Welcome to the forum

CCA G-RIDE Spring Classic, Good Friday 3rd April 2015

Comments

• Like the very welcome coffee at the Three Tuns on the 3 Cafes Classic, the Three Tuns will happily open again for coffee on Good Friday's G-RIDE Classic.

Doors open at 8.30am, the ride starts at 9am.

Get down there whether riding or not for a natter and a caffeine boost, cosy, dry, indoors. Lovely.

All welcome. Looks like a fantastic route.

Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Robbie
    Scott
    John FD
    Theo
    Jamie Q

Probable
    John R
    James D
  • Travis and me will come along for a bimble ;-)

Shelton
  • Can you put me on the probable list please
  • I checked the Halls Green to Luffenhall suggestion. Nice path but a bit too rough due to horses. Have already scoped out some ideas for next years version near Buckland. I had heard of the Rapha version but didn't know it was still going - only 100k though - beginners!

We are probably going to be enough riders to split into two groups. I suggest we split into two random pelotons to start with. We will probably leapfrog each other with puncture fixing. Can then split into a fast and slow group from the lunch stop.

Anyone who just wants to do the first few miles could turn back from Luffenhall, straight back to Ashwell via Cromer and Slipend. Alternatively after lunch you could get the train back from Meldreth to Ashwell.

Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Robbie
    Scott
    John FD
    Theo
    Jamie Q
    Pete G
    Shelton
    Travis

Probable
    John R
    James D
    Bryn
    MC
    Phil K
  • I am now a "definite"
  • Great to have you along Phil.

Is anyone a Garmin expert and prepared to lead one of the groups?

Thanks,
    Mark.
  • Hi all,

Alternative route finding method, if we don't have a garmin guru.

Rider signpost leapfrog method. Front group on the road leaves a rider at each junction to signpost the route to any riders behind. Riders coming up take over signposting duty until designated Tail end Charlie (ideally at least two riders) reaches that point and all continue. If anyone punctures they just fix puncture with a buddy and continue unless caught by Tail end Charlie who waits with them. If no one at a junction you assume straight on. There is always a slight risk of losing a rider with this method but anyone unsure of where to go should wait for the TEC. Also there is a danger of signposting riders getting cold if there is a big gap.

Does that make sense? Which method do you prefer?

Mark.
  • Unfortunately gotta pull out of this one. Got less time than hoped.
    I'll be going on road shorter and hopefully faster. Good luck to all. Have fun.
  • Hi all,

A final route modification. I have added a section at Ardeley that you will either love or hate. I think it's probably the signature section of the ride!

New G section list
    1. * Baldock By-Pass
    2. * Willian Way
    3. * Greenway
    4. *** Tranchee de Ardeley
    5. ** High Trees
    6. *** Whitehill
    7. ** Latchford
    8. *** Dassels Berg
    9. * The Causeway
    10. ** Chrishall Common
    11. * Wimpole Way
    12. ** Ashwell Street

New route link (let me know if you can't access it) http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/664206390

We may have a route navigator but if anyone else wants to share the load then let me know.

Mark.
  • Happy to volunteer my services as a Garmin guru navigator. Is the route above the 'final' route or is their a possibility for a change or two? Just so i know when i'm good to put the route onto my garmin. Also happy to lead a group if need be.
  • Hi all, new recruit here. I can load the route onto my Garmin as well if we're in need of another navigator...
  • Good luck with this everyone. I am going to do a shorter ride as restricted on time unfortunately.
  • Mark,

I have a Garmin Edge 800 that i can bring too, I will load the route on but I'm by no means an expert!!!

See you all Friday.

