Welcome to the forum

***CCA PRIMAVERA 2017 (April 9th, Orwell)***

It's that time of the year again! CCA will be putting on our race on the same circuit as last year. However, this year it's being upgraded from a regional B to a regional A so open to 2nd, 3rd and 4th cat racers. This will allow me to add an extra couple of laps on and should make the race a more interesting ride for those involved. It will mean that it will be about 40 mins longer than last year's race.

As ever, we'll be needing the help of the club members to get this race on the road.

For this circuit I will require 17 Marshals, Cambs don't recognise accredited marshals yet so just the red flag wavers will do fine again. You will be promised tea, coffee, cake and rolls and the opportunity to watch a few sweaty people in tight clothing go flying past once every 25 mins. Alongside the marshals I'll be needing the same sorts of numbers to help with making/selling refreshments, loads of cakes, line judges, drivers and a first aider etc.

It's currently live on the BC website and can be found here for those who want to enter: https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/154478/CCA-Primavera-2017

It'll be good to see loads of CCA on the start sheet again, remember we had a CCA winner last year. Can we do it two years on the trot? Tom's pretty much retired from racing so we'll need somebody to fill those lightweight, aerodynamic boots...

So stick the date in the diary and let me know on this thread if you'd like to offer a helping hand, it's always most gratefully received. I always get great feedback about this race and the welcoming attitude of CCA so let's keep up the good habits!

Comments

• The doodle poll is here: http://doodle.com/poll/enrswzmmbx3ttw94ib37ke4x/admin#table

Timescale wise, the marshals will need to be there around 8am, with the signing people a bit earlier to get everything up around the course. If you can only do a bit first thing or can only make it later on to help with refreshments then that would be brilliant too.

If you just want to ride over and check out the race, it's always good to have a shout on from your club when you're in the bunch!
  • Cheers Will. I'll race, Lil will be medic again inless we now have a Doctor in the club?!
  • Brilliant. She was awesome last year. Hopefully we won't have any silly little crashes again though...
  • I would be happy to be service vehicle again this year

Shelton
  • have Doodled myself as a marshal Will
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks to all who have already signed up. So far I have:

Driver for chief comm: Tim Duckett
    Driver for assist comm: Stuart Field
    Chief Judge: Mark Wyer
    Assistant Judge: Sir Archie Foulkes and Lord Alfie Duckett
    Lead car 1: Andrew Robertson
    Lead car 2: Chris Potter
    Service car: Shelton Pell
    First Aid: Lillie Swan
    Licences/Signing on: Will Smith
    Licences/Signing on:
    1 Signs: Chris Potter
    2 Signs: JMac
    3 Signs: Daniel Doncaster
    4 Signs: MC
    1 Marshal: T. Trimble
    2 Marshal: A. Field
    3 Marshal: Andy Skeen
    4 Marshal: Toma Chitu
    5 Marshal: JMac
    6 Marshal: Neil H
    7 Marshal: Nathan H
    1 Tea/Coffee: Iain Foulkes
    2 Tea/Coffee: Sallie Bracewell

As you can see, there's plenty of spaces to fill and the race isn't so far off now. Cambridgeshire have changed their mind about the accredited marshals so now I will have to use 12 of them, which means only 5 marshals in total needed from the club (Daniel D and Richard L are our 2 Ams and have very kindly signed up already to help with this race). Obviously, the more the better though. We'll have plenty of high viz vests and red flags to wave around. There's also a point on the circuit that BC haven't put a marshal, but I would like to flag up as I think it's potentially dangerous. so 2 extra marshals for that, making 7 in total.

Unfortunately BC have outlawed the use of non-NEG riders which is a great shame as Dick Peake and his team were always exceptionally good and safe. BC ruling states that the riders have to be NEG qualified to be covered by their insurance.

For any more information, please see the race programme, downloadable here:

CCA Primavera 2017
  • Without a name next to everyone of those roles this race will not be able to go on, unfortunately, so the club really needs your help!
  • Sorry Will, meant to fill out the doodle poll. Stick me down for a driving duty, or anything you like really.
    Real shame about the motorbike guys they were great.
  • Thanks Tim, I've also got Mark Wyer on board to be the chief judge now.

