Welcome to the forum

Zwift - Race Tuesday

Comments

• Been feeling rough last few days. Gonna do something less intense and hopefully TT Thursday. Have a good race all
  • Anna raced earlier today in the 12:20 pm edition of the women's race:-

D 4th Anna Fraser 32:43

The Innsbruckring circuit makes for a good tactical race. Be ready for the climb through the town after approx 3.2 miles and again at approx 8.7 miles...

Mark F
  • edited April 2020
    Good work Anna, I wish I had seen your post before the race Mark. I lost the bunch on that climb, there was no way back.
  • Was tough. Climbs broke up groups, so less sitting in wheels and recovery. Had a sneaky Google beforehand, which helped: https://zwiftinsider.com/innsbruckring/
  • Oww, that was pretty hard- certainly exposed my tired legs... I like that course, though- I'm finding the flat BC races stick together a bit much, and there's so many participants, it's too chaotic to keep tabs on what's happening- at least if you throw in the odd hill it breaks up the pack a bit.
    Can't make next week's race, I'll have to do an early one instead...
  • Zwift Power results for 28th April:

B 38th Dave Wells 24:34
    B 44th Dan Hall 24:37
    B 74th Stef Dixon 25:43
    B 77th Nick Mingo 25:43
    B 87th MC 26:33
    C 20th Mark Fraser 26:36
    B 93rd Ed Nelson 26:55
    C 119th Will Richards 31:12

Virtual race report...

I think this is probably my 5th race on Zwift so thought I'd knock up a short report. There's no gridding so its always a good idea to enter the race early, at least 25mins if you want to be in the first row. The start is a like a CX race with everyone sprinting off at pretty much max effort and although it it does settle down its still tough going, no chance of a breather and you cant stop pedalling in a Zwift race. I check nearby Zwifters and see Dave Wells is with me (With Dave H not racing on Zwift I've now found a new Dave to target). I'm keen to stay with Dave for as long as possible and seem to be managing to stick with the group, there's a few gentle inclines that are manageable but then we hit a steep hill, I wasn't ready for this and the bunch quickly splits up, by the time I reach the top of the hill Dave has a 10s gap on me. I can see Dave's bunch in the distance but the chances of closing the gap on my own are impossible so I settle in with a small group of stragglers. I'm reluctant to do any work knowing that I have to ride the hill again so ease off whenever I hit the front. 1 rider decides to try and bridge the gap, initially I go with him but its just the two of us so i ease back up to the other riders, eventually we catch up with the breakaway rider and everything settles down again. As we hit the hill for a second time I'm better prepared, by the time we reach the top 2 riders have got away but I'm soon back with them after pedalling at full effort down a virtual 12% gradient. Now its time to think about the sprint, the pace in the last 2-3km of Zwift races its always very quick, some attack with 1km but I try and save myself within 300m of the finish, I catch most of the riders that went early and cross the line to find I'm only a few seconds behind Dave. I now regret not starting the sprint earlier!

Zwift racing really is great fun, the races can be surprisingly tactical and having a bunch of team mates around you is great motivation to push harder. So if you have a Zwift account why not give it a go.

• Gotham Grind tonight at 7:30, 18.8km, 197m. Get signed up.
  • Anna raced in the 12:20 pm edition of the women's race:-

D 4th Anna Fraser 34:21

For those racing tonight: the course has no steep climbs and in fact none of the climbs are more than a few seconds long. The road is nearly all slightly uphill or downhill - there's not much flat.

There are a couple of power-ups per lap: through the start/finish and through the sprint arch.

Mark F
  • Race results, New York, 5th May

B 20 Daniel Hall (CCA)CCA 25:05
    B 34 Nick Mingo (CCA)CCA 25:25
    B 37 Chris Potter (CCA)CCA 26:09
    B 40 Stef Dixon (CCA)CCA 26:10
    B 57 M C. CCACCA 27:11
    B 58 Ed Nelson - CCA 27:11
    B 61 Matt Scales (CCA)CCA 27:44
    D 4 Anna Fraser CCA 34:21
  • Great work Dan, legs weren't feeling racing but fancied a blowout. Started fine but my interweb dropped out for about a 45seconds about 2 mins in. i carried on pedalling hard not really knowing what to do, started to climb off as i thought bugger it but then it reloaded and all was fine, except i was now off the back of group 3! Managed to punch back on but the front was long gone. Led out a 600m downhill sprint with an aero powerup to win from that group, despite my pretty pathetic peak numbers!

