Welcome to the forum

***CCA PRIMAVERA 2017 (April 9th, Orwell)***

2»

Comments

• Will - Libby will bake a cake for you and I'll bring it along (probably with a few slices missing and my back pockets looking rather strained). Libby will hopefully be along to help out too, but as you know she will have to see how she is feeling on the day, maybe a HQ helper job?
  • i'll do some scones!
    i.
  • Hi Will
    Presume you have a reserve list for this if you are full? You now have a space as
    Noah is going to have to pull out of this as he has been unwell and won't be fit enough.
    Stuart
  • Can also bring cake
  • Just looked at the program (very good Martin)
    Looks like you are in Luke
  • Tom and I will bring cake, in addition to the scones, flapjack, sponge, lemon drizzle and carrot cake I'll have in my back pocket to keep me fuelled on the first lap!
    Simon
  • Hello all!

So, with less than a week to go, we need:

2 red flag marshals
    2 accredited marshals (I'm working on this one)

That is all!

Ta

Will
  • Will, what time do you need me/us there?
  • edited April 2017
    I'll stick something up later when I can
  • edited April 2017
    Okay, so marshals, you will be needed for a meeting at 8.15am

Sign putter uppers, if you could get there for 7.15 to head out round the circuit with the signs and put them up, you'll be given a map with details of what to put where when you get to the HQ. Seeing as we have so few people volunteering to help you'll have to do it this early to be back for the marshals meeting. Apologies.

Libby can help at the HQ, there will be something for her to do, I'm sure. She can help me with signing on now as JMac has been moved over to signs/marshals.

Unfortunately Neil has had to drop out due to family commitments so I am STILL 2 marshals short. All the Accredited guys have been sorted, in fact, everything has pretty much been sorted.

Why is it that with less than a week to go before the race with only 7 marshals to source from the club (of 180 members or so) am I stuck for helpers? I'm sure there must be a couple of you out there who would like to give something back to the club and get to watch the race from one of the best bits of the circuit? Free cake and coffee ad infinitum(ish)...
  • Hello, I'm happy to Marshall. I've signed up to the poll and will come to the meeting at 8:15 for instructions. Weather looks decent. Thanks, Ed Nelson
  • Thanks Ed! Always good to have some spare helping hands on the day... see you there!
  • From my observations in Comms car 2 and talking to people after that seemed to be another successful CCA event.
    Well done to all the riders and helpers. Interesting after talking to others as everyone has a slightly different perspective on the events of the race and it is good to get the gaps of the whole story filled.
    May have some pics later.
  • edited April 2017
    Thanks to all of you who helped today, an almost seamless race on a beautiful day to ride a bike. Ended up with a few staying up the road with a 2 up sprint which was won by Tom Wiley of Rapha CC from last year's 2nd place Tom Elwood of CC London. Few got in between and then a bunch sprint for 8th or something...

Everybody who helped made this a great day out, running without glitch pretty much. There was quite a lot of cake left!

I shall write a proper thank you when I've had a bit of a sleep!
  • Here are the results for anybody interested:

1: Tom Wiley (Rapha CC)
    2: Tom Elwood (CC London)
    3: James Dent (St. Neots CC)
    4: Chris Thomas (ELV) - Also 1st Prime
    5: Martin Smith (London Phoenix CC)
    6: Nathan Howard (Finchley Racing Team)
    7: Michael Krukov (Lea Valley CC)
    8: Lubomir Belak (St. Ives CC)
    9: Colin Bailey (North Road CC)
    10: Gabriel Fowden (Lea Valley Youth CC)
    11: James Ambrose-Parish (Cycle Team On-Form)
    12: Wayne Tunnah (St. Neots CC)
    13: Morris Bacon (Strada Sport)
    14: Josh Rock (Finchley Racing Team)
    15: Spencer Laborde (Iceni Velo)
    16: Jake Towler (West Suffolk Wheelers)
    17: Timothy Allen (Team Vision Innovative Leisure)
    18: Jack Burgin (St. Ives CC)
    19: Dale Johnston (VC Norwich)
    20: Callum Stewart (ELV)
    21: Leighton Oxley-Crisp (Velo Schils-Interbike RT)
    22: Stephen Messenger (ELV)
    23: Malcolm Smith (Peterborough CC)
    24: Tom Rowson (Velo Schils-Interbike RT)
    25: Jonas Rooze (CC London)
    26: Hugo Evans (North Road CC)
    27: Patrick Willan (Cambridge CC) - Also 2nd Prime
    28: Lewis Pendle (VC Norwich)
    29: Ian Perry (Velo Schils-Interbike RT)
    30: Matthew Carter (Velo Schils-Interbike RT)
    31: Joseph Halloran (Cambridge CC)
  • edited April 2017
    So a big thanks to all that were involved today.

