Welcome to the forum

Ride London Club Challenge - Breaking News...

Comments

• That's great news Stef, looking forward to it.
    Thanks for sorting it
  • edited May 2013
    Fantastic news. Suppose I'd better start training for my first century then! Trying to ignore my kids comments "100 miles on a push-bike? You're mad - you'll never make it!" Hope to prove them wrong.

Thanks for sorting it all out Stef,

Pete R

PS When and how do we pay?
  • Stef

can i put my name down for a place in team 4 please..... i need a target for this year!

Thanks

Phil
  • Yee haa. Go CCA

So maybe we should forgive the organisers for not giving us many individual places in the first ballot?
  • Amazing this has just made my year! Woo hoo go team ashwell!
  • Peter, Neil and Andrew would be good to get together for a ride as we're in a team!
    Not sure who rides when?
  • There are quiiite a lot of ashwell now (including the ballot). I'm pretty sure they will have us all starting at different times - based on how long we said we'd take? - but if they don't are we going to plan to all try to start together?
  • i'm sure you are right nathaniel, we will all have different start times. the start could be anytime between 06:00 and 08:00 and is supposed to be seeded.
    i presume when we sign up as teams we will have to indicate our likely times then.
    when we know start times can work out if it is possible for cca groups to form on the road
  • teams - the mixed team has to stay as it is, but we could change the 3 mens teams we have been allocated

someone has asked if we should mix up the teams according to who wants to go for a good time versus who is not that bothered.

this could be a lot of a hassle, but it does sort of make sense to ensure teams are well matched.
    although there is no obligation to actually ride as a team - you are encouraged to but dont have to.
    the team will get the time of the 4th rider home. i have no idea whether they will give you an official time as an individual rider too, or whether you will just get the team time.

but as teams will presumably have the same start times it makes sense to ride together initially, even if you dont finish together.

so what do you want to do - try and configure teams to be those with similar aims , and if so how?
  • I got a single place, but would love to ride with others (of similar slowness) if start times permit
  • i would like to have a go at some pace but would be aiming for av 18's
    maybe nice to get all ride london entries (team entries and others) out on the same club run on a weekend?
  • Tom that sounds like a good plan, I think 18's sounds about right as well.
    Is anyone out on the 100 this Sunday?
  • Yeah I will be there hopefully, hopefully not 18mph though because saturday will be close to 100mi? and no doubt there's gonna be a ride on monday so don't really want to go mad
  • ok, first off the mixed team (mark w, stevie, emma, david j)
    you need to enter your details and pay your fee before 5 pm 15th may 2013 - this is a strict deadline apparently.

i will email you the link to enter
  • Excellent news that all teams got in - thanks for organising Stef.

Will sort out registration and payment this weekend once we get the link so we are definitely in!

Emma and David
  • ok, the other teams...

again we each need to complete entry and pay the fee before 5pm 15th may 2013. i will remind you nearer the time.
    i have the links to the entry system - they are specific to each team, cca male team 1, 2 and 3

so we need to decide who is in each team before we can enter
    in order of signing up we have
    1 tom d, pete r, neil m, andrew r,
    2 me, shaun, alistair, richt.
    3 martin h, phil k + 2 others

nb - you have to have 4 people entered , you cant enter a partial team - so we need to find 2 extra riders to make team 3 work.

if you want to shuffle the teams we need to decide pretty quick, tom d and neil m have indicated they expect to average 18's

i know i can ride with shaun and alistair as we all did lejog last year, though they'll probably drop me near the end but thats fine.
    if anyone else has a strong view on their expected average speed or who they want to ride with shout now.
    if we cant come to a conclusion i suggest we just stick with the above teams
  • I'm tempted by this but unsure as to the pace expected in team 3. It's been a while since I managed 100 in a day, but have kept up on recent 40-50 mile Saturday and Sunday club runs at 16-18's.
  • Brilliant news Stef - really looking forward to this and thanks for bringing it together.

I will be looking to push myself hard for this one but suspect that I'm not in the same league as some of the others in my group so am happy to be moved around if team 1 are looking to make a good time.

Would it be worth contacting the organisers to see if we can bring those with individual places into the same start time(s) as the rest of us?

Regards

Andrew
  • Well done Stef! Would be very happy to make up the numbers in team 4 if still required.
  • thanks stef
  • Stef,

Just in case you're considering juggling the teams, I'm only trying to achieve club run pace - 16's ish. Really, my aim is just to finish respectably in working order. I'm happy to be in any team that would have me, but they're likely to be saddled with my time! I don't want to blow out by going too hard, and wouldn't be unhappy to be left behind,to my own devices.
    I want to enjoy the day out, but equally don't want to spoil anyone else's by holding them up.

Peter R
  • If we proposed Club, Medium & Fast would we get to different 3 groups - I'd plump for medium?
  • another much simpler approach might be if we all put the same target time down , then we should all have similar start times, and we could ride together initially, then just form groups on the road as we ride. personally I am not bothered by the team time, or my official time, I just want the chance to ride it, preferably with other cca riders.

team 3 is martin h, phil k, james d
    then barnabas you were first to respond so if you want the 4th place its yours, or if not geoff118 is up for it. let me know?
  • or stick with trying to seed the teams as Andrew suggests
    i'd be happy in medium or club, probably medium by choice.
  • My advice on 'teams' would be to not get too hung up over them. If there is a group of 4 who want to go for it, then go for it. For everyone else the team element is probably less / not important.

This team entry process has been a useful vehicle for getting a place on this ride for those who wanted a place but bombed the ballot. We now have approaching 25 CCA members, on by far the biggest sportive the UK has ever seen. That's great!

On the day, I'd suggest just riding how you like - alone, small CCA group, large CCA group, non-CCA friends, whatever - and enjoy the experience! Like Stef, I'm not bothered about a team time and I don't particularly expect to be wedded to my 'team', although I'm sure I'll ride most, if not all, of the route in a blue group! Go CCA.
  • Stef I agree with your idea that we put down the same start time stick with same groups and work it out down there at start.
    Emphasis for me and why we have this wonderful opportunity is on team not personal gain or speed and as per club i would ride at pace of slowest in team and finish as a team *exception of sprint on the mall where I will doing my best vinokurov impression*

Do let us know how to pay
  • I'm with Stef's idea too.
  • Yea sounds good Stef
  • I think I share Shaun's view of this. I wanted to do this ride and this is the only way in without a high charity collection target. It would be great to ride with as many CCA people as possible but I would not want to put pressure on anyone who might feel they are the weakest in a team, nor have that on me, it is after all a sportive and intended to be enjoyable. I will ride as fast as I am able and work with who ever is around me. After that, lets just have fun.

Based on this I do not mind what team I am in, but I do think we should all try to start together.

Alistair
  • I am in total agreement with the start as a group idea. I wouldn't want to slow any team members down or feel that they had to nurse me around the course. I'd like to enjoy the event as much as possible, without getting too hung up by a time that I need to stick to. I'll probably be able to manage 16ish, but depends on conditions on the day. Really looking forward to doing this and discussing with team mates and fellow club members. I'm amimg to be at the club night on Tuesday if others are going.

John