Welcome to the forum

Team Sky and British Cycling

13»

Comments

• edited April 2017
  • edited March 2018
    Here is an idea and argument that I will leave up.

Please bear in mind here that I am only speaking for myself and what I feel happy doing, I'm not telling anyone else what do do.

Cycling as a participatory fitness activity is a worthwhile undertaking.

Yet I find myself no longer comfortable advocating to young talented riders that they seek a career in professional or elite amateur cycling ... or indeed any professional/commercial sport.
  • Hi Andy. I can see where you are coming from. I would still encourage people into the sport because I believe that it is always up to an individual what course they take. I recognise, in saying this, the commercial pressure brought to bear on an individual to accept a course in order to further their career and the success of the team. The recent revelations, all unsubstantiated, on team sky, BC, and Wiggins has highlighted another aspect of the cynical approach through marginal gains. No rules broken but we all suspect what really happened. I felt for Bradley in his interview but no matter how sincere he appeared I recall a similar interview from Armstrong equally sincere and now a proven transgressor. It always lies with an individual as to their course of action. Admittedly, if they chose not to tow the line then they would probably lose their income and job, but they would still be healthy and able to take their skill set elsewhere. That's always assuming they qualified for something other than the sport they had chosen.
    It's very distressing seeing how money has corrupted everything good in most sports whether it be gambling on the outcomes or overpaying people for a relatively small skill set.
  • : GG: It's very distressing seeing how money has corrupted everything good in most sports whether it be gambling on the outcomes or overpaying people for a relatively small skill set.

My point exactly. Very sad indeed.

I would never actively 'discourage' anyone from any course of action (people can do as they like and I would never interfere or judge anyone's life decisions), but I won't actively encourage or support this one.

I will, of course, continue coaching and working with the participatory aspect of the sport, given that diseases of obesity/inactivity/industrial foods are the greatest killers of humans in the industrial/urban world. It would be immoral to discourage anyone from riding their bike or racing at an amateur level. I just can no longer, in good conscience, actively support or encourage anyone into a career in commercial sport (including federation-supported "amateur" sport).
  • Current news has Shane Sutton asking Freeman and Wiggins to tell the truth.
    My take is that SS has been shortchanged and hung out to dry. Great and loyal coach but lousy man manager. A blokes bloke and I think has naively answered directly where Sir DB was selective in how and what he answered.
    If they stretched theraputic use beyond need then they will never answer and there is no paper trail only individuals interpretation.
    Whatever we think and whatever they really did has no bearing on how it affects the sport. People will react to what they believe happened and the sport and clean athletes are the losers.
    I'll never lose my love of cycling and I will coach and encourage as I have always done. Being less fit than my current state is not an option and cycling keeps me healthy and active. That's the real message in what we do and promote.