Welcome to the forum

Ronde van Letchworth greenway - Thursday evening

For those who like to experience the true delight of a wet and windy winter night ride, this week is going to be for you. I will be circumnavigating the Letchworth greenway on Thursday evening. Any hardy souls on cross or mountain bikes are welcome to join in.

7c and 15mph wind, plus light rain thrown in to boot are bound to make this Thursday a night to forget!

Plan is to leave Letchworth around 7pm and head anti-clockwise towards Hitchin.

Jamie

Comments

• FDFD
    edited January 2014
    7pm is a better start time for me to get back from London and meet at the Hitchin entry to the greenway.

Rain and wind? Cold and at night? Don't forget Rule Number 5!

John
  • Mark - I usually start from the Grange football field but it may be better to meet at Standalone Farm car park entrance. I think that's closer for you.
    Let me know what works for you?

John - rule #5 is definitely going to be invoked if the BBC weather is correct....

J
  • Jamie

If the timings are the same as last week, I presume that you're aiming to get to the Hitchin entrance to the greenway around 7.30ish? If so, see you there.....and bring a snorkle!

John
  • Hi Jamie,

see at the Grange 7pm

Neil
  • Pouring down here in West London already....wind picking up....getting dark.....Rule Number 5 set to be invoked...bring lights, waterproofs, snorkel, flippers, hip flask.........

John
  • OK, that's the London prologue on the Brompton finished. Soaked. Now for the transfer to Hitchin, change to old clothes and swap to the 'cross bike for the Ronde van Letchworth......
  • Deze tandpasta smaak van straatvuil

Rule #5 and #9 proven for the 4 of us who braved tonight. Good ride...
    I swear we saw the aurora borealis tonight, but it could have been the glow of burning cars from Stevenage

Until next weeks ronde

Jamie
  • New formula Colgate now with added Greenway grit

Tough conditions but there were more riders coming the other way than usual.
  • FDFD
    edited January 2014
    I don't think I've EVER been as wet and muddy as tonight...a combination of a mudslide and Niagra Falls.....what great fun, absolutely loved it!

Flahute-French slang for (usually Belgian) rider who thrives on the cold-weather, rain, winds and slippery cobbles. A Flahute should expect to taste wet cow dung thrown up by other riders' wheels as they race across barely usable farm country roads.....er, I think that's what the toothpaste taste was!

Thanks Jamie for organising, see you next week.

John
  • Just back from a quick solo Ronde. The Greenway is mostly dry now, but the puddles have been replaced by a thick sludge that made the Schwalbe Sammy Slicks even slicker than usual! Should be out again this Thursday, work permitting.

John
  • Cool - I'll definitely be out this Thursday
  • I think the muddy sludge will be nicely topped up with all of tomorrow's forecast deluge....should be perfect for Thursday night's mudathon!
  • Tomorrow we have confirmed me, John, Dave H....
    Usual time, setting off about 7pm from Letchworth Grange football fields, meeting Hitchinites at 7:30(ish) on the corner of Kingswood Ave and Purwell Lane

Any more for a deep cleansing mud facepack?

Jamie
  • I'll be leaving Shefford 10mins earlier than last week so look out for a light coming up the hill from Norton Rd to the Grange football fields.

Neil
  • Brompton prologue completed without incident or soaking! Stiff NW breeze out there will make the exposed section near Baldock chilly. Now for the sludgefest!

John
  • Good ride last night. Not quite as soggy as trailed by John, although bloomin cold - feet were like ice blocks when I got back, all was alright when thoughts of the Apostle Museeuw returned, I had to invoke Rule #5 to myself.

Usual crowd plus Peter out.

The descent into Baldock got us a top 10 Strava time!

Until next week (with overshoes!!)

J
  • Great fun as always. Cold? No, get yourself some decent kit or just remember Rules #5 and #9!

Nearly came a cropper on the downhill section from behind the Grange estate down to Standalone Farm...plenty of standing water there!

Dave proceeded to give me a complete kicking all the way back to Hitchin...it was like a very hard interval session...every time I got near him he put the hammer down again!

What doesn't kill you makes you more strong....I think!!

John
  • It wasn't intentional John, I couldn't feel my feet by that point and though it best to press on.
  • It will do me good, Dave, always better to ride with a group and get just out of that comfort zone.

By the time I got home I couldn't feel my heart, lungs, legs, eyes etc....!!

If I'm not fit, then I'm a Dutchman...er, .....!
  • Well, I've replaced the chocolate teapot-like Schwalbe Sammy Slicks with some Challenge Grifos....and before you ask, no they are not tubs! Hoping for some more grip this week.....
  • Enjoy - I'm unlikely to be out this week due to a work commitment on Thursday evening.

Jamie
  • Nice tyre choice John.

I'll be out on Thursday, even if it snows! Shall I meet you at the Hitchin entrance at 7.30.
  • I don't think the new tyres will make me any quicker on the Ronde, quite the reverse. However, they may inspire more confidence on the corners and sludge sections, even if conditions aren't as bad as the national cyclo cross course!

See you same place as normal at 7.30pm....for another expected beasting!

John
  • I'll be joining at Norton Rd about 6:55 then collecting anyone on the way, getting to the Hitchin entrance for 7:30

Neil
  • The rain of the last few days should make it interesting....forecast 4C tonight, rain and an easterly wind...perfect for you mud-pluggers!

See you both later

John
  • Done a clockwise loop last night. Very muddy and wet, my personal favorite is the mud slide at the back of the Knights sports field. It's forcast heavy rain at 6pm so conditions should be perfect!

Enjoy.

Mark
  • Hi Mark, thanks for the update....Rules #5 and #9 operational this evening. Bring snorkels and flippers!

Of course it's more fun lapping anti-clockwise, then you get to career out of control down the Knights Templar mud shute and if you make it intact, narrowly avoid slipping onto the A505 at the bottom!

What with the potential for weekly amounts of filthy, mud-splattered clothing ruining the washing machine, I might just have to order some more kit!

John
  • 3 madmen out tonight for mud, sweat and no beers...plenty of rivers and lakes on the Ronde to overcome, thick, gloopy mud, suicidal rabbits....magic! I could get addicted to this off-road stuff....talk turned to the 3 Peaks...dangerous talk, Dave! See you next week.

John
  • Can't make it this week.
    Should be back to normal (?) for next time. Go with the flow :)
    Neil
  • I'm going to have to give it a miss tonight too, been out in this rain all day and have a bit of a cold. I'll suffer the rule 5 taunts next week.