Welcome to the forum

Ghent trip, Fri 23rd – Sat 24th Nov 2012

Comments

• Hello Team Ghent

Just an update on outstanding payees;

Scouse - £35
    Geoff - £158
    Gavin - £35
    Robbie - £91 [Robbie, a bit less because I owed you an Ayrton from last week]

Email me for bank account details, martin@ccashwell.com

The four Ducketts n' Dixons are going to the afternoon Sunday session too. That's the finale and prize giving. Something to think about it - although I can't make it. I'll have turned into a bottle of Duvel if I stayed that long. Richard and Martin Hall are now coming and staying Sunday too.

Tickets not arrived yet - will let you all know when they do.

I think we are at least 5 cycling over. Me, Robbie, Geoff, Adam C and Gavin. Bang tidy!
  • Actually, i haven't booked sunday tickets for Ducketts and Dixons, just friday and Saturday. The sunday session goes on till 7 and would make it a bit late getting back.
    we will have to rely on Richard and Martin to let us know what happens. This will doubtless be the year that the british pairing (whoever they may be) will be vying for a win rather than propping up the bottom!
  • Scouse and Martin H

All booked on the tunnel e mail me on the "kit" link and i will send details and times etc, any one else going there a few places left in the car, e mail me.

Mark
  • Current Ghent posse;

Through the haze of last week's session at the Parcel Yard, I think we deemed it possible for all current people cycling over to make it back by Richard's and Mark's vehicles. And they kindly said it was doable. It would mean Richard taking the Club trailer.

On behalf of those cycling over, I said we'd all gladly pay over the odds for the hassle we'd cause and as a thank-you. And I'd gladly give good money to friends than Eurostar.

Currently, it means fitting on 5 bikes for Me, Robbie, Geoff, Adam C and Gavin.

James D - can you confirm you're now coming?

One or two others said they'd be up for it. Could you confirm this week? I'll sort the track tickets out for you. And provide the links to the hotel[s] - or you can just look through this discussion.

After this week - I'll liaise with Richard and Mark about this to update the booking.

If anyone fresh out there fancies it: pop yer name on this discussion.

• Dear Ghent Travel Services - does it throw a massive spanner in the works now that i have finally decided to cycle over and scrounge a lift home??
  • Hiya Phil: I think it's fine given the vehicle and trailer capacity.

Good to know you're up for a bit of November suffering!
  • edited June 2012
    Gonna sort out ferry tickets for those cycling over soon as well. Any tips for P&O Dover Calais ferry when you've got bikes welcome.

Am wondering if it's best to just walk-on - given we can't easily specify an arrival time.
  • have done ferry with bike a few times.....boats close together....we did book a ferry, but if you miss that one hang around and get on the next...quite relaxed, or it used to be...any newer info. welcome.
  • Martin

i am in. PM me your bank details so i can pay for the tickets. i will ride there as well despite everything i said at the pub;)
  • Will do James. Great that you're up for cycling. In November, it's just all about being prepared for the elements.

null
  • hi Martin
    Linds and I would be on for tickets if you still have any. id probably cycle - any spare seats for the wife (back of the trailer?)
    Iain
  • Great stuff Iain and Lindsay.

Righto then - I shall book you both tickets for Friday and Saturday nights.

Currently those cycling over - Me, Robbie, Geoff, Adam C, Gavin, James D, Phil K, Iain.

Something I haven't thought through here: Richard is going to Sunday's session and coming back Monday. This means the trailered bikes wouldn't be back to Ashwell til Monday evening. It also means we can't all fit in Mark's car, returning Sunday.

Let me have a think.

Iain: details below on the hotels you need to book - Calais and Ghent.

book now for best price and peace of mind, and to be all in the same hotel. A 15 minute stroll to the velodrome.

GHENT HOTEL
    Ibis Gent Centrum Opera
    http://www.ibishotel.com/gb/hotel-1455-ibis-gent-centrum-opera/index.shtml

I'm sharing a twin room with Robbie, working out 149.00EUR [approx £122.00] for both nights in total, approx £61.00 each total [exc. breakfast].

I've also booked Geoff in a single room, working out 144.00EUR [approx £118.00] for both nights in total [exc. breakfast].

Fri 23rd Nov and Sat 24th Nov.

As you can see - it's really worth buddying up to save on beer money.

And for those thinking of cycling to Dover/Calais the Thurs 22nd…

CALAIS HOTEL
    Hotel Meurice Calais
    http://www.hotel-meurice.fr/modulosite2/home-hotel-meurice.htm

You can get mega-bargain hotels in Calais, like the Kyriad. But the Hotel Meurice is the nice central part and half decent, for just a few quid more. It boasts safe, secure cycle parking.

I'm sharing a superior room with Robbie, working out 103.70EUR [approx £85.00] so approx £42.50 each [exc. breakfast].

