Welcome to the forum

Ride London team entry

edited March 2014 in Sportives
We applied for 6 teams and we got 5 which is great,

Please note: Each rider within the team must pay their own entry fee (£48) and complete their own online entry form; all 4 riders in the team must have completed and paid for their entry by 25 April or the team will lose its place.
We will get the links for the online entries next week and I'll post them up here. I cant make the ride this year and I'm away for the next couple of weeks so will leave it to you all to sort this out.

I suggest the following teams according to who said they were interested. You dont have to stick to these but if you want to change them you'll need to agree it amongst yourselves, and make sure you get all the entries for the teams sorted out. If people drop out you will need to find replacements. I wouldnt worry too much about who is in which team, last year we all rode in one big CCA group, and you all get an individual time anyway. The group time is for the 4th member of each group across the line, but does it really matter?

MIXED TEAM (2 male. 2 female)
Mark W
Stevie W
Andrew R
Vicky

TEAM 1 (all male)
Martin H
James D
Matt S
Shaun

TEAM 2 (all male)
Will
Neil M
Robbie L
Phil K

TEAM 3 (all male)
Adam R
Mark Young
Andy Hartley
Vic

TEAM 4 (all male)
Jamie
Gino
Bob R
Bob S

1st reserve - Matt Smith

Comments

• Great work Stef. Thanks for putting the application in. Can't wait!
  • With so many applications this is great news for all. Another benefit of being a club member!!
  • Thanks stef look forward to it
  • Whoop! Whoop!
  • Thanks Stef!
  • Excellent Stef - super excited
  • AdamR has pulled out so Matt Smith you have a place in team 3
  • Thanks directeur sportive

Last year I recall we all put in the same anticipated ride time of 6hrs to 6hrs 9mins on the logic we would get the same start time - being mindful of the early start we had last year, 6.38am!!!!!, is there merit in putting in a quicker anticipated time, to hopefully get a later starting position - my ride time last year was 5hrs 10mins
  • Phil,

I think it works the other way round. They send the faster riders off first to get them out the way.

We could put a slower anticipated time but would then be in with slower groups. That would probably suit Stevie and myself this time though. I suspect it was fairly random last year anyway as most of us way over estimated how long it would take which was probably the same for many others.

It depends what everyone is riding for and how important going for a fast time is.

Mark.
  • Phil

Definitely the other way same as VL Marathon. Faster off first for safety.

Stuart
  • So how do you explain boris Johnson going in the first group then.....;-))

Okay then, I am going to stick with the 6hrs-6hrs09mins estimated time on the basis that it wasn't an ultra early start and you could still avoid being caught in the "less fast"riders?
  • Great news to have something to look forward to. Thanks Stef for putting the application in. Better get some rides in as this was a blast last year:)
  • edited March 2014
    Boris's PR people wanted the biggest splash they could get, so that's what decided his start time.

Last year, my expected ride time was the same as the CCA team riders ERT (and I think most of our other members who got places in the main ballot also set their ERT to be the same), but I was given a later start time than the CCA team. Having seen the range of riders and the results from last year, definitely the stronger riders were sent off first ... though their system did also seem to send team riders off earlier than individual entrants (even if they were clearly from the same club).

In this event, there's enormous benefit to be had from drafting, so if your goal is a fast time I suggest you put a really fast ERT on the form. That way you'll start with strong riders who also know how to work together. On the other hand, if you don't want to get up at crack of sparrows, put a longer ERT. Just bear in mind that there will be a lot of people riding for charity who won't necessarily have well-honed group-riding skills

I'd really like to join a CCA team, so please let me know what ride times you decide on and if you'll have me, I'll try to bolt myself on
  • Fantastic news! 5 out of 6 is a great result as I hear the team places were heavily oversubscribed. Thanks Steff.
  • Hi. Sorry i am now on holiday over this weekend so will need to drop out of team 3. Fingers crossed someone will take my place!!!
  • Another place available if someone would like it?
  • Neil... you're our team pacer!
  • I thought last years plan worked well so will go with 6.00-6.09
  • edited March 2014
    Question for Stef (or anybody else who knows): Does each member of a team need to submit the same anticipated ride time?

I would like to aim for <5hrs (based on my effort last year) and was hoping to start with an earlier (faster) group.
  • I was going to ask the same thing... Was going to try go for a speedy one...
  • Are there any other ladies interested in being part of the mixed team? I have a family get together now being arranged for 10th Aug but don't want to cause the mixed team to miss out so will ride if l there isn't anyone else wanting my place.

Vicky
  • Shaun, you should be able to get under 5 hours, given the right conditions. These were my stats last year:

Official ride time was 5hrs 14mins 50secs.

Garmin stats:
    Distance covered 101.6miles
    Moving time 5hrs 5mins 03secs
    Av moving speed 20.0mph
    Max speed 43mph
    Elevation gained 3901ft

I stopped twice and wasn't really rushing at the stops. If I'd known I could have got close to 5 hours, which was beyond my wildest dreams for my first century, I would have gone for it!

John
  • edited April 2014
    Shaun,

Last year it was possible to pick a different time from the others in the team.

But... as the start time allocation is so opaque I'd say that you putting a quicker anticipated time down is no guarantee of an earlier start.

Maybe Jane could add this to her questions to ask the organiser
  • I didn't get much helpful info today, but I'll try again tomorrow.
    Last year, they just kept saying 'start times are allocated according to your expected ride time' ... and that went on and on ... even after I'd been given a different start time to all our team riders - with the same ERT as me! Fingers are crossed that the process is a little more transparent this year and the helpline staff try to be more constructive
  • I would like a place if there is still one available please.
  • I've been trying to get some helpful info on how start times are allocated, but so far, the helpline has been no better than last year. It's easily the most unhelpful pre-event info-line that I've come across! On the plus side, last year the actual ride was spectacular ... and we probably should be grateful that they're a whole lot better at logistics than they are at communications
    As you'd expect, they said start times are worked out according to expected ride times. I couldn't get a date out of them, but they have said that you can change the ERT on your entry form anytime during April, because they won't start allocating start times until 1st week in May
    Don't take this as gospel though - probably safest to get your ERT right by 25th April, (just in case they go off-plan and fix start times earlier than the helpline staff have been told)

Anybody aiming to come in under 5hours? I'm thinking 4hr 50 - 4hr 59 ...
  • Excellent news! Incredibly excited now. Well done to stef for all her work!

Would it be worth collating ERT and adapting teams that way perhaps if there's a chance it could split people up? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Anyway, for what it's worth I will be aiming for 6 hours if being realistic!
  • "for all her work"...really Matt?
  • Hi John. You can take my place in team 3 if your up for it. As said I will now be on holiday that weekend so will not be able to ride.
  • edited April 2014
    Big thanks Stefanny!