Welcome to the forum

Tour of Cambridgeshire (Gran Fondo)

2»

Comments

• I will be on the train that stops at Biggleswade at 9.02
  • I am filming over the two days at the Tour of Cambridgeshire - Chrono and Grand Fondo. If anyone sees me please shout out as apart of the weekends filming is to capture footage of CCA members. If your camping then let me know and I'll try and find you to shoot a little footage - text/phone 07831 376687 :-)
  • Hi Chris

CCA riders have posted their start times on the Chrono thread if that helps
  • Gonna drive now. See you all there 10ish. 07977 652 247
  • Nice day for it.
  • edited June 2016
    I think the 10+ CCA riders on the Gran Fondo seemed to have a great day. It was very smooth at the HQ. The notorious car park seemed quite empty, as along with me, a lot of people simply parked in a residential street and rode over.

Different to last year apparently, we were penned into age category groups. Had to wait here for an hour. Not so bad in yesterday's almost warm weather at that time. Would be harder in more testing conditions. I should have brought a crossword. It was a chance to look around: riders from Italy, USA, Jersey. Everywhere. It is clearly on the global map this ride, and on our doorstep. Do it!

The pens were a bit ageist: as it meant the yoof got a head start. And generally with a more capable selection of riders to hide among. It negates it as a true, fair race. But does stop the start gun bun fight and I can't think of any other way to separate things.

As it was, once our group was out, it stretched and found clusters of riders pretty quickly. Talking of 'pretty quickly': the first 20 miles averaged 27mph. I stuck to one of the leading groups of 20-30 riders and stayed near the front to avoid the need to sprint back on, on corners. It is exhilarating: closed roads, immense speed, a competitive edge. It is also not for everyone: a bit claustrophobic at times, inevitably just one silly mistake from a tumble: your mistake or a rider next to you. Fortunately, my group seemed quite savvy. Lots of independent riders, and lots of expensive race bikes.

I felt a bit in the wrong place. My 10 year old bike had a 'nice bike' comment. But in a charming, antique way! I was the only rider with hairy legs. There were only a couple with saddle bags. And I was definitely the only one packing a jam butty in his pocket. I feel ashamed to say I was too embarrassed to whip it out. I had 4 gels instead and two Tesco flapjacks. Bleurgh.

Anyway, I kept up and pressed on. Very few seemed to know how to work the wind. All to my favour. It kept me from sapping energy. I wondered why, then realised some time after that we are a Club that does more than its fair share of such riding on flatlands and know a thing or two more than most. There's no wind in Italy.

The ride goes on to RAF Alconbury's runway. Wide open, utterly straight and merciless against the conditions. This was pure power and my weakest point of the ride. I only just held on to the group here. Despite the enormous width of the tarmac, everyone was on the far side as the echelon flattened to a straight line. As such, and at speed, there was a large traffic cone (!) left on the runway. Blinded by the long line of riders, a rider in front didn't see it, head down, and hit it hard and got properly smashed up. There then follows a group wide moment of concentration failure and carbon dodging and anything can happen. Fortunately everyone else stayed upright, and we crack on. I made an extra mental note to stay even further up the group.

40 miles in and the we've averaged 26mph. There now follows 30 miles of totally flat fen roads. Either with the wind at 30mph+ stretched out and sort of chain ganging. Or into the head wind at 20mph. Again, I seemed to be hassle free flitting around the bunch to shelter. Some got frustrated and tried to breakaway - but on these flat roads and conditions it is impossible to beat the bunch.

Lots of cheering from the villages. I have a feeling the communities are polarised between the making a full day of it with a barbecue on the front patio. To the very disgruntled. At one point, we had a full bottle of pee lobbed at us. We all avoided it. I don't think they realised how dangerous or what the consequences would have been if it had brought riders down. Stef later on suffered a tack related puncture near this point. You do wonder if they were connected.

