Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• I'm in, B this week if possible but happy with whatever you need me to do
  • I'm in too. Thanks.
  • Ditto, B please.
  • I’m available if there’s a place.
  • Ja B Bitte
  • I'm happy to race again but also happy to defer to stronger As or stronger Bs riding up. JC
  • Hoping to be back please Matt!
  • RACE 7 INFORMATION

Finally some flat roads - albeit with one quick sprint up Libby Hill. We return to Richmond for Stage 7 of the Zwift Racing League and take on the Libby Hill After Party. 5 fast and furious laps of Richmond hitting up the Monument Avenue Sprint 5 times with both First Across the Line and Fastest Through the Segment before heading along the Virginia Capital Trail. There are no Broad Street points - then the winding, cobbled climb of Libby Hill where the fruit machine Jackpot of FAL, FTS and Finish Line points await the fastest. They say Virginia is for Lovers but there certainly won't be much love lost between teams on this action packed circuit!
  • yes please for tuesday. I can make either race.
  • https://zwiftinsider.com/zrl-s2-w7

Course details.

Playoffs isn't a thing for our lowly divisions. Just A1s.

It does mean though we need to keep up the points for another 2 races.
  • ZScot in the As have gained 3 points on us in the last 2 races. Only 4 points between us and them in 3rd. 1st is 8 points and too big to make up. Maybe look to maintain/grow that gap in this race with strong team to ''secure'' the 2nd place, and take the pressure off in the TTT the week after? Looks like they done well in the last TTT.
  • I’m in for Tuesday, cheers.
  • Killer Bs please
  • The strategy is going to be challenging for this one. Lots of options. 5 sprints and a slog.

Perhaps sprints 1 and 2 max out as lots of fresh legs so likely to be together. Then perhaps a double attack with 1km to go for the 3rd sprint. 4th and 5th see what happens. Maybe even an attack with a semi sprint on the 5th and then go over the top for the bid for glory.

Saying that. FTS points on Libby Hill will be big points, so perhaps concentrate on those and make sure as fresh as possible when hitting the climb in a larger group.

Any other thoughts?
  • Happy to race.
    But it will have to be as an A now 🥵

I'll get the excuses in very early, I'm knackered but could sprint, lead out or even attack the last hill for a time attack.
    Your call though 😉👍Hit me up!
  • Rode the course Friday evening at just below race pace at the front end of the TdZ stage 5 group ride thing, to get a feel. Very fast and flat, literally no climbing until the last 700 metres. The group tended to string out approaching the 180 deg turn before the sprint point and a few people got dropped here letting gaps develop on the turn then expand as the sprinters kicked on. Can see this happening Tuesday too.
    If you were to attack on the final lap sprint it is a long way to hold off a chasing group until the climb, and again wide fast straight roads favouring the chasing group. My group was edgy as we left the circuit and descended but no one was able to get away. The climb was less tough than I had remembered. I went to the front as we took the left turn but the climb didn’t actually start for another 500 metres so should have waited. Climb consistently 7% apart from the two cobbled hairpins where it is 13 ish percent but only very briefly. It does start to flatten out just before the finish.
  • Thanks Stef. Good thoughts on a final attack and the sprint. I rode the course earlier in a group ride, no one was really sprinting apart from me so difficult to gauge. It is a very short sprint segment so can see why it would string out early.
  • Available for Tuesday as well Matt, but no worries if need me on standby as sounds like a full house
  • Matt - if you are over subscribed, just pick the strongest team for the A’s. On a circuit like this you want strong 1 minute or 5 minute powers and I’m crap at that. I might be more use in the TTT than this but you decide. I’m happy to race or cheer you on.
  • Evening all,

14 of us this week wanting to ride. Perhaps season 3 we need 3 teams!

If Rob and Paul are still OK with the offer of standing by that means the teams are as follows.

5 As leaves one place left. With Dan in Bs then Graham has the next highest 15s power.

Team A
    Matt P
    Vincent P
    Dave
    John
    Chris
    Graham

Team B
    Dan
    Chris
    Stef
    Martin
    Tim
    Matt
  • Yes that’s fine with me Matt - good luck to all tomorrow. If there’s any last minute issues, I’ll be available. Matt - I’d appreciate it if you can send me the sign up for the race and I just won’t start. That way at least I can watch. Thanks
  • Evening Matt P,

Strategy wise, I have seen online that some teams leave a couple of riders off the race pace to attack FTS points.
    ie, climber / sprinter to lead each other out with fresh legs.
    If the chosen riders were not going to score big pts at finish anyway then it could be worth a punt?
  • No problem Matt, but appreciate if you could send the link to me too and I'll not start / watch as well. Good luck all
  • Matt, I'm going to step down from tomorrow's B race. Not feeling 100% and sure others will fair much better.
  • Killer Bs, I will distribute sign on link shortly once team rearranged...
  • OK Matt. Get better soon. Paul, you're up if still OK?
  • Yep - still good for tomorrow..thanks and get well soon MattS
  • Thanks Vincent. Could be worth a try to see if it works.

For a large fast moving bunch with a flat out sprint and a short sprint segment it will be a tough one to beat though.

I think the challenge will be a break forming on the sprint, or a random attack. That said, I can't see the bunch breaking up.

Sprinting has a fair bit of luck so perhaps the more sprinting the better chance of points and also to watch for a break forming.

Depending on how I'm feeling, I'm probably going to sprint on most laps and save a bit for the end. Perhaps Chris, Graham and me try for the sprint points as many as we can get. Vincent, John and Dave perhaps try for a FTS and go for the max final climb. Although Chris make you save a lot for the end.
  • I was going to suggest all CCA B's going for the sprint HARD on the first lap then seeing if we can keep the pressure on real hard for a minute or two to see if a break stays away, would potentially help mop up 1st through sprints. Would need maximum commitment, anyone think its a good idea?