Welcome to the forum

CC Ashwell London 'Belgium' Xmas, Fri 6th Dec 2013

edited November 2013 in General

If anyone fancies a very informal seasonal babble about bikes with a Flanders flava, I'll be at Look Mum No Hands on Friday afternoon 6th Dec, probably a slow, late lunch then a meander to Dovetail late afternoon to then end up in Belgo [Chalk Farm] for moules-frites. Then the train home.

A simple plan, to allow for a bit of 'off-roading'. Possible nightcap in Baldock I guess. Or rave up at SG8 in Royston. Has anyone ever been?!!

I hope to see you at some point along the way!

Comments

• In the diary
  • Is there a student discount?
  • Students!

Buy one bottle of Popperinge Hommelbier from the Dovetail...
    Get two hours of lost memory absolutely free.

I never saw this deal when we cycled through Popperinge a bit lost on our CCA trips. Maybe we could 'drink the ride'? Richard's 100 mile route. I'll see if there's a Diksmuide Dubbel. And a Kemmelberg Kola.
  • Sounds fun. I'm in too.
  • I'm in, although it looks like it's going to be very expensive if juniormaynard turns up as well.
  • You better hope he hasnt developed a taste for Belgo's "Deus Brut de Flandre" at £33 a bottle!
  • Richard, relax! Sensible students these days are very moderate in their drinking habits. I'm sure a nice shandy and a bag of chips is all Juniormaynard seeks.
  • juniormaynard is going to be so fat by then that we're not going to be able to get him through the door of the pub
  • Gives a whole new meaning to rolling weight
  • Ooooooh this sounds like an AshwellCC special. If there's tequila I am in! Oh stuff that. A memorabilia badge would do it.
    By the way I would also have been in if it was a bike ride to Belgium and train back.
    Perhaps I'll have to wait until next Autumn for a Belgium trip. We are going to do that right?
  • I was in Chalk Farm at the weekend and if anyone, like me is a bit " moules intolerant" this place is just round the corner from Belgo's and is brilliant....Dirty Burger
  • Dirty burger? Ahh, fond memories of chasing after a jumbo hotdog as it rolled down the dusty grimy steps of the Ghent Velodrome. I can still taste that crunchy meat-based snack now.

So - Friday 6th December. Game on! All welcome. I reckon on getting to LMNH for maybe 2pm. I thought we could give the owners a commemorative CCA cap for Services To Cycling. A stop off in the Jerusalem Tavern maybe after on the way to the Dovetail to be there definitely for 6pm to pick up those unable to get an afternoon off.

I thought at the Dovetail we could get a couple of Boris Bikes and have a Slow Race knockout championship, just going up the walkway outside the Dovetail. I'm revealing this now having been spotted secret training track stands on a Boris by James D.

We could eat at Dovetail actually - a thought. Or get ourselves to Camden for moules and dirty boigers.

Allez!

• edited December 2013
    Okey dokey Friday people...

Great news!

I've been in touch with Lewin at LMNH about presenting him with a CCA cap. He has cordially and kindly invited the CC Ashwell posse to the Look Mum No Hands Christmas party on Friday evening! How about that then? Seems like too good a thing to miss really?

It's at their Hackney cafe from 7pm. Their Old Street cafe is closing at 5pm so they can get over. So, I suggest we start at the Old St LMNH, make our way to the Dovetail for a little while, then taxi or Bozza Bike it over around 7:30pm to the par-tay to mix it up with the East London cyclinistas. It's quite possibly the coollest, hottest cycle-based Christmas party in town. Cool babes, trendy blokes… and us.

We'll work out food somehow. Maybe Dovetail. Also, Lewin recommends anything brewed by Kernel or Beavertown at the Old St cafe.

Game on!

• This sounds like a fantastic 'cycling' event. Other side of London to me, but sounds a laugh.

I know it's a Belgian Xmas, but any room for a 'Dutchman'?!

Also, how do I know what you blokes look like outside of CCA kit?!

As for me. I have a typical cyclist's build- 6 feet 3 and 16 stone!!

John
  • What do you mean not being in CCA kit? Lycra will make for better dance move I reckon.

From 2pm at Old St LMNH, I think we'll be easy to spot. I might wear me CCA cap throughout.
    From 5-7:30ish, we'll be the eedyats outside Dovetail having a slow race.
    At the party, we'll be the sore thumb MAMILs looking either like plain clothes police looking for drugs, or lost dress-down City folk who love Wapha.
  • Fabulous, skin suit and Christmas jumper it is then!
  • Come on the MAMILs!

Er....'dress down city folk who love Wapha'.

Guilty as charged....except I don't work in the City...I did for 23 years but moved to West End 3 years ago....now just 5 mins from Wapha shop! Also, recently discovered a new addiction in Vulpine....

I would wear my original 1980 Raleigh Creda top....except a few Oranjebooms have been sunk since then......
  • Nice jumper, Tim. That is you in the poster, right?
  • I thought everyone was wearing CCA caps. I'm taking mine and showing it off at work before hand.
  • Can no longer do this....work instead....gutted! Hope you all have a great time.
  • Which venue will you be at around 3 - 4pm? Thanks, Rupert
  • 3-4pm I'm sure we will still be at LMNH. Old Street.

After 4pm am wondering if we might want a wander/fresh air. Maybe Condor Cycles via Ye Olde Mitre.

We will be at Dovetail later. Slow race begins about 6pm I reckon.

Rupert call me if u like 07977 652 247
  • Now this is hard to take.....have 2 Condor bikes and the Mitre is one of my favourite pubs in London!

John
  • Think I'll arrive about 430-5 so will head to the old mitre. Something tells me you may not be able to answer your phone by then!
  • The official cap handover to the LMNH chaps
    null