Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell, Hill Climb 2016, Sunday 6th Nov, 9.30am start

edited October 2016 in Road Racing
Strap those rockets to yer saddle..!

This year's hill climb will take place on Sunday morning, 6th November.

It will be the usual format: two hills for the price of one…
9:30 start - Chalk Hill in Baldock. All the way to the bridge over the A505.
Then a short bike ride over to; Approx 11:00 - Coombe Hill, starting right at the bottom of the road near the Shell garage on the A505, all the way to the top T-junction.

This gets more fun every year. There'll be little Didi devils, cowbells and hooters. And those stubby little Flanders beers on the last hill for all racers. Come and watch: but by far the better thing to do... is race it! Everyone is very welcome.

I've just stumbled on this on Facetube. 'Johnboy' giving it 'full gas' on Chalk Hill. this could be our Hill Climb from a couple of years ago. No idea. But regardless - he's got the right spirit;

I may do a few Friday night practice sessions on the road to Therfield from Royston McDonalds nearer the time.

And a special request to make a shout out for the Ladies to make it the most competitive race yet. Go for it!

Comments

• Sounds good to me. Let me know when youre up for Therfield hill reps, will join in if thats cool
  • Hill 'n' McHotchoc or Hill 'n' FoxandDuck
  • I'm a stone heavier than last year - but it sounds fun!! If my first cat points chasing dreams have fallen flat by then I'll be there!!
  • The problem for us Mitchy is that you've just put half a stone of muscle power into each thigh...

McChoc or pint of ale. Let's ask this fella;

Of course, anyone can run up the hill too like Brad, but unlike Chris Froome, you need to have a bike.
  • Anyone up for a recce of the climbs this weekend? Pretty flexible over both days but some company is always welcome! Cheers
  • Trisports have kindly promoted our Hill Climb on their facebook.

Hopefully we can make it the most exciting one ever. Sunday 6th Nov, 9.30am, Chalk Hill, Baldock. Then Coombe Hill around 11am-ish.

Just turn up on the morning of the day in good time to register. No need to pre-book.

https://www.facebook.com/trisportsuk

Chris... this weekend tricky for me, but will deffo be out for some more night time hills before 6th Nov.
  • No worries, I'm being shipped off to South Africa for 2 weeks with work, returning the day before, so expect to be fresh but unprepared!
  • I know there is a CX on at Shuttleworth but hope to see plenty of the youth riders at the Hill Climb. Its so well suited to the super high power to weight gang!
    Just got to be 12 thats all.
  • Hello - I'm new here and was just wondering if you had a list of past results for this climb? I just want to check if my time is actually reasonable or super slow!
  • edited November 2016
    Could be good at this, as I've got no weight. Unfortunately I also have no power :(
  • David - so that means you either have zero or infinite power-to-weight ratio!
  • edited November 2016
    Times from last year below... First hill, second hill, combined time. Three riders just did the first hill I think.

It's a TT. A race against yourself. You can't lose. Everyone welcome: whippet or not. Though I should point out CTT rules mean no one under 12 can enter officially.

If anyone wants to join in on getting there, I'll be riding through Ashwell, passing the Three Tuns, Sunday at 8.30am. Joined by Shelton on his 'special bike'... Should be fun to watch.

There's a contingent off to the award winning Fox & Duck in Therfield afterwards for a drink. We should be wrapped up by 12pm... Opening time.

First rider is off at 9.30am, Chalk Hill, Baldock.

2015 results...
    1. Dave Mitchinson 2:11.8, 4:39.2, 6:51.0
    2. Will Smith 2:21.2, 4:38.2, 6:59.4
    3. Adam Swan 2:30.5, 5:03.1, 7:33.6
    4. Jeremy Prodger 2:34.5, 5:09.5, 7:44.0
    5. Martin Lawless 2:33.7, 5:16.5, 7:50.2
    6. Dave Wells 2:44.1, 5:25.3, 8:09.4
    7. Graham Duguid 2:42.4, 5:30.9, 8:13.3
    8. Matt Scales 2:41.7, 5:39.7, 8:21.4
    9. Richard Plunkett 2:52.1, 5:46.7, 8:38.8
    10. John Sunderland 2:50.2, 5:54.5, 8:44.7
    11. Dave Marriage 2:48.4, 6:03.5, 8:51.9
    12. John Thorpe 3:03.3, 5:51.9, 8:55.2
    13. Iain Boyd - Stevenage CC(PTT) 3:03.0, 6:01.9, 9:04.9
    14. Jenny Andrews 3:07.7, 6:03.5, 9:11.2
    15. Adam Roe 3:35.1, 7:07.5, 10:42.6
    Andy Saunders HNCC (PTT) 2:16.1
    Samuel Prior 3:12.4
    Rupert Prior 3:33.8
  • Ill be at the bottom of the first hill at 9.00 for signing on. Remember to keep out of the road and to park considerately if you are driving out so we dont annoy the locals.
    Could also do with a marshal or two and a pusher offer. Im sure there will be a few bystanders but on the first hill a marshal on the right hand bend is useful and on the second someone by the equine centre in case horses wander out.
  • Also, James cant now make it on Sunday so we will need a second timekeeper, probably at the start setting riders off. Dead easy, no experience required.
  • Not around for this this year which is a real shame. It's one of the best things the club puts on, always a great atmosphere with a good bit of friendly competition. That and a lot of "hill climber's coughing" that seems to be cured quite quickly with a sip or two of beer...
  • Thanks Martin. Is that a list of everyone who took part, or just the top people?
  • Tim. I can help with time keeping or marshalling.
  • Hi Janatrek... go for it! You'll get to chat with the club and other riders. You'll be cheered on all the way and feel proud you did it. A great feeling. And have a time to beat in 2017.
  • See you in Ashwell..better recce the hills today
  • Thanks Stef, thats great see you there.
  • Martin I will be at the Tunns for 8:30
  • I'm having to pull the plug, 36 hour shift at work, and recovery from crash at veldrome on Wednesday!!! Best of luck everyone - remember the first hill should hurt, and the second hill should hurt!! The beauty of hill climbs! Off to bed with a hot water bottle now!!
  • No Mitchy and no Will! It's all to play for!... (Shame you can't make it guys)

Riding from Royston, will be at Tuns for 8:30
  • Matt, want to meet by Tesco roundabout at 8?
  • Martindont wait for me, I'm driving to baldock as weather forecast looks grim
  • Chris, yep can meet at Tesco and ride over to Ashwell, should be there just before 8
  • All a bit early for me
    Will ride out on own. But aim to be at tuns by 8.45am
  • Thanks so much to Tim, Stef and Emma for all your efforts in timekeeping and pushing. A really great event. Thanks Martin for the post climb drinks and sweets.
  • Thanks to organisers, competitors and supporters for a great, tough event.
    It was certainly character building.
  • Likewise, thank you all for pushing off, shouts, cowbells and standing around in the cold.. had a great morning out!