Welcome to the forum

La Marmotte sans Galibier 2015 :(

1235»

Comments

• edited June 2015
    If you need base maps for Garmin Edge, these links should work for the next 48hr. (I don't guarantee these will cover exactly where you want to ride and you might prefer to build the map yourself, but if you're short on time, you're welcome to these downloads)

http://sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/openfietsmap_lite/23-06-2015/5cbc08f2c54e25b2530dd9e10bc4629f
    http://sfs4.pleiades.uni-wuppertal.de/garmin/openfietsmap_lite/23-06-2015/329bda8585e17c947f7f7e87795ac6cf - smaller geographical area and this file is about half the size of the one above
  • This is the route as far as I can work out, it comes out 1.2km short.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/8637534
  • As Tim mentioned there was a small ferry operating on the lake so you could still get to the Galibier from Oisans but even that has closed as they expect a further landslide any moment. It is quite warm out here at the moment!
  • I remember what I did now regarding medical certificate last time... I uploaded my British Cycling licence :-)
  • OMG - HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THE WEATHER FORECAST..... GULP!
  • I think i might bring 2 water bottles and an extra sweat band.
  • Alpe D'Huez will be fun! That lovely sun bouncing off those rock faces as we pedal up the 10-12% ramps!

cant wait... may bring some sun cream as well as an extra bottle... ;-)
  • edited July 2015
    bring sunscreen!
  • was it 9.00 at the Tuns tomorrow?
  • have fun everyone..changed route or no you will have a blast.
  • yes have a fantastic time all. great weather by the look of it... drink lots of liquids...
  • Flippin hot.
  • Scorcheo

Started Alpe d'Huez at 44 degrees C with 2000m climbing already knocked out of my legs. Legions of Marmotte volunteers refilled our bottles and sprayed us with hosepipes and we really couldn't have done it without them. Now at the top of my list of tough climbs. (Counted 8 bottles for the ride = 6 litres, plus 1 that I downed at the finish line and another 1 soon after!)

Having switched from the Gran Fondo to the 2-day Rando des Marmottes, I am in awe of Phil, Martin, MC and Strappy who pretty much completed my route in only 1 day ... 1 very long day

Will write more later, when my brain has filed away the hardest moments. In spite of that pain, riding in the Alps is simply amazing and I can't wait to go back :)
  • edited July 2015
    Did a ride today
    and cheekly little hill climb ;)

nathaniel rosa kom
  • Rosa ends Maynards domination of Sandon Hill Climb

Chapeau!
  • edited July 2015
    hot...hilly...haute....huez....hard

results
    martinh = 9hrs 21mins = awesome
    MC = 10hrs 08mins = going up alp d'huez with a "broken" wheel = hardman
    strappy = 10hrs 34mins = unstoppable
    philk = 11hrs 23mins = i am not built for hills......

thanks to martinh, mc and strappy for getting me to the start line

thanks to andyR for chauffeurring me home after the finish

thanks to skeldog for sorting accommodation and iain and duckster for driving and logistics
  • edited July 2015
    guy's

agree with all that's been said that was harder than the first time i done in 2011 it was the heat i thinks that done us all in.

marmotte man of the day for me was big phil a massive effort from the guy who had no sleep for 2 days and the mountains got to his head

a hard thing to climb the alpe when you have been driven up it in car and felt even that struggle up in first & second gear only.

big thanks to all for driving fetching food water etc and oganizing everthing.looking forward to going back and do some touring

what a stunning place to ride your bike lets not leave it to long before we go again (i am getting older).

thanks all

strappy
  • Wow what a great week that was. Jane, Nathaniel and me drove out for the full week, which allowed some acclimatisation to the terrain and heat. Mid week was so hot that the glue on the car number plate melted and fell off.

Stats for the week 533km and 13,388m of climbing.

Thank you to all the organisers and fellow riders.
  • thanks to everyone for a great long weekend - great company, great location, great food and great time :-)

so so hot... total respect to the Marmoteers... well done!
  • Sounds really tough! Respect to you all..Well done...