Welcome to the forum

CCA G-RIDE Spring Classic, Good Friday 3rd April 2015

edited February 2015 in General
At the club night [Tues 3rd Feb] I hope to walk through the route for Mark Wyer's brand new CCA Club Spring Classic...

This Good Friday, 9am from Ashwell, 3rd April 2015, the inaugral CCA G-RIDE…

It's a circular route from Ashwell across road and through fields. We can't promise cobblesh. But we can bring you gravel and grime. Prepare for punctures, mud and thunder.

An official badge for every finisher.

null

Comments

• relieved there are no typos in your G Spring classic Martin :-)
  • That sounds great, thanks Mark, Martin. Its in the diary.

Will start the long process of bike and tyre selection!
  • The route is all doable on road tyres - cyclo-cross tyres are banned!

The unmade road bits are gravel or broken tarmac - think of the Greenway (in fact a bit of the route uses the Greenway).

I rode some of the route yesterday and last Friday over snow and coped fine with 28mm tyres (90 psi) with no punctures and mudguards with some clearance.

Off-road pedals might be a good choice if you think you might have to walk a bit, but I didn't have to put a foot down yesterday and the conditions couldn't have been much worse.

Probably best not to bring your best carbon summer bike though!
  • This year's route will feature 6 - 7 unmade road sections. However just like Paris-Roubaix, I will be on the lookout for new sections to add for future editions.

Any ideas for enhancing the route will be welcome. Let's uncover some hidden gems.
  • Mark - i suggest you cycle out into the middle of nowhere then ask a Garmin to get you home. They manage to find all sorts.
  • looks like a good ride, definitely up for this
  • I am totally up for this and very frustrated that I am on a stag do that weekend that starts early on the friday, arghhh!

Looks like a lot of fun and gutted to miss it.
  • providing that i have not got family stuff going on i will try and make this event.. it looks brilliant.

if you're looking for slightly off the beaten path roads, have you thought about Nuthampsted airfield. There is a stretch that that goes through to Ansty thats a little beaten up but would be good fun. The farmer is a nice chap and I am sure he would not mind a few cyclists riding through.
  • Here is Mark's draft route. It is liable to a few small changes. Check out the final, approved route closer to Good Friday.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/624213544

Have a good Friday all!
  • Disappointed not available....celebrating my 60th in Glasgow that weekend. hope it all goes well.
  • edited February 2015
    60, Graham
    surely not
  • 60 miles or 60km, Graham? My birthday on the 3rd, so will be out of action...
  • Thanks Mark And Martin For planning this ride out! And all the hard work. Can't wait to give it a go! Better get some 25c's.............
  • I was planning on riding the Welwyn Hilly TT but this looks far more fun.

Happy to go with the flow but would be interested in a faster non-cafe stop option.
  • edited February 2015
    Sounded great at the pub last week so definitely in! Carbon cross bike with 28's i think.
  • Jeremy,

If we have enough riders and a Garmin type person then a faster group could well be possible.

Route more firmed up (in the design sense not in the drying out way). Will release details of G(ravel) sections soon with scoring for difficulty.

So far we have booked on
    Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D

Mark.
  • I'm definitely in for this too. 30c Challenge Strada Bianca tyres already fitted to my cross bike in readiness.
  • Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    David
    Robbie
  • I'm in too.

Cross bike ready, still need to make a tyre decision, I'm probably going with 28" Gator skins??

Cheers
    Scott.
  • Count me in please Mark

Will probably join you on the off-road section nr Willian/Graveley - close to home.

Undecided as to cross bike with thinner road tyres or road bike with fatter 28c tyres.....

John
  • edited February 2015
    The route is sorted - subject to me finding extra bits to add in!
    http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/637445154

80.5 miles.

11 Special G sections with grades of difficulty.
    1. * Baldock By-Pass
    2. * Willian Way
    3. * Greenway
    4. ** High Trees
    5. *** Whitehill
    6. ** Latchford
    7. *** Dassels Berg
    8. * The Causeway
    9. ** Chrishall Common
    10. * Wimpole Way
    11. ** Ashwell Street

Tyres
    The less tread the better - tread will pick up mud, thorns, flints etc
    The widest you can fit in your frame
    Pumped up fairly hard 80 - 90psi to avoid picking up mud, thorns, flints etc
    As new as possible with no nicks etc to pick up mud, thorns, flint etc

Mark.
  • Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Robbie
    Scott
    John FD
    Theo?
  • Very tempted. Depends a bit on family things yet to be finalised but put me down as probable please.
  • Should be there and interesting to see how things go during the off road bits with slicks on!
  • You should all be able to access the map via the link above now - let me know if not.

Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Robbie
    Scott
    John FD
    Theo
    Jamie Q

Probable
    John R
    James D
  • FDFD
    edited February 2015
    Hi Mark

Route looks both fun and challenging, thank you. I've been on Violet's Lane through Furneaux Pelham, by the old Rayments Brewery (mile 45) that leads through to Brent Pelham in some shocking conditions - as it's also where a stream runs, in wet weather it was like riding in a gravelly river!

Regarding 'Any ideas for enhancing the route will be welcome. Let's uncover some hidden gems', how about the following suggestions, not sure they're necessarily road cycling gems though:

Just after the Greenway section, passing under the A1M at Graveley (mile 16) you can cross the B197 and climb a few steps onto a gravelled path (public access) that goes behind the church and Graveley Bury to emerge back onto your route before the climb to Chesfield.

Alternatively, instead of continuing onto the road to Chesfield, you can turn left to climb a steep bridle path that overlooks Chesfield Down golf club and scenic views west and goes all the way through to the Cricketers pub at Damask Green on the outskirts of Weston. This path is usually firm packed, very rideable, a bit of additional mud in damp conditions, perhaps! At Damask Green turn right for 1 mile on narrow road back to your route to pick up road through Warrens Green to Halls Green (mile 19)

After Halls Green, at the junction just before the steep hill down to Luffenhall, there is a Byeway open to all traffic (BOAT) on the left (21.7 miles) This actually goes all the way back to Clothall, passed earlier on the route, but go along here for a short distance to pick up a permissive byway on the right that brings you around Luffenhall Common and emerges back on your route near Newell Lane and Cromer Mill is in sight almost directly ahead. Can get churned up by motor cross bikes though.

At the junction where Newell Lane meets the minor road between Cromer and Cumberlow Green, you can go up a stiff path to the Mill, instead of using the B1037, but it's difficult! (22.8miles)

Incidentally, there is another BOAT, just past the windmill and before Cottered, the remains of a Roman road that extended Stane Street's route from Colchester to Ermine Street at Puckeridge, and passes the deserted medieval village of Wakeley to emerge on a lovely lane at Cherry Green, between Westmill and Nasty. Nearby is Button Snap, former home of essayist and poet, Charles Lamb. However, the byway might be more suited to cross and mountain bikes, given standing water and mud at this time of year!

I'll keep thinking about other gems I've ridden near to your excellent G route.

John
  • edited March 2015
    John,

Thanks, those look interesting.

The path I am using at Furneaux Pelham is parallel to the river bed one which can be tough going even in the summer. Goes past Whitebarns. Do you know the paths over Bozen Green towards Furneaux Pelham at all? They look promising on google earth but I haven't had a chance to try them.

I like the sound of the Damask Green route - will try and check out before then. Not so keen on having to walk up steps! But we could cut across from the bottom of the Chesfield climb.

Plus the Luffenhall one. I think it gets very grassy near Clothall but I like the idea of your route. Will probably check that one as a priority.

The final BOAT I have ridden on a road bike but it was a mission - it's definitely one to save for the 'cross bike! As you probably know there are some good paths that head back from Cherry Green way towards Aspenden but all more suited to 'cross bikes.

The other path I was going to include goes from near Morrice Green through the Cokenach Estate to Barkway Hil but it didn't fit in with the rest of the route. There's also the bit from the top of Barley that goes north of the Newsells estate. Maybe to be added next year.

Mark.
  • Hi Mark

Oh, I see now about the track in Furneaux Pelham...I was worried about Violet's Lane and the stream bed. Incidentally, I was cycling through there once with a friend in CID and we had to climb up onto the sides of the stream as it was flooded. We were amazed that when we reached the top it looked like a field of illegal marijuana was growing there! He called it to the police and it was a legally registered crop for hemp!

Don't know the lanes around Bozen at all, I'm afraid.

Try the Damask Green route from the church at Graveley. There's only half a dozen steps up from the B197 after the motorway underpass. The bridlepath from the church is very narrow and steep at the beginning, but does flatten out. Again, at this time of year it may be more suited to 'cross/mountain bikes!

Looking forward to the ride.

John
  • edited March 2015
    Every finisher gets an official G-RIDE badge...

null
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Hi all

for those who like this kind of grav