I've also booked Geoff in a single room, working out 93.00EUR [approx £76.00] [exc. breakfast].
  • Simples, get the train back.

the Eurostar website doesnt seem to be offering seats that far ahead yet, but i think it will be about £70 each way per head to Lille, plus a bit for the local train.
  • There's room on the trailer for 12 bikes (13 at a push) Martin Hall and I are taking ours leaving a maximum of 11 places spare.

I better get on and book the trailer on the tunnel!!

I think mark has at least three spaces in his car, as do I but the train idea seems a good one to me.

I plan on e-mailing the Ibis to see if I can pre-book a place in their car park for the trailer so the bikes will be safe overnight, they will be locked onto the trailer as well.

Martin, let me know what the overall plan is as you seem to have a handle on who's going/cycling/training etc.
  • Martin I don't recall whether you hadn't arrived yet, or were too busy showing your moves with Jagger, but the train option is definately in play. One of these days I am planning to pop into the Eurostar counter at St Pancras to get train times and costs...possibly will stop in the Parcel Yard afterwards to mull over the options...

Adam
  • Put that chilled glass of Eurostar champoo down just now Adam... I think Mark B is coming thru with a canny solution.

We'll post back here shortly.
  • btw everyone - it would be really good if anyone else wants to join to say so now... ta
  • edited June 2012
    Hello

Right then - it looks like Mark B has played a blinder.

He's offered to drive a minibus to Ghent and back. Big enough to take himself, Scouse, Martin H, Lindsay F out - and able to return with 8 cyclists back with him on the Sunday.

Howdya like dem apples?

Richard - can you let me know how much cost is the trailer?

Without knowing though, I'm confident it will cost approx £80 each. Way less than the Eurostar. And more fun!

Unless anyone has objections - Mark will go ahead and book the minibus. So - say now, really.

cheers Mark!

• top man mark - great move!!
  • Hello Ghentsters.

Right then. This evening is fairly well mapped out: Tour highlights, then Vicky P docurama. For some - an evening TT before all that. And for others - a moment to put Ghent costs to bed...

I've got costs in now for transport. It's come in a bit more than I thought - but still a bargain and convenient - and better travelling with friends.

Cycling-over people to pay £100.00 to me [email martin@ccashwell.com if you need bank details again]. This is for the minibus/trailer tunnel, fuel, parking. Richard and Mark have paid for everything now - so we should be courteous to get them their cash back quickly.

Robbie
    Geoff
    Adam C
    Gavin
    James D
    Phil K
    Iain

Non cycling-over people to pay £76.00 to Mark B [email kit@ccashwell.com].

Martin H [not Hall]
    Scouse Chris
    Lindsay F

I've suggested these totals to Mark and Richard which have been rounded up to include a tip. I've insisted on it as a way to say thanks. I'm sure everyone is cool with that.

Hopefully, everyone has booked their accommodation. Richard is looking into cycle routes for daytime action/hangover clearing. So non-cyclists - maybe bring yer bikes over?

I just need to come back with ferry details for the cyclists. Looks painless though.

And while I'm here... Just a note to say I beat Fabian Cancellera last Friday! By a whole 2hrs 21minutes! Yep: when he twittered his baby Elina was born at 2.11pm, our Leo Lawless was already off and in the breakaway. Baby and team leader fine. I'm just a domestique among it all.

• Go Leo, allez allez allez. many congratulations Martin and Gina. ps, nice skinsuit!
  • Great news, congratulations!
    So that prediction in the Lancaster premier inn that he would be early didnt quite work out...
    Still being born on the day Millar wins the stage and with Brad in yellow and Frome second - wow!
  • And, already sporting the young rider category colours. Chapeau indeed.
  • martin

congratulations on the new arrival to Team Lawless - great riders with july birthdays are miguel indurain (of course) , erik zabel, gino bartali and phil keen!!!

Will get ghent money to you this weekend - and thanks for reminder that i need to book calais hotel - anybody want to share!!

phil
  • Phil

I am happy to share accomadation in Calias, I havent booked anything yet!

Martin could you resend email so i pay monies owed?

Thanks

Gavin
  • For anyone thinking of the train, ive just booked tickets for myself and Mrs D......12.57 london to brussels on the friday and 14.52 from Brussels on the sunday.

£81 return per head including the local train from brussels to Gent. pretty good deal i thought.
  • There seem to be some murmours going round that Iljo Keisse, who has won several recent 6 days might be teamed up with a certain Mr Wiggins for the Gent 6. How good would that be?!
  • Good spot!

I found this on t'web;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/wiggins-and-keisse-to-race-gent-six-day-together

Will update on logistics for those cycling over soon. More importantly, am working on the tour t-shirt too.

If anyone is twiddling their thumbs - we still need a good route from Gravesend ferry point to Dover. Or I'll just get jiggy on bikemap.net later.
  • edited September 2012
    this guy Keisse is the hero of this year's tour of turkey stage 7 who out of a day long break attacked his break away companions and looked as though he would take the stage, crashed on the final corner and then put his chain back on and looked like the peloton had overhauled him, then well....look at this link
    anywhere after 6 mins is where the real action starts.
    very exciting.
  • Ha, great finish. One cool character. looking forward to watching him on the boards.