The last 15 miles roll a tiny bit. Suited me and I did my bit at the front here as the others seemed pretty cooked by now. It seemed to slow right down with 1km to go and I wondered if it was all tactical for a sprint. But I think everyone was quite pooped really. I got to the front of the group and sprinted over the line I'm guessing 8-9th in my group. With no idea of how many had crossed in front. I know Barron's group stayed away all ride and he thinks he got Top 10 for the entire race. I look forward to the results.

The logistics the other side all fine: lots of space and concessions. It seems there's no early bird discount for 2017. But I was doing the maths on the ride: This is around 4hrs of really good fun - the closed roads being the privilege. There are many people waving and celebrating the sport. Good vibes. It's nearby - and people are coming all over the world to do this. It works out good value against the proverbial trip to the football even at the eye watering entry fee for 2017. So give it a go. I think I'll do it again if others join me. 84 miles @ 25.0mph av.
  • Thanks for the write up Martin, sorry we didn't get to see you. Sounds like you had a great ride. All I can say is that I had an amazing weekend (would definitely recommend the camping), with a 4hour bout of horribleness in the middle! It was great to have so many CCA riders there, for coffee and chat before the start, and moral support afterwards.

I honestly can't say that I enjoyed the ride. Nothing to do with organisation, it was just too hard. Trying to stay with the bunch (or at least any bunch in my start group) meant that I was going way over threshold for the first hour and a half. Clearly not sustainable, but the other option would have been riding on my own. Which I then did, through the open fenlands, into the headwind, on my own, feeling like everyone else in the whole ride had overtaken me. Feeling sick, cramp, the lot. I nearly threw the bike in the hedge and left it there. Then finally one massive group came past, some bloke cut me up and I nearly came off, which was enough to make me angry and fight to keep up with them. That was much better, the average speed went up and I managed to recover a bit in the group. I've never been so pleased to finish a ride in my life.

With reflection I was pleased with my time of 4:09, and very surprised when I got the 'qualifiers' text. I must have scraped in as literally the 25th percent!

Well done to everyone, that was tough. Give me hills any day over a headwind!
  • Good write up. My hairy legs were there are well!
  • Well done Jenny for qualifying (has your Dad bought your ticket yet, we all witnessed his promise!). Didn't realise your ride was quite such an ordeal, hearing the reports of all you 'Race'rs makes me relieved to have been in Sport.

I drove up with SimonM (who also qualified), and logistics much better this year - no queue for car park or registration, no queue for coffee, much better having the expo stands outside. Still the 1 hour queue to get started, think you're going to get that whatever pen you're in.

Started off with Simon in a huge mass of riders which was a bit fraught for the first 5-10 miles but then thankfully started to spread out. Good 21-22ish pace for the first 20 miles or so, Simon sped off and I did the next bit jumping on and off groups on my own. Then picked up the other Simon, Vic and Stef just before half way, and we stayed in quite a big peloton for a while until Simon had to peel off for water. Then me Vic and Stef trying to keep the pace going in the last 3rd, at least in the Sport category you're always near other riders so we could always get some shelter, still hard though in the wind.

Going well until Stef punctured (didn't realise it was a tack - that's really annoying), and I lost Vic so we did the last 10 on our own.

Really pleased with my time of 4:17, and without stopping which is a first for me. Great ride although the last 25 miles hurt real bad, pain everywhere, a big relief to fall off the bike at the end.

And fantastic weather, so lucky after the 10 degrees of last week.

• edited June 2016
    I also started in Sport pen, among the people at the front, the least I could do since I arrived at the Arena at 8h30. Have to say the 10£ for parking do feel excessive.

The event started fast but not crazy fast. My one regret is going in with only one 900ml bottle which was down to abt 700ml by the time we started, with all the waiting in the sun. I then made the mistake not to stop at the 1st feed station and by the time we got to the 2nd one my bottle had been empty for a long time already and the damage was already done. I imagine myself with big lusting cartoon character eyes, looking at other people’s full bottles in the last third of the race, while I was going on empty.