Reading about the new boost mode on zwift insider - sounds very good fun - would recommend a look
  • just a reminder its the BC race this Tuesday at 7:30. Hopefully BC will put on some more events for the coming weeks. This is the closest any of us are going to get to racing anytime soon so get yourself signed up. See you on the start line. Stay alert!
  • Probably see you there chaps. Reminder for this course, the first 5 or so minutes will be the hardest on the lumpy lead in. Would advise going full gas up the hill after the 90 degree right as that's where the group will split. Keep on the peddles until you get onto the redbrick for the start of the lap, "recovery" starts there as it will settle down and you can sit in the wheel much easier :)
  • edited May 2020
    Anna rode in the 12:20 pm edition of the women's race (and made it onto the podium for the first time):-

D 2nd Anna Fraser 29:55

There was a lot of flat road, of course, plus some sections of very gentle gradient. The sprint finish on The Mall is completely flat & straight.

I think there was only one power-up available during the race.

Mark F
  • edited May 2020
    Good advice Chris! See you on the start line people
  • Despite being flat, that didn't feel at all easy tonight. Dan is absolutely flying at the minute and stayed with the lead group all the way to the finish! Chapeau!
  • B 16th Daniel Hall 22:34
    B 30th Dave Wells 23:21
    B 33rd Stef Dixon 23:21
    B 46th Matt Scales 24:38
    B 67th M C. 24:54
    C 10th Mark Fraser 25:38
    D 2nd Anna Fraser 29:55
  • Wow! Dan well done. What are you on? I want some, lol.
  • Tuesday night is race night, get signed up for the BC event at 7:30. See you there.
  • It's gonna get hot in that there Volcano!
  • Lunchtime edition of the race:-

D 4th Anna Fraser 30:36

Race notes for those riding tonight who haven't raced on that circuit before: there are two key short inclines on the Volcano CCW circuit. Everyone kicks hard on them throughout the race and groups tended to break up every time. Good luck

Mark F
  • Thanks Mark. Can't wait!
  • Had to do the lunchtime race, as I've got a meeting tonight - gutted, legs were good today, and I got DQ'd on Zwiftpower for being out of category...
    Good luck everyone!
    (Next week Dan, if I'm allowed...)
  • Don't think there is such a think as an easy race on Zwift! Those small inclines on the Volcano loop made for tough laps.

On the 19:30 race, Dan seemed to disappear from the gun which left Stef, Ed and myself in a following group of 15/20 riders and Nick somewhere in between!! Almost got dropped a couple of times but dug deep to stay in, although absolutely nothing left in the tank for a sprint at the end.

Dan on the other hand seems to get faster every week, bagging a second place with some silly watts! Chapeau
  • B 2nd Daniel Hall (CCA)CCA 21:37
    B 9th Nick Mingo (CCA)CCA 23:00
    B 19th Stef Dixon (CCA)CCA 23:29
    B 23rd Ed Nelson - CCACCA 23:31
    B 25th Matt Scales (CCA)CCA 23:32
    D 13th Logan Ayers (CCA)CCA 36:01
    D(W) 4th Anna Fraser (CCA)CCA 30:36
  • Great ride Dan - top step of the podium next week? And Anna in the earlier womens race.
    Well done Logan too - hope you "enjoyed" the race!
    My garage certainly did its best to imitate a volcano.. very warm.
  • Well done everyone. Dan you need to share your training methods, lol.
  • Cheers guys, i think the secret is lockdown and working from home. I'm zwifting 5-6 times a week compared to a usual routine of cycling 2-3 times a week. My monthly mileage is double what I normally do plus I seem to be able to punish myself on Zwift to a higher level
    than a real world race for some reason. It's great having CCA members to race as well.
  • Well done Dan for your hard work. Just shows it does pay off. Im the other way round. I find i can work harder on the road than zwift. But i do need the interval training on the turbo. I do enjoy zwift though.
  • Stef - lLogan always enjoys his racing. On Thursday, and before the TT, I realised I’ve had the contact point /roller on the turbo pressed way to hard against the wheel creating too much resistance. Followed a couple of YouTube guides and got it set much better. His Thursday TT time as a result is much improved. Knocked several minutes of his previous time.
  • Results for 26th May

Cat B

9th Dan Hall 24:31
    10th Dave Wells 24:31
    23rd Ed Nelson 25:52
    28th Matt Scales 26:08

Cat D
    8th Logan Ayers 34:51

Hope that's everyone.

Was very close between myself and Dave, did have a 13s gap at one point but couldn't keep him away. The pace was tough all the way round but started to really pick up with 1km to go, I think Dave eased off the pedals just a fraction too early. Looking forward to next week.