Def think we need a badge for this one Mark ! Wonder if MartinL can work his magic.......

Going to be a great ride, looking forward to it. See you all Saturday!!
  • Looks like a testing route and ideal prep for Paris Nice!

Will join you, but bail out on return to Hitchin, as passes the top of my road, 2 minutes from Hitchin station.

Facilities available (both at start and return leg) and free parking outside house if anyone needs them.
  • edited June 2015

I'll make them tonight. Maybe secretly stash them near the end of the ride and text you David where. Sunny day Saturday - suncream yourselves! Have a great ride.
  • FD
    I could do with the free parking please
    Whisper me the address
    Will be there 8.45
    Thanks
  • All sounds great, and impressive badgery from Martin - I like the idea of hidden treasure on-route, maybe you could scatter some clues, pirate-style...

Tim, let us know what we can bring food-wise - I'm thinking we'll pick it up somewhere at the end of the ride rather than it fester in a hot car for the day...
    Dave.
  • edited June 2015
    Awesome badge Martin & and surely number 5 is the only option !!

For the stats fans out there here are the heights/locations of 5 peaks we will be conquering tomorrow:

Bedfordshire 243m/797ft Dunstable Downs

Buckinghamshire 267m/875ft Haddington Hill

Hertfordshire 244m/800ft NE shoulder of Pavis Wood

Cambridgeshire 146m/479ft Great Chishill

Essex 147m/482ft Chrishall Common

875ft for the Buckinghamshire peak - almost a mountain then !!
  • Can't beat a Therfield M
  • David
    Sounds great! Sadly I'm on a variant of #4 and won't make it. I'm gutted that I'm going to miss out on a great ride and the next great badge from Martin.
    I look forward to hearing tales of heroic suffering on Wednesday when you all go on to post pbs!
    Have a good one
    Peter
  • Sorry to say i am away,Have a great ride gutted i iz missing it.

Could you let me know if you are planning any other events as i can then book the time off : )

Thanx

Simon
  • I'll be there

thanks for organising

Andrew
  • Hi Dave
    Bob S and myself will be joining the expedition to many counties. Cu all at Hitching.
  • Mattss...........you can beat it up here if you want to :-)
    Have a great ride everyone.
  • Don't worry about bringing end of ride food unless you want to - I will be making some home-made pizzas tonight and have various other post-ride snacks etc. Also have stocked up on isotonic recovery drink - otherwise known as beer!
  • Sounds good Tim - I'm just about to start on the mid ride pasta salads and homemade cakes. Let's scrap the ride and just eat!
  • I'll be there too.
  • Also sounds good Emma! Just made 6 pizzas and act of will to not eat them. Fending off scavenging vulture teenage sons...they have been told touch the pizza and die ;-)
  • null

Legend talks of the mysterious black Five Peaks badge. For those one or two that make themselves immortal on this epic.
  • null

The booty is under this Berry Burst lamp post at Royston McDonalds. Hook a left on yer therfield descent.
  • Nice route

Afraid I made a break for it with Steve and the Dutchman as it's my family curry night but finished with 112 miles, 2100 metres of climbing and 15.0 average.

Was lucky enough to arrive at Royston station just before the Letchworth train so got home nice and promptly.

Hope someone can keep my badge for later..

Rgds

Andrew