Welcome to the forum

Saturday 27th June - 5 peaks 5 counties challenge - 9am start in Hitchin

2»

Comments

• Fantastic weather, fantastic company. I added most of the TT route once I peeled off at Baldock, so achieved my first 100! Hope you made the last two summits OK. Shane I've missed out on a badge! Thanks all. Simon
  • Thanks very much to David for a fantastic ride and great company from all. Good
    Hospitality from David and Emma also many thanks to Tim.
  • Great effort everyone! Really enjoyed the ride and special thanks to Emma/Dave for the pasta plus Tim for the pizza and beer - both lifesavers! Now off for well earned kip!
  • To echo the above, Emma, David and Tim really hit the mark with the rest stops...much appreciated. Such a good day's riding and a brilliant day out in the sun. Thanks all!
  • Thanks Martin, I'm way too tired to upload photos properly! Badges are fab...me and Adam got the black ones for doing 5 extra miles. There is a long winded explanation, but essentially we got lost!
  • edited June 2015
    Thanks all for a grand day out - 16 started and there were 10 finishers in Royston. Great route & amazing weather. Don't think that there was a bit of road anywhere on the ride that wasn't up or downhill, so much for living in a 'flat' part of the country!

Highlights were the climb up to Wendover woods and the big dip just outside Markyate. Low point was the disappointing layby that is the highest point in Hertfordshire, needs at least some some of sign, even Essex had that!

Last 20 miles were def the toughest, think that being on roads that we were all familiar with made it even harder.

So a final tally of 111 miles @ 15 and 6400ft of climbing.

Huge thanks to Tim for the most excellent homemade pizzas and beer, just what we all needed. Also thanks the MartinL for the superb badges, although people might have though we were a bit mad fishing around in maccy Ds carpark. Andrew and Simon I'll keep your badges safe for you.

What's next then????
  • Thanks David for arranging another great CCA ride! And to both you and Emma for the excellent mid-ride food and drink, a real lifesaver.

Difficult to think how we could trump this - most counties ridden in a day perhaps?
  • edited June 2015
    The Route

As Emma said was a bit up and down.
    5 miles extra for Jenny and me, earned us the Black Badges. Wendover High Street was pretty, but an unnecessary detour.
    I too will add thanks to Emma, David and Tim for the food. Very welcome.
    Great ride, great company.
    But why did I only have 3,400 calories used, compared to others at 4,600???
  • Thanks David for arranging the route yesterday and Andrew for navigating back to Hitchin.

Like Andrew, I had to get back home earlier, although not for a family curry!

I had to walk our dogs and pick up my new carbon hoops from Paul's Bikes before they closed.

77 miles @ 15mph, with Steve lifting the pace on the homeward journey.
  • What a day!

Great:- ride, company, weather, food, drinks and fun!

Many thanks to David + Emma and Tim for fab grub and drinks.

My first 100 and I am still able to walk today.
  • Yes, what a great day..although my legs were complaining this morning!! Thanks to Dave, Emma and Tim for the organisation and food, and everyone for good company.