Please get signed up people! If you race or have raced for the club you will realise how important it is to have marshals there for safety and also how grateful the racers are that we have the marshals on course. We only need to source 6 more from the club. If anybody's there early and are driving over they could help with putting out the signs too, which will need to be down around 7.30-8am.

Also if you have raced or race for the club and haven't signed up to ride this race then it would be a good chance for you to give something back to the club for all of the benefits you get from our ERRL membership. Without the membership it would be almost impossible to get into the regional races (cat 2 and below). Without the race we get booted from the ERRL and without the marshals we can't put the race on...
  • Noah is riding so one of us should be about to marshall or maybe both once he's sorted
    Jackie
  • Hello all,

I desperately need people to sign up for driving a comm/lead car 2. The reason I need this now is that the BC insurance forms need to be filled in and sent off ASAP. If you want to do this, that would be great.

All you have to do is make sure you have enough petrol for 70 miles of driving around slowly in a circle (petrol will be covered by the club). If you're interested in racing it's great as you actually get a really good insight into what's happening in the race this way. It's the best way to spectate it. You don't have to worry about not knowing what to do, as you'll be told where to go over the radios but the comms to make sure the race is kept safe.

We'll look after the flashing lights and bike race signs so all you need to do is turn up in the morning!

Ta
  • Hi Will
    You can put me down for that.
    Stuart
  • Hello all, I hate to moan on the forum but this happens year after year. I need 10 people now to sign up to help for the race, urgently needing one more driver whose details I need to send off for the BC insurance.

Every year we end up with a surplus of marshals and helpers at the race, so I know that we'll be fine but unless I have the names on the list then I can't put the race on! It's just a couple of weeks or so away now and I really need some marshals and volunteers for putting signs up and selling tea and coffee...

I understand that some of you may not be able to commit to helping until closer to the race. Unfortunately unless all of those empty slots aren't filled in soon then there will be no race!

Please can I have some help!

Will
  • Apologies Will but my lad's rugby fixture list has been amended and i am unable to marshal now.
  • edited March 2017
    That's a shame, James. Thanks for letting me know though.

So this year I only need 5 marshals from the club to keep the race going as we have to have accredited marshals now. As opposed to 15 last year, and more for the cople circuit the year before.

I'm slightly flabbergasted that I'm having trouble getting such a small amount of people to commit to a Sunday morning!
  • Do you still need a second driver Will?
  • Hi Tom, yes I do! Would you be able to help?
  • edited March 2017
    Yes,idiot proof instructions will be needed!
  • Hi Will, I can help, but I don't drive! Still need me?
  • Stuck my name down, can drive (do I need any special things) marshal etc etc. Whatever you need
  • Great stuff chaps. JMac and Chris P, can you do signs? I need two cars to go in opposite directions round the circuit putting up signs. Tom Trimble may help too, hopefully with a big hammer or two. It would be great if you could marshal for the race too..
  • Andy, that's great thanks. If you fancy an early start you could help with signs too, ride over and jump in the car with one of the guys?
  • Hi Will,
    my travel plans have changed - and free to help out - happy to make the teas, sweep up at the end or marshall (could marshall and make the tea if the marshall point is the one nearby to the hall!).
    Iain
  • Hi Will. Have sent you requested details.
  • Yep, happy to do what ever, just let me know where I need to be at what time
  • Will, sorry I cannot help again this year. I am away that weekend and cannot change the booking.
  • Brilliant. MC, can you help with the signs? Means getting there around 7.30....
  • Currently as the list stands we are just 1 marshal short of a full field (and one accredited marshal short, but we have both of our club AMs involved in this race, bravo).

This post is a plea for CAKE.

Who's going to bake the riders something nutritious and full of chocolate to eat after the race? Or for me to eat whilst everybody is out riding their bikes fast.
  • For a copy of the race programme, brilliantly put together by Martin L, check this link:

Race Programme 2017