Welcome to the forum

Tour of Cambridgeshire (Gran Fondo)

edited May 2016 in Sportives
Registration opens at 6am on Friday 14th August. Enter here

I enjoyed this event immensely this year and they're really trying to appeal to a wide range of riders in terms of experience, fitness and the level of challenge that we want. You can make it your first sportive, or take a leisurely tour with refreshment stops, or race it, or do something in between. Up to you. See this thread for write-ups from this years riders

They seem to have listened to 2015 feedback and are promising better signage, better access to feed stations and they're going to SMS every rider at the Finish with finish time, position ... and (if applicable) invitations to collect UCI Championships Qualifiers medals, plus podium calls

I'm in. C'mon CCA!

Comments

• Entered already.
  • FDFD
    edited August 2015
    Entered Gran Fondo - Sport
  • Grand Fondo for me too.
  • Which 'community' did you enter for? Sport?
  • Challenge for me, though not sure if it was the right one.
  • Don't think it makes any difference what community you are in...or does it?
  • edited August 2015
    The race timing was run from the gun this year so to stand a chance of a good time you would need to be penned at the front

Suggest you have a better chance of getting into the front pens if you put down race - though the very front pen was reserved for those with full (not provisional) BC racing licences this year.
  • Well, I went for Sport so I will hope for the best!
  • Same here..... Sport
  • I'm in - Gran Fondo, Sport
  • VicVic
    edited August 2015
    Emailed ToC to get my community changed to sport.

There's an email being sent out in mid September that will tell you how to amend your details and change community. So it doesn't matter which one you put down initially.
  • News from UCI:

o 2000 competitors are expected in the UWCT Final next week (30% more than last year)

o Just over 1/4 of entrants are British - a testament to the success of the inaugural Tour of Cambridgeshire and to how healthy our sport is in UK
  • Is anyone from CCA who qualified going over to Denmark?

I'm not, but have signed up for 2016 race/gran fondo.
  • Hi all. I have registered for the Sport category. Looking at the handbook it looks like I will have to register on the Saturday. Is anyone else in the Sport category age 45 - 49?
  • I've just received my rider number and 'final' information ... and discovered that on top of our entry fees, they want to charge us for parking: 'free before 08.00hrs, £10.00 from 08.00hrs to 10.00hrs, £20 from 10.00hrs to 11.30hrs. Between 11.30hrs to 12.00hrs VIP parking only at a cost of £50.' The Gran Fondo doesn't start until noon, so I've got no intention of arriving before 8am.

Last year it was free and IMO they did a good job of getting us parked quickly. This year, if thousands of competitors try to park in neighbouring streets to avoid the charge, it could create havoc for local residents! If you feel as peeved as I do, you might want to ping the organiser a quick email. Perhaps they'll reconsider.

enquiries@tourofcambridgeshire.com

Taking money off car drivers as they enter the ground not only slows the parking process down, but means their huge car park might have lots of empty spaces while the surrounding streets snarl up - a PR nightmare waiting to happen
  • Hi Jane - in the Race Book they give the reason for the change:-

The reason for this charge is to incentivise entrants to arrive early to help prevent the traffic 
    problems we caused on the A1 in 2015.  Unfortunately, in 2015 we experienced a peak arrival volume 
    of traffic in the period 09.00hrs to 10.30hrs despite prior requests regarding early arrival.   The 
    resultant traffic jams raised questions about the viability of the event at Cambridgeshire County 
    Council.   On the understanding that we addressed the traffic flow with the traffic management 
    contractor we have been given the go ahead for future events.   We have to get the traffic flow right 
    as we are expecting in the volume of cars to grow year on year from the 4000 in 2015.  
    We have looked at the viability of various options to address the traffic flow issue and rewarding 
    early arrival is unfortunately the simplest and practical option.

So I think there is not much chance of this policy being changed.   
  • wow that is pricey :-(
  • Sorry, but I can't believe the Peterborough Arena hasn't worked out how to manage traffic flow with CCCouncil by now. The site regularly hosts events of 10 000 people and they have parking for 22 000 cars!

For example, they could direct cars off the A1(M) one junction earlier or later - if the A1(M) really is their concern. Or stagger the start times, to widen the spread of arrival times on the site - this year, they're using a timing mat rather than everybody starting on the gun, so there isn't any real need to get everyone penned up at 11am.

Perhaps I'm cynical, but it feels to me like an underhand way of making more money out of us ... and out of the exhibitors too (- the organiser can charge them more as well, if they promise a higher footfall). I don't like paying for parking, full stop. And I really don't like it when somebody sells me something and then tells me later on that it's going to cost me more than we originally agreed
  • Could just ride there...
  • What a complete rip off, talk about having a gun to your head after they have taken your entry fee. I will be looking to park nearby off site then ride in.

The exhibition was very poor last year and if the weather is poor the hall will be totally overcrowded.

I will not be entering again.
  • Yeah very annoying, especially to not have told us about it up front.

I'm planning on getting there fairly early, maybe for 8am, as I'll probably be awake at the crack of dawn anyway with the excitement!

I'm giving a lift to SimonM, two more spaces available in the bike rack if anyone else wants to join us...
  • I sent an email to the organiser last night complaining of this late charge. I got reply repeating what was in the race book. I have asked whether the parking charges will be donated to charity.
  • Anyone else up for camping? I'm not sensing there's many campers amongst the CCA crew. 50 quid for three nights campings starts to sound reasonable when you factor in two trips to Peterborough and the parking cost. And we get to hang out an watch the chrono on Saturday! I've got my cowbells at the ready, now just need to find a CCA flag to adorn the tent!! Having not done this event before I'm super excited based on last year's stories!
  • Won't be doing this event now. Came off the bike last week in London and broke my wrist so no riding for a few weeks. Broke the other wrist in another cycling crash in London 2 years ago. Dangerous, this Brompton commuting lark......
  • Get well soon.
  • edited May 2016
    I'll be letting the train take the strain - advance tickets are very reasonably priced
  • hope you heal soon. whilst riding from kx saw an unfortunate cyclist knocked off by a car near farringdon this a.m. ambulance in attendance. hope the cyclist is ok.
    it is dangerous, but very liberating how many journeys in central london are now being made by bike, and how easy it is to get around.
  • Thanks for your kind thoughts. I love riding everywhere in London on my trusty Brompton and am missing it already. Hate getting the tube so walking everywhere instead - 30 miles already this week. Nearly run over by a flying Robbie on his Brompton near Judd Street!!
  • I was thinking of getting the train from Biggleswade to Peterborough on Sunday morning to ride the Gran Fondo. Looks like Andrew R is too. Anyone else?