Welcome to the forum

La Marmotte sans Galibier 2015 :(

Comments

• Got through and made the payment, but has anyone got a confirmation email? I have a receipt showing payment, can't find my name on the list.
  • Seem to remember getting the confirmation email from sportscommunication took a while....

If you've paid then i think its safe to say you are in :)
  • sold out in super quick time according to the website! well done to all for getting in... we did all get in right !?
  • Anyone considering Chiltern 100 this year? It's a beast
  • I have just booked my flight. I think the same one as most of you Luton to Lyon wednesday coming back sunday. I guess we will do something similar to last time with a couple of little vans. I think i booked them last time i will try and remember who with.

I think the plane might need a trailer.
  • cool, need to arrange a beer night me thinks to confirm/agree logistics
  • edited January 2015
    cant do next week, off skiing :-)

Thurs 29th looks like the earliest for me?
  • MC & Strappy, so sorry guys! I must have your wrong email in my saved list . we rearranged for next week :-(
  • meeting tonight :-)
  • Yep, will be there but might not be until 8.30, im coaching CX at Baldock until 7.30.
  • thanks tim for your time

very productive

here's a beautiful video on youtube of the descent of the galibier http://youtu.be/0ol3LGjqO5I on a nice day.

^the guy takes a few idiotic maneuvers though at the top, slightly worrying for those around him
  • wow. Reminds me of skiing
    ... though this bloke reminds me mostly of the speed-idiots that rocket down crowded slopes at the end of the day
    didn't once hear him say 'on your inside'. Just a few surprised riders shouting after he'd passed them
  • Yes, unfortunately you will meet riders like that and worse, some that think they can do that but dont have the skill.

I cant remember who it was, but someone in the club was telling me about their mate who got wipped out by a reckless descender on the morning descent of Alp d huez before the Marmotte had even started. Ended his ride before it had begun.
  • Monday, 8th June, Tuns 7:20/8

:-)
  • Hi. Not sure if you have seen this but the Marmotte route this year will change due to problems with a tunnel on the route. I'm off to the Alps on Saturday and our guide has just said the route over Telegraph and Galibier is not possible due to this closure and said the Marmotte will be routed around this.
  • Seems to be a bit of confusion about start time tonight
    I can get to Tuns just after 7:30 (- will be picking up medical forms at 7:30)
  • we won't be going up telegraph and galibier? they are literally the mountains I want to do! alp d'huez can do one!
  • Just spoken to someone who lives in the area. One of the tunnels between the Col De Lautaret and Borg D’Oisons has indeed collapsed. A ferry service is in operation taking cyclists around the obstruction; across Lac du Chambon. Obviously a viable solution for half a dozen cyclists but not 5000. So it seems it is possible to ride the orginal Marmotte route, but not as a sportive on the big day.

Daniel
  • talk here of a possible reroute for the marmotte
  • All good MC.

We are all waiting to see if the route is going to be changed and what to. It seems likely that it will be changed and it seems the most likely route will be over the Glandon, back up the Croix de Fer, down the Glandon then Alp d huez as usual. But thats all to be confirmed.

There seemed to be quite a lot of us that were thinking that rather than potter about for 2 days to ride a watered down marmotte we might be better to forget the official marmotte and have 3 full alpine days of our own choice maybe including an unofficial ferry enhanced marmotte on thursday or friday.

All to be confirmed. Get map reading.

Van is booked by the way.
  • edited June 2015
    In response to queries last night about travel insurance, this is the one I used earlier this year travel insurance It's via CTC and includes some cycling-specific risks as well as the usual holiday insurance things.

This covers sportives, but not racing. It's not 'new-for-old' but still seems pretty good value to me (and clearly CTC has a reputation with cyclists to protect, which suggests you'd get reasonable service in the event of a claim). Might also be worth checking that your bike doesn't exceed the max value that they'll cover - I can't see any mention of it in the policy.

For 8days: £27 for basic cover ... or £35 if you also want roadside assistance/recovery, plus cover for loss/theft/damage to your bike (NB see small print for details - theft may only be covered if you're prepared to cart around a hefty bike-lock and your bike is tagged). And finally, this only covers you up to 3000m altitude - are we likely to go higher? - if so, just pay an extra premium

J
  • edited June 2015
    New Marmotte route is now posted

Marmotte 2015 Route

• As we suspected :(
  • It still looks a cracking route which will be tough challenge. Look at the Lacets de Montvernier climb which is this weeks cycling weekly and will feature in the Tour this year.
  • Yes people still looks tough i saw montvernier on the dauphine last week, i deffo want to do that looks stunning.

Took the 6 years to build it apparently only short but Bring it on.

See you all soon.

Strappy
  • edited June 2015
    I recommend everyone (*not on carbon rims) invest in a set of these! http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash-pro-green-alloy-rim-brake-pads/
  • tour de france final mountain stage has also been rerouted because of the tunnel collapse. now goes over croix de la fer, before alpe d'huez
    stage 20
  • they are no good for Campag Nat.....guess I'll have to make do with theirs :-)
  • cheers Shaun