Welcome to the forum

WINTER TRAINING FOR ALL

edited December 2009 in General
SHORT REPORT.............The sessions being run by Andrew Skeen are guaranteed to work muscles needed in cycling and all round fitness. I can honestly say that 40-45 minutes workout works certain cycling muscles harder than a 70 mile ride with the fast group.

These sessions will be paced according to the fitness level and capability of each participant so don't worry. they are designed to strengthen, develop and stretch muscle groups in a way that just riding the bike won't.

I am a relative novice at this type of exercise and can genuinely feel the benefit of exercising under the watchful eye of someone who clearly knows what works best and how to do each set the right way.i can't stress enough just how hard some seemingly simple exercises are to do properly. Old habits have to be corrected before you can fully benefit from them. even someone as set in their ways as me can do them and feel the improvement.

We are planning to do these once a week at present.Tuesday Evenings. 7-8.30pm.....I expect we will have to hire somewhere in Ashwell so there will be a minimal charge per session to cover the costs. Youth and Adult members are welcome.

can you please blog here or mail me geoff@ccashwell.com.................to register interest........without knowing numbers it is hard to gauge the necessary space.

we will also be teaching proper roller riding....bike maitainance....and making space for you to bring your turbo trainers. the aim is to create a fully integrated club training ethos so that even if the weather is against us we can keep fit, improve those areas we need to work on and generally stave off the worst of winter overeating and sloth.

so, drop me a line or chip in here with thoughts and comments. cheers guys and a happy Christmas if I don't see you all before.

Comments

• a very encouraging response so far..adults and youth...more replies please.......
  • edited December 2009
    Turbo sessions: The later time of 7.30 will suit me getting back from London. Will try and make it a key session from January onwards. Might be able to make the 29th December, tonight is very doubtful due to snow problems traveling.
  • Geoff

I am interested in this - 7.30 would be better - does it have to be Tuesdays?

Phil
  • hi phil..yes, Tuesdays is the best day for most... We start tonight..22nd...have booked village hall 20 West End Ashwell for those who don't know location..google Ashwell village Hall Herts.....22nd and 29th 7pm to 8.30pm.....from Jan 5th 7.30 to 9.00pm......have booked hall for ALL Tuesdays 2010 so don't miss out Guys....Introductory session tonight so don't worry too much.

see you there
  • Hi geoff,

Tuesday is good for us - I'll definately come along, Karen will probably come as it will compliment her TaeKwondo training. Fiona may come - depends on her mood...
    We do not currently have turbo trainers though.
    See you tonight assuming we have no more snow.

Julian Pegg
  • so guys...how was it for you on Tuesday evening.......now you have got the hang of it we should be able to complete 2 sets next week....keep practicing.
  • Well, lets just say it got me out of cooking the Christmas dinner as I cannot lift my arms higher than my waist and find it difficult raising myself from a chair now.

I'm currently watching Sara wrap presents as I no longer have the strength to pull the cellotape.

Apart from that I'm fine. ;)

See you on the 29th hopefully with Sara and Anneka too.

Happy Christmas!
  • Not as bad as Nigel - but my legs hurt going up & down stairs!
    Kids all say they are fine.

We won't make the 29th but plan on coming along in the New Year

Alison
  • Interesting and highlights where the work has touched unused groups......different for everyone. I know that feeling Alison....sorry Nigel..I promise it will lessen....see those that can next Tuesday......
  • very interested and will hope to come down next Tuesday.
    Vincenr
  • edited December 2009
    Geoff. When you have time please can you give a run down of next tuesday's session in brief and what we need to bring. Is it for Daisy as well? Cheers ears
  • Hi Robbie,

I'll jump in as Geoff is off to Manchester today to go around in circles really fast!

I set up the room with about 12 stations. Each station has an exercise, mainly body-weight exercises such as squats, sit ups or skip rope. We work at each station for about 45 seconds then swap to the next one. You can adapt each exercise to your level of fitness by doing it harder or softer depending on where you're at. Yes, Daisy would be more than welcome as there were 5 youth members at last week's session, which went very well. I roam around giving pointers and correcting form where necessary. Only by doing the exercises exactly right can you get the most out of it. Especially for things like squats and plyometrics (jumping etc).

The combination of strength/conditioning exercises with the lack of a resting period between exercises means you get the benefits of strength improvement, while raising your heart rate/respiration into a meangingful training zonel I recommend wearing a HRM and trying to stay in a high level training zone (zones 3-4) if possible.