I was slightly apprehensive about the size of the event but I have to say there wasn’t any moment where I felt crowded or uneasy. I used some of my continental habits and rode on the right side of the road at the start, when we did get a bit of crowding, but that was to be expected. Saw a few people by the side of the road either w. cramps or crashes or punctures, but they looked like isolated incidents. That Alconbury Airfield bit did look like a tyre puncture resistance test. All in all, I enjoyed the weather, the last 25mi of the race not so much but I only have myself to blame for that. With 4h01’ I have a time on which to improve upon.

Have to say next year looks tempting as the Amateur WC would be in Albi (near Toulouse), in France where I lived for 4 years. I admit I don’t care much abt an amateur WC race but it would be a good excuse to revisit old grounds (if I were to qualify, ofcourse).

• thanks to the rider who gave me a spare tube near the end. he didnt have a club jersey on so not sure where he was from. he refused compensation (to be fair a half eaten cereal bar...)

all was going well until 75 miles in, when a nail/tack got my rear tyre. may have just been bad luck, but as martin says whilst most villagers inconvenienced by road closures were very supportive, cheering and having a great day in the sun- there were some that werent happy. a chap who helped me out did say there had been a lot of punctures in the village that day...

anyway things then went from bad to worse, second flat, faulty spare, patch didnt work etc etc ended up standing there like an idiot shouting out for a spare tube. everyone ignored me until the kind chap above stopped - thanks again if you happen to read this.

other than that a great day - sunshine, closed roads, fast groups etc etc. good to hook up with tim and vic, and think we would have finished strongly if we'd stayed together - we were all getting tired but with only 8 miles to go... i'd just risked a double expresso caffeine gel (surprisingly good) and wasted all that buzz on changing a puncture badly trying to show off to 2 eight year olds on scooters...

i'm with martin - inevitably some hassle and cost but thats because its a big international event on closed roads with significant support - police, motorbikes etc
    it's great and on our door stop. give it a go. loved the chrono on saturday too.
  • The official times are out for the Gran Fondo. The organisers haven't arranged it into placings though. However, some rider has kindly done the maths. He reckons there are some errors but it's about right;

Age Group placings;
    http://www.epicyclism.com/ToC/ToC_GF_Age_Time.xlsx

Overall;
    http://www.epicyclism.com/ToC/ToC_GF_Overall_Time.xlsx

I've come in 89th overall here, and 18th out of 760 in 40-44 age group. Delighted! The chain gangs have really helped with form. There's one on this eve...
  • It'll be interesting to see how the results pan out over the next few days - I didn't get the qualification text (or medal!) on the day, but the official results show that I qualified (just!)... Also just had an apologetic email from the organizers (to all riders, I think), explaining why they pulled the podiums, and explaining that there have been some issues with riders being in the wrong start pens, so some qualification results may get adjusted over the next few days...
    Great event overall, I thought - nightmare logistics to organize; I wouldn't want to be responsible for it...
  • Yes I got that email, also they had me in the wrong age group, so maybe there will be quite a few changes...
  • I shot film over the two days as well as the "Tour of Colour" on the Friday night, I have some good footage of CCA riders which I will share when edited down; adding to the ongoing documenting of the CCA. Now the weather has turned and the landscape looks happy I will be back out filming and looking for people to interview.
  • Good write ups all
    I started in one of the race pens for older fellas (50-54) it was pretty friendly in our pen during the long wait. It was a tough ride and I went out too hard for the first 90 minutes but I enjoyed the race and also learned a bit about best placement in big groups.
    I did see quite a few riders off - one touch (well more clatter) of wheels immediately in front of me by a couple of obviously very tired riders at about 60 miles that I had to swerve to avoid and had one of the riders in a deep ditch.
    Train worked out well getting there - but I missed a train by 1 minute on the way back so had to wait an hour for the next train - will probably drive next year and park near as some others did.
    Organisation was good and again the support around the route was great - booked my place for next year already.
    I finished in 4:00:30 which I was pretty happy with, I went with the aim of getting a qualifying time so job done.