Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Beez pleez.
  • Quite a few spaces to fill still. Hopefully we can field two full strength teams.
  • Free if there's a space...
  • In for Tuesday please Matt
  • Yes please (B).
  • I can race Tuesday
  • https://zwiftinsider.com/zrl-s2-w8

This week's ride.

I'll sort out teams a bit later, but currently have 12 riders. Anyone else?
  • Ok, teams for the final TTT of the season.

Team A
    John
    ChrisP
    Rob
    Dave
    ChrisL
    MattP

Team B
    Dan
    MattS
    Stef
    Martin
    Paul
    Tim
  • Thanks Matt - John
    Rest day Monday then.....
  • Thanks Matt
  • FYI... Season 3 starts 6th April!!
  • Do we need a sign in link to ZP and what is the procedure for starting the TT? I’ve seen there is a specific starting time so do we wait for it or will there be a ‘go’ on discord?
  • Sending link now to As.
  • Thoughts for the TTT

John, first and most important point. You need to join as usual start time but we have a 10 minute delay. DO NOT PEDAL. We have to time ourselves to go on time. We can go onto the pairing screen which works and stops dropouts. Worth going back through these messages to pick up hints and tips.

We have much practice and this one is reasonably flat so to bring in some lessons learnt.

Suggest we keep it in two halves as that worked well a couple of TTTs ago.

This time shall we introduce the 30sec rule rather than the longer turns. That said, we still need to balance out the power outputs.

So perhaps the following guide for the first half.

ChrisL ChrisP Matt P - 30 to 45 seconds @ 350 to 375 watts
    Rob, John, Dave - 30 seconds @ 325 to 350 watts

Second half (gets bumpy after down ramp into tunnel)

Picking up the pace a little. Probably likely to drop two riders to leave 4

Keep steady up hills so suggest ChrisP on front up hills to moderate power. Build power down hills and flat bits with ChrisL and me (and 4th rider). Probably fairly fluid in rider order until back out of tunnel.

Then back to 350+ watts at 30 seconds each for Chris's and me and 4th rider where possible (or more likely me where possible).

Rider order for first half to smooth front end power

Rob
    Dave
    ChrisP
    ChrisL
    MattP
    John

To stay in line approx powers

2nd rider 300w (maybe a bit higher)
    3rd rider 280w
    4th rider 260w
    5th rider 250w
    6th rider 240w

Count down from 5 seconds. 2nd rider powers up from 2 seconds. Sink and sprint.

4th rider and below an order is not that important other than to allow the 6th rider to rest at minimum watts to stay on.

Looking forward to it!
  • Super helpful Matt. I’ll do my best!! Only thing to add is that it’s easier to find your order if we all wear different kit. I’ll go for the yellow/black bumble bee top.
  • My top is all yellow - and as asked - will there be a ‘go’ on discord? I assume others will be seen in the pen starting before & after us.
  • Yes John, there will be a GO on Discord. You should have "CCA Racers A" channel in your list on Discord.
  • I assume you have to transfer to the start pen at 7.55 and wait in there inactive for the 10 minutes. You cannot transfer later than the 7.55?
  • Yes get in the start pen before 7.55. Give yourself a few minutes like you normally would. Once in the pen you can go on to the pairing screen and spin away until Matt tells us to get ready.
  • Hi John - yes that's correct, you need to be in start pen before 7:55, and you have to stay inactive and not pedal. But from there, you can back to pairing screen and keep warming up there which is what we all did last time, then re-pair just before we need to go. Can talk you through it on discord before the start if u want?
  • Ok will do - the pairing screen is - Menu - pairing - is that it?
  • That's it. If you join in good time we can talk through it.
  • Well done to all Racers tonight and all that have competed in Season 2.

A real tough one tonight. My legs were seriously not up for it and fell off after 10 mins. Bs did a Stirling job to keep the pace up and stay as a 5 until the last few Kms before taking 4 to the line.

9th on the night but looks like it was more than enough to secure our 5th place in the League... Great job.

1 months rest now!!
  • Many thanks the A Team - that was a baptism of fire tonight - particular thanks to those who took a longer pull on the front. As the WTRL has now finished there is the Thursday inter-club TT for the next 4 weeks & then it stops as outdoor events should start - hopefully. BRCC A Cats have dominated it so it would be good to see some of the CCAs competing. 12.20 or 6.30 and it’s only 10 miles!
  • Thanks for all the organisation and preparation work around these races guys..much appreciated. The racing was tough but really enjoyable. Hopefully get to see you all on the road again before too long!
  • edited March 2021
    So close As... Just pipped to second place by Zscot!! 2 points in it!!
  • A few technicals on the night including Dave stuck on the start line but a great ride by all and a great maiden TTT from John.

Will be interesting to hear other's views but I felt the 30 second stints just seemed to demand an uber level of coordination and less rest time and a lot of chop and changing so more difficult to stay in line. Perhaps we could get work with lots of practice.

We were down on average power and 1km/h down on France.

An awesome showing though from our nearest rivals who came 1st for their strongest showing yet.

Great learning though for season 3!

I really enjoyed this season and was something to look forward to on a Tuesday night along with the pre and post race banter.
  • Thanks Matt - as it was my first TTT I have nothing to compare it to but looking at previous results on WTRL it was the weakest event. Perhaps the teams were stronger in the previous TTTs? I must admit to have been hanging on at times & took less turns on the front than others. Also I felt the start was very slow as I had no intention of leading the team out & it took a fair bit to be assembled. Having a 'reserve' in the starting pen may be an idea - but obviously a luxury in terms of numbers.
  • Rest day Monday + dinner before race = DIRE legs last night. Sorry A's! well done though, another good result, think we punch well above our weight in the group.

Want to thank Matt S and Mat P for all your efforts in organising the teams and doing the series admin. I'll be nominating you both for some sort of CCA E-Racing Award. Cheers both!
  • Well done both teams! Hard luck As, them Scots seem to have really perfected the TTT.

Maybe over the next 4 weeks some TTT training ready for season 3 and some other weekly race to keep us tuned.