All you need are trainers and appropriate exercise clothing. You will start out cold as the room is not heated. However, you will be dripping with sweat within about 10 minutes so I usually wear short sleaves/trousers for that reason.

See you there!

Andrew Skeen
  • Following our chat this morning Andrew, I'll be there this Tuesday (29th). Thanks....John M
  • Thanks for the info. Sounds great. See you tmrw.
  • well everyone.13 people the first week.....18 this and 6 from last not able to make it.looks like we will need a bigger hall if all turn up.I'm on the case .....a really good mix of ages so that parents,youth and adult riders are all training together.....We finished a little early today...many were first timers and we didn't want anyone over-extended.......as we progress some who want and need to do more can up their effort and the number of circuits......we are also hoping to integrate turbo and roller sessions so that others with a need for such can fit between circuits and learn rollers etc....
    A great thankyou to Andrew Skeen for spending so much time to bring this to the club...lets hope everyone gains and improves their cycling experience as a result.
    I have booked the village hall for every Tuesday in 2010. This isn't a flash in the pan but hopefully another CCA development with long term benefits.
  • Must add that last nights session was excellent. Cheers ears.
  • Cool, hopefully be able to make it on the 5th. Whats the cost?
  • Thanks Andrew and Geoff, a good session look forward to next Tuesday.
  • Hi David........ £1 for youths under 18...........£1.50 for adults.......see you next week

remember.......7.30 till 9.00 from 5th Jan onwards
  • Geoff - sounds fantastic. Look forward to giving it a go on the 5th! Adam
  • see you there then Adam.......
  • The dance group have the Main Hall booked until 8pm........suggest we warm up in Hall 1 and switch to main Hall at 8pm..........am sorting with Rosemary and Andrea......hopefully we can find an arrangement which works for both clubs.

Any thoughts on changing time to 9.30........as we progress people will do 2 or more circuits, and they will also do other exercises...with the bigger hall there will be space for rollers and turbo trainers, so an ability to shift from exercises to these would greatly enhance the sessions.......I am looking at costs to shift halls and times.don't worry though...we should be fine with charges as at present. The numbers attending so far make this a workable venture.

see you all Tuesday at 7.30pm
  • edited January 2010
    I think this thread could run and run - so have created a dedicated 'Tuesday training' category to make forum discussion easier.
    Use it for all forum chat threads relating to what will hopefully become a great addition to the cycling week.
    At the next committee meeting - we can discuss whether we put some formal description of this evening on the club website.

On a personal note Geoff, I'll come along tomorrow. Don't really know what to expect - but sounds good. I'd prefer the later start - but quite indifferent.

Martin
  • Thanks for this Martin........we are having teething troubles with the venue......seems the dance instructor has also organised a Pilates session to follow...not on the booking schedule......am on the case and hopefully will soon sort something larger for our needs........

We are at a very early stage and as we seem to be outgrowing the available space I will have to look at the school or possibly the Church?? anyone any thoughts on whether this is feasible or desireable (Church, that is)
  • edited January 2010
    STOP PRESS..........

FROM TUESDAY 12TH JANUARY......7.00-9.00pm..................ASHWELL SCHOOL MAIN HALL

I am in discussions on the charge, but I think we will be o.k. with present charges if our numbers remain between 20-30 on the night........as the charges are term in arrears we ought to see our way clear on this.

So...tonight 5th LAST night at Village Hall

NEXT WEEK 12th 7-9pm at school
  • 7:30 tonight though ?
  • so i'll see you all in the pub after then for my kind of training ;-)
  • yes David....7.30 tonight

all depends Tim...probably
  • Another brilliant session with Andrew..more new faces and 22 people...........looks like we will hit 30 when we start at the school next week........please don't worry if you cannot make the 7pm start you can join in on circuit 2 or 3 after a warm up ........remember, some exercise is better than none and you really will see the benefits. Given this weather we all need an alternative if we can't get out on the roads to ride.

We really have a lot of laughs and it is really good to see both sections of the club and some parents getting down to the exercises...good club stuff.......see you all next Tuesday...Ashwell School..junction of Bear Lane and Silver/Back Street...7.00pm start. We meet in the main Gym Hall at the back of the school..I will post some directions in the school for newcomers.
  • Geoff,
    so next tuesday is at village school 7-9pm?
    any plans for rollers after the circuits? would like to give that a go. not sure we need to do turbo and circuits in one evening. What does Andrew recommend?
    See you on 12th (next tuesday).
    regards,
    Vincent