Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Some good thoughts. It’s a difficult one to judge. The sprint is short (only 220m - 12-15s segment) so a break could happen if riders decide to just keep pushing beyond the banner with the group split behind. As you say Chris, if you can be in that front group on the first lap, then you give yourself a chance of being in a break. Even though it’s a fast course and would be difficult for break to stay away until then end, there’s a chance a break could stay away for a lap, and so more points on the next sprint, even if then caught after that.

I did the course early this eve - a tempo ride, but with each sprint contested. The start of the sprint is only about 100m after the 180 turn, so it will likely start ramping up before the turn I reckon. Saw you noticed that too Stef.

As for Libby hill, if you can offer a good 1m effort at the end of the race, you should do well - there will be a lot of tired riders by that point !
  • Chris, I'll go for the sprint on lap 1 but will need some recovery time, not sure how much I could contribute to a break, might just be a case of me hanging on. I think we will all have to be alert from the start, it's likely to be a very fast start as that will be the best chance.to shed riders.
  • To be honest it could all happen naturally anyway - a break nearly stayed away last year on the full Richmond ZRL race after the first sprint. Lets all be really alert for sprint 1 and wing it
  • I wonder if it will be just full gas++ from the start with riders wanting to break it up early and drop as many people as possible.
    I haven’t watched any of the videos yet on the course. How far in is the 1st sprint?
  • First sprint is about 4 to 4.5 km in.
    Yes I think it will be very full gas right from the start!
    There is a video on WTRL facebook of Jacquie Godbe of Saris and the Pros winning one of the premier division races yday in impressive style, using the lorry draft thing on the final section of climb.
  • Hi Matt P.
    Sounds like a plan👍

Will try & hang on in there with the bunch, maybe go for a sprint or two early, then see if can re-energize enough for Libby Hill!

See you guys out there.
  • This is a very fast Course & I did it last Thursday in the BCTT and its likely to be faster tonight. The sprint is just after the return bend & I usually try to go into the bend hard & come out a few ahead. My plan will only be to start hard & try to hang in there - I think.
  • Wow. That was harder than expected.

I think we did fairly well overall. We wait expectantly for the results. A the very least pretty certain we maintained out 2nd in the league with a hopefully a buffer into the final TTT.

I managed to pip 1st on the 1st sprint by 0.005s with ChrisL 5th
    2nd sprint was a good showing with ChrisL 4th, me 7th and Graham in 9th
    Then an excellently consistent 6th, 5th and 5th for the next 3 laps for ChrisL

I, not heeding Dan's post B pre A warning of going too hard on the 1st sprint and struggling to recover, was soooo close to being dropped on sprint 3 for the same reason and just made it back with a last ditch attempt to get back on. Then recovered the best I could for the final climb.

ChrisL smashed the hill in 3rd whilst I just nipped into 5th.

Graham, Vincent, John and Dave all finishing nicely in the final points.

We await the final results!
  • Results just in!

3rd on the night. But importantly one above our nearest rivals! So a great ride.

So extending our 2nd place lead over them to 5 points.

A reasonable cushion into the final TTT

Not that we will take it easy of course!

Well done Bs. 5th on the night with some good segment points from ChrisP and Dan and a great overall placing for ChrisP.
  • Well done everyone!
    Sorry, I was a bit of a no-show - had some strange power issues from the gun, and got dropped in the first km! Partly an IT anomaly, where the power/cadence didn't reflect the effort I was putting in, but also a lesson in not trying to lay a patio before a race... Once I got my power partially sorted, I rolled around at the back of the race with a sprint team who were strategically hanging back and taking turns to smash the sprints- saw them in the top 3 on the leaderboard several times whilst literally sitting last position in the race...
  • Very impressive results from those at the sharp end - Kudos! Despite pushing out my max watts the peloton disappeared up the road from the start and I was left fighting it out with the tail-end enders. I still went for the sprints - not knowing if there was any benefit but just in case it made a difference. Once in the sub-Group it then became a bit tactical as there was little point pressing on by myself & going into no-mans land. Well done to those who secured the 3rd place.
  • Well done A's, I was hoping to do better this week but that was incredibly tough. Looks like we have secured 2nd and 5th for the A and B team, hopefully enough of a buffer going into the last race.
    Will the A team get promoted?
  • Matt, where do you find the intermediate sprint data?
  • edited February 2021
    Great job everyone. Hopefully we have cemented our 2nd place in A and 5th place B.. just the final TTT to go around London!!

Not sure Dan about A promotion... I would have thought it would be top 2.. will have to wait and see..
  • Graham. If you go to the results in ZwiftPower, then at the top go to Primes. This then shows the places. This only shows As as I assume As are first out of the pen and therefore first across the line.
  • Do we need a TTT reccy?
  • I was going to suggest a Sat recce, Dan
  • Just looking at the route, for events there is quite a big 7.5k lead in before the start at the Classique banner (which is also the finish). However for free rides you spawn near Buckingham Palace 1.5k from the start.
  • I've set something up for 5:30 but just realised that this clashes with the rugby. Is 4 too ealry or could that work?
  • Ok with me.
  • Let me just check my weekend diary...

• I can’t race Tuesday so I’ll leave you guys to practice for this TT.
  • Unfortunately also unavailable this Tuesday.
    Do your best guys & nail it!
  • I'm good for Tues, A or B, whatever is needed
  • I’m OK for Tuesday but again happy to defer to stronger As or Bs riding up. Also I haven’t done a TTT so again defer to those more experienced.
  • Down for Tuesday
  • Final event of Season 2 this week... TTT - Greatest London Flat...get your name down
  • Tuesday yes please
  • And my axe! (Yes please)
  • I’m available if required but pick the strongest team.