Scott.
  • Note to BenyR....NOT a group leader, just a Navigator who can advise of the various turns etc. It's a club ride and as others will explain for liability reasons you aren't Leading the group...cheers and have a great ride everyone. Very jealous. Great route Mark and also John's variations. For the record, as far as I know Mark Wyer and I are the only officially BC qualified ride leaders so on that score the club is always covered for us to lead a ride.
  • Sorry Geoff i didnt mean for that to sound how it did (dont want to get told off lol). All i meant was if you do split into groups and needed a garmin guru for that group to help with directions, im happy to help, not to actually lead a group in the manor your are saying, sorry.
  • not cross at all Beny :-) just trying to protect you should anything go badly wrong. you would be targeted as responsible if you put yourself forward as a ride leader...that's all. Have a good one.
  • edited March 2015
    Ben - that's it, no more route changes. Promise! The only deviation may be if we are running very late due to bad conditions, then we will take a short cut. If we are doing well on time then we might be able to fit in a coffee stop in Ardeley. I will arrange regrouping points for us all to meet up.

Thanks to all garmin volunteers, the more the better just in case groups get split. We will regroup at the end of each G section anyway.

Time to check your bikes, make sure all bolts are done up securely, especially mudguards and bottle cage bolts.

Mark W
    Stevie
    Tim D
    Jon C
    Chris6522
    Nathaniel
    Jeremy
    Beny R
    Daniel D
    Dave H
    Scott
    John FD
    Theo
    Jamie Q
    Pete G
    Shelton
    Travis
    Phil K
    Andy W

Probable
    John R
    Dan H
    MC

Don't forget coffee at 8:30am in the 3 Tuns.
  • Weather forecast appears to be steadily deteriorating for Friday.

If heavy rain on the day are slicks still a good idea? Was thinking Conti 4S plus mudguards but have the choice of cross tyres if more suitable in the wet?
  • Weather is looking very Belgian.

What is the situation with mudguards? I'm not a regular club runner so don't know if they are compulsory in this weather. My bike has eyelets and enough clearance but would struggle to get some for Friday.

Surely a bit of toothpaste is part of the fun on this type of ride.
  • FDFD
    edited March 2015
    Grim weather indeed.

Spent last Sunday morning cleaning the steed and fitting 28mm Conti 4 Seasons in anticipation...pretty smooth tread and not sure they'll cope with gloopy mud on the off-road sections, especially with narrow SKS guards fitted.

Given the repeated soakings endured in recent weeks, the chances of my hiding under a warm duvet instead are rising by the minute.....!
  • edited March 2015
    Hi all,

Slick's will be fine. Otherwise it will feel heavy going and slow on the tarmac. Tyre choice is always a compromise and the majority of the ride is tarmac. Most of the off-road sections are gravel rather than mud - there's no sections where it's deep mud.

Mudguards preferred but not compulsory. If it was a normal club run I'm sure there would be lots of moans but this is a special ride and I'm sure lots will have had to compromise to fit wider tyres.

Mark.
  • Thanks Mark. Will stick with the planned slicks and full mudguards (and Gore-Tex jacket).

Looking forward to it whatever the weather.

If anybody wants any motivation to ride then try to catch last weekend's Ghent Wevelgem on YouTube.
  • Aye, im sticking to the road bike with 28mm gatorskins. They are rather slick but as Mark says it will be mostly tarmac and i don't won't to drag knobbles round the roads. A bit of slipping and sliding adds to the fun.
    Didn't have room for 28's and mudguards though so don't wear your best kit. Sorry. Rest assured they will be back on afterwards.
  • I am making do (lol) with 23mms. and they are awfully skinny 23mm aswell. hmm
  • I went for an SKS S Blade clip on rear mudguard, it works well and isn't that pricey.

If you want to wear your best kit, Tim ride behind me. Although I would guess that I will be way behind you struggling to keep up!

Looking forward to it, optimistically taking the showerproof jacket thinking it won't be sufficient!
  • A friend is going to lend me some mudguards that he reckons will fit over my 30mm tyres. If not expect this.

null
  • Great picture Dave - was that you on the Greenway?!

At least the Belgian toothpaste kept your teeth clean!
  • Just to clarify, would there be any objections for CX tyres on CX bikes i.e. Schwalbe Sammy Slick 35c tyres? I do have 28c tyres though. Also apologies in advance, i have no mud guards.
  • I dont think there are any objections to cx tyres, just that there is a lot of road to lug the sammy slicks, which are still quite knobbly, around. Id stick with the 28's.