Welcome to the forum

Ashwell – Wells-next-the-sea, Fri 8 September 2017, 8.15am

13»

Comments

• MC, if your current forms anything to go by, you'll be on the front for 123m pulling 37 of us along at 25mph !
  • I take it that this ride will be split into at 3 groups if 30 odd people turn up... at least till we get onto the lanes...
  • makes sense Will.
    Think MC suggested that already. See you Friday. Hoping for fine weather despite forecast :-)
  • Just being captain sensible... as per norm...
  • Might need to stagger the Ely restart too as trying to get 40 bikes out together will be impossible.
  • I have had to change my plans and will be missing this fantastic jaunt:(
  • There may well be a queue at the loos at Ely too
  • Unfortunately having to drop out, hopefully next year! Ryan
  • Hi riders

We set off at 8.15am. A little earlier than previous editions: but I think that's a good thing. Unfortunately, the Three Tuns don't want to open up for coffee. They have guests in the rooms: so let's show some respect and not be too noisy.

If turn-out is high, yes, let's go as three even-numbered groups, a few minutes apart. I'll need someone in each group who knows the route to Ely.

Let's show everyone how good we are at group riding.

We will regroup at Ely cathedral. Yes: when we leave Ely, let's filter into the traffic in dribs and drabs, and group up as we leave Ely and turn left on to the banks. We might still need to split up until Ten Mile Bank if we appear a nuisance to traffic. From Ten Mile Bank, significant road traffic disappears, mostly. But at all times, at junctions etc: take care and show consideration.

A couple more road points:

One pressure point is early on; Arrington hill on the A1198, at around rush hour. Single out in your smaller group.

The short time on the A10 after Hilgay needs care and attention. We set off in small groups, single file, from the junction and regroup once we've turned right, carefully, back on to the lanes.

General things to note...

If you are not confident: stay off the back. If you are feeling strong, take the front and/or the very back to watch out for traffic and riders who need assistance.

We sometimes lose riders who shoot off the front and miss a turn. Concentrate on the group. Better still: drop back, be a hero and take the front draft for the group.

We stop off at Narborough, I think about 75 or so miles in. There is no shop: so bring your own food. I will have 4 enormous Crumps pork pies with me, if anyone wants a carb and salts boost.

There are two fish and chip shops in Wells. We generally don't stay too long... 30 mins? If you are going off somewhere: let someone else know as when we leave, we tend not to hang around. There are public toilets a the start of the road where the little steam engine is.

Let's show decorum at King's Lynn station and the Fenman pub opposite for those waiting for a train. Buy your ticket with your pre-packed £10 note, in small groups of 3-9, for a discount. Let's ensure every train has some riders. We will kindly ask if we can put our bikes at the back of the pub to keep an eye on them from the garden yard.

Bring good lights. And map/way to navigate solo if need be for whatever reason. If you need to bail out: Downham Market is nearby after the A10 shuffle and King's Lynn is good from Great Massingham. Don't run out of food/energy. If you are struggling: let the group know.

It will likely be wet at times, so think about jacket/gloves. It's warm and the wind going the right way.

The wet roads will increase the likelihood of punctures: bring what you need. I'll bring a spare GP4000 tyre.

I wouldn't make any last minute, untested mechanical changes to your bike now if I were you...

Looking forward to it! Cheers. Martin 07977 652 247
  • Cant make this ride this year sadly, always a great day out. Stay safe, have a great ride and enjoy the end of ride Fenman fun.
  • ToB is doing Newmarket to Aldeburgh tomorrow, but they're not coming to Ely (even if they did, I guess we'd be long gone by then).
  • To gabba or not to gabba
  • edited September 2017
    I'll be bringing four waterproof tin foil cycling caps with me to keep the rain out - if anyone wants one? They've got these flippin' annoying massive pork pies in them though that I won't be removing 'til Narboro.

• Afraid I'll not be there tomorrow now, sorry to leave you with an odd number! Best of luck everyone!
  • You're a real pioneer Martin
  • I can't make it tomorrow either now, sorry! Enjoy the tailwind!
  • I shall be carrying Quorn sausage rolls as a vegetarian alternative ;-)
  • I'm sure there will be many comments on today's ride, but hats off to all for some fantastic group riding during the monsoon conditions. Really helped to inspire confidence and keep things (largely) safe. Cheers all.
  • Thanks all for yet another great CCA trip to the sea.
    Never cycled in such amazing conditions!
    Hope Geoff is ok after his off.
  • Well, that was a bit of fun - don't think I've ever experienced rain like that. Thanks for a great day out everyone, hope you all got home safely.
    @geoffg that was a really nasty fall, hope you got back home OK, time to grow that beard - coz you 'aint shaving that scary face for a little bit! On a serious note, the thing that really stood out from today was home much consideration and help there was for each other, really good group riding in some pretty atrocious conditions. MC, Nat and I finished the journey with a swift beer in the excellent Letchworth Brewery, time for food.
  • Okay everyone. Sore and stiff. Thanks for waiting and sorting the taxi. The wheel and kit a write off. Blooming vehicles leaking diesel should be fined. I was really looking forward to this club ride but it wasn't to be. Just glad no one else came off and you all finished the ride. Maybe see you all next big ride. Cheers to all.
  • Geoff glad you got off okay

Diesel was everywhere! It was also like that a bit in wells.

Good ride all thanks. Biblical weather. I mean honestly, I've never ridden through worse. Believe everyone is saying the same thing.
    It was the kind of weather you would pull over in, in a car.

Felt we kept a nice tempo throughout. Shame about having to keep stopping, but can't be helped with weather like that! Must have put flints all over the road!!
  • edited September 2017
    Thanks everyone for a great day. The rain in a weird way 'made' the ride rather than ruin it. We'll all be able to tell the grandkids about the day we rode into a storm so thick with water, you couldn't see the roads or much more than a few feet in front. Quite indescribable. Riding up and down rivers of water. Thundering. But, all fine if you keep moving and don't suffer a punct... pssssssssttt!

We split into groups that would organically change as we progressed. I was right behind Geoff when he went 45 degrees one way, then the other and then flipped off his bike into a swan dive across the corner, to stop when his face buffered the verge. Youch. Fantastic road rash I saw the next day. Good to see Geoff chipper and unflustered.

We zipped along the way there. Probably the fastest time we've done. Shortly after Narborough, the rain stopped and things were quite pleasant for Wells, where we met Adam and Lilli who were holidaying nearby.

On the route back, we were zipping headlong into jet black clouds over King's Lynn. It would have been wise to shelter and sit it out. But the pull of the Fenman was too strong - so we got soaked again having all dried out completely as we arrived at the pub and train station.

Some left straightaway, while others settled into the Fenman. They love us there and want us to give us a heads up next year, lay on a few butties and whatever. Very kind. As it was, we ate a million salty maize based snacks and got on the train with a crate of carry-out lager. The trains seemed to not mind us all on the train. I put that down to being polite at the station: so well done all.

Well done all riders. It felt like a massive energy drain in that weather. Nat, Jon S, MC, Matt Palmer were very strong in my group. There was a lot of camaraderie. Perhaps it wasn't the chattiest ride ever, but I'm sure us 2017 badgers will talk about this ride in the future a lot. Talking of which: to those who didn't get a badge, I plan to stash them somewhere localish so you can pick yours up as a stop-off on an autumn bike ride.

Provisional date for next year, Friday 7 Sept 2018.