Welcome to the forum

FESTIVE 50's / FESTIVE 500

Comments

• Weather looking better tmw.
    Looking at usual festive 50 with a 9am start.
    (Holding back the beers! And years! - a bit)
  • Had my fill of 2014 in the Half Moon this afternoon. Am a definite for tomorrow. Thinking a rematch of Festive 50 number 1?

See you at the Tuns tomorrow and definitely afterwards for a 2015 coffee.
  • Just had me last drink. See Ya 9am
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    Bravo Robbie, ....Still on the grog here...just opened the Highland Park!

Won't be there for the festive 50 tomorrow..got friends staying over, two of them gave me a kicking on Ventoux in 2013! Im working on Friday but may make part of the Saturday GD ride if weather OK.
  • THE FINAL CLIMAX TO THE FESTIVE FIFTIES IS A DOUBLE BUBBLE
    THE GD 100 ROUTE

STARTS AT 8AM SATURDAY 3 JAN
  • Robbie will join you if weather is ok. Wind, snow and ice I can do but I am not well equipped for cold rain. It could be fine but will be lead by the weather. 1.4mm an hour does not sound too bad but for 5 hours it could be a drag. See you tomorrow anyhow at the earlier hour.
  • Looks like a tough ride tmw...
    three of us need at least 50m to get the badge.
    Our three badges are on ice!
  • Gore Tex jacket is waiting. Will join the ride at the Boot RAB in Langford.

I'll check on the forum just before 8am to make sure we're on.
  • edited January 2015
    Just been out in the garden - rain heavy and persistent. Last night's enthusiasm has evaporated and I'm going to try and get out later.
  • A bit too cold and wet for me too. Rollers for me today.
  • FROZEN no not the film but my bloody feet. Guilt trip for not going at 8am I met up with Robbie and Nathan at Haslingfield. Weather was wet and cold. Massive respect to both of them for finishing. I managed to do 58m and was relieved to remove wet gear and defrost my hands and feet. Pleased to have joined them and enjoyed the chat...or was that just the sound of our teeth chattering!!!
  • After the double festive 50 ride today...
    (of course it was worth it!!! )

Robbie and Nathan are awarded the Festive 500 badge having completed 11 and 10 rides respectively.
    Followed closely by Jeremy on 9 rides (unless he sneaks a 50 in tmw!)

Top riding CCA... all safe and sound with only a total of 4 punctures.
  • edited January 2015
    Much respect. Glad I didn't ride in that cold rain but agree that was quite some ride to undertake today. Worthy of a T shirt, not just a badge. The festive 500 badge will be honoured by a pint from me. Well done lads
  • Robbie,

I've messaged you on FB, I don't have your mob number!!

Luke
  • edited January 2015
    In light of these two CCA riders:

Page 154, December 2014’s National Geographic Magazine.

The following is fine and apt quote from Alexandra Fuller’s time spent with several Chilean bagualeros (cowboys) on a terribly inaccessible, remote island way down in southern Patagonia, there to witness & write about the rounding up of wild cows and bulls.

(And) "The question arose: “Is it worth it?". Of course the answer to that question depended on what “it" was and by which set of values you balanced (one’s) life.

In other words, it depended on whether you valued the grandeur of suffering or the banality of comfort and (as per this National Geographic article) it depended on whether you do your life for a living.”

Chapeau!

PS Only managed the Rapha / Strava 500 myself.
  • edited January 2015
    Checked my holiday mileage on Strava last night and realised that I needed at least 23 extra miles to give me 500 festive miles. Just about managed 25 in today's fog and gloom.

Want to thank Robbie for all his efforts organising and leading these rides. His enthusiasm and encouragement was much appreciated. Looking forward to more beasting rides with the club in 2015.
  • Badge to Jeremy!!!!
  • Are these rides starting soon this year?

Putting the Christmas tree up today and beginning to feel festive!

Festive Dutchman
  • Wa-hey and Ho! Ho! Ho!

Festive 50's will start monday 21st Dec and run thro until Thursday 31st December (not Xmas day).This allows for other rides to stay programmed as usual like the Saturday 8am, Will's Sunday 9am and the Pirates Sunday 9.30am plus Bob's Wednesday ride.

The festive fifties all start from the Three Tons at 9am. We will ride as a group, staying together and average between 16/17mph pending on weather. There will be a variety of routes... all between 45m and 55m with no cafe stop. We can have a mince pie and pint after at the Three Tons.

I'll try and make the majority of these rides but will miss a few due to track sessions and other unplanned things. We can all post to say who's out the day before etc

Build that base!!!
  • Sounds good Robbie

finish work on Friday 18th, back in Tuesday 29th, so base building for me begins Saturday 19th!
  • Routes:

Each ride will be around 50 miles based on the usual ones like :

Hexton- Lilley - Old Knebworth.
    Sandy - Bourn - Chapel Hill.
    Barrington - Duxford - Barkway
    Heydon - Buntingford - Ardeley
  • Nice Robbie!

It's really nice to see going out cambridge way! I\ve got mudguards fitted all ready for this
  • Tinsel, Santa hats and hangovers allowed..
  • I have just acquired a film camera. To bring it along on the rides! Going to buy some black and white film.

Anyone decorating their bikes?
  • Cheers for organising Roberto! I've looked at my schedule and various commitments and 'think' I will be able to manage a festive 250! Only half a bad for me then.
  • I've managed to get a couple of extra days off work next week, so hope to make some of these rides. I too will be aiming for more like 250 miles, and yes Nathaniel, my bike WILL be decorated!
  • jenny AWESOME!

I unfortunately won't be joining you until (probably) after christmas now because a burn on my hand hasn't yet healed up and a ride today has confirmed I can't hold the bars with that arm yet so I'll be thinking of you from the staionary gym bikes ;)
  • Hi all
    Happy to guide Wednesday's [23rd Dec] ride if that's OK? 50 miles. 9am. Three Tuns.

To Saffron Walden, and maybe a quick pop in the Bicicletta cafe.
    https://www.biciclettavelo.com/about

Route;

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3240304-ashwell-saffron/
  • Finished work yesterday, so kicked off my festive season today solo with a furtive furty five miler.

Positively balmy, I mean loony, I mean barmy conditions.

Hitchin Aston Benington Dane End, Mundens (should be renamed Mud Ens), Ardeley, Weston, Wymondly Hitchin

Furty five @ fifteens.

Festive Dutchman
  • Sounds like a good one Martin!

Easy route Monday... flattish to kick the festive fifties off. Langford Ireland Cardington Temford St Neots Waresley Gransdens etc

Steady pace with fixed wheel and hip flasks welcome. I'll be on my fixed steamroller so won't be beasting it.