Sallie prepared and shipped 20 packed lunches for the marshals despite having a rugby related hobble on. All needs catered for and we must remember that an army marches on it's stomach.

All who marshalled, the red flags are important! I drove round a bit and saw everybody playing their part. It's so important that the cyclists are kept safe in these races. The news that Cambridgeshire now recognises accredited marshals is great news, takes any degree of risk out of the more dicy turns on the circuit and allows the riders to race in confidence. The NEG did a superb job too.

The Comms, these people run the race. Without them it would be impossible to keep things on the road, both of ours today have bags of experience and were constantly handing out advice to the drivers and marshals on the radios. Always good to learn from for the next time. I also learnt that I shouldn't ask so few people to do so many jobs! More volunteers required next time.

The judges. Mark, Stevie and Archie did an absolutely superb job, not only did they get a lovely tan but, with the slow motion camera on the iPad to help at the end they sorted the results out in a matter of minutes.

The sign put-er outers. Again, safety is paramount! Next time it may have to be an even earlier start though, or a visit to the course the night before. Some good cable-tieing going on, I noticed as I had to try take some of them down.

The drivers. Watching from the opposite side of the road always impresses me how controlled the safety of the race is and it's down to the drivers being in the right place at the right time. Brilliant stuff!

Lil (and her glamorous assistant Adam). Not as well used as last year fortunately with only one little spill leaving two riders unable to continue. Suspected concussion and a touch of road rash was all the damage we had. Both bikes fine, one rider quite happy to have a "cheeky" sit in the sun for the rest of the race.

Iain Foulkes. Who still remains to be the one of the last people to leave the HQ before me for the past few years. Whether he's ridden the race or just helped out. Provider of brilliant homemade scones and crafter of a well stuffed roll or two. Master brewer. There would have been many grumpy cyclists and marshals were it not for Iain and a rather pregnant Libby Danckert doing their part. Good sweeping and general floor cleaning and not one grumble (in fact, there was not one single grumble from any of the CCA team put together to help with this race).

Daniel Doncaster. Not only did he get to wave his accreditations all over the race but he also went above and beyond with sign collection/transportation. As ever, one of the most active members of the club. Possibly down to having two right hands.

Shelton. That horn...

THE RIDERS. For those that ride these races they know that the safety of the riders is mostly actually down to the riders themselves behaving responsibly and looking after each other, using the skills you learn initially on the club runs, pointing/shouting out holes, not taking unnecessary risks/not slamming the brakes on in a group etc. I didn't see any misbehaviour in the bunch at all and the comms were happy with how everybody conducted themselves with zero disqualifications for this race. This makes me a happy organiser!

Until next year...!
  • edited April 2017
    Not forgetting you William, Chapeau for putting on such a well run event! Maybe i'll toe the start next year after seeing how slickly it all went!
  • Yes, great event Will. It was the first race ive been involved with that had the accredited marshals and its very impressive and all feels much safer knowing that the junction ahead will be closed.
    The standard of riding was indeed pretty good. A bit of a horse incident but all riders were very responsible. It was very unlucky for Tom and Simon that they were in the wrong half of the split and there was some argument amongst the comms whether to neutralise or not. With one rider up the road and being in the middle of the 1198 it was decided not to. Unlucky.
    Adam also unluckily got caught up in the crash.

Super thanks to all the CCA helpers, brilliant.
  • Thanks chaps.

I have a grey L'Eroica hoody with a CCA 3 cafes badge on it here, somebody left it at the HQ.

And I know how much those badges are worth...
  • Thanks Will, that's mine - left in the kitchen when I was helping Iain.
  • Brilliant, will bring it along to a TT. If you're passing through Letchworth at any point let me know and I'll leave it out for you.

On a slightly miserable note, if people are going to volunteer to help out at any club events (especially ones which are struggling to find enough people to help to put it on) and find that they can't do it, can they let the organiser know as soon as they can. Even if it's on the morning of the event, it's better to know that you're short one person than to just be dropped in it.