Welcome to the forum

CCA G-RIDE Spring Classic, Good Friday 3rd April 2015

13»

Comments

• my CX is sadly still in bits after a season of racing abuse so won't be able to jump on this time; hope everyone has a good ride and that the weather is kind

cheers

Simon
  • Beny - I've done all the route on road tyres in all conditions, including some sections last Sunday morning in the wind and rain and no punctures so far. (I'll probably be first to puncture tomorrow!)

Nathaniel - does your frame take 28mm tyres? I'll bring some tomorrow and you can change them whilst I sit in the warm drinking coffee. A spike in the form of soft cheese would go through those you had on Saturday.
  • Can't believe it, not going to be able to make it now :-(
    Got 2 viewings on house tomorrow as we are selling and need to be there to take the dogs out. Gutted as was really looking forward to this ride :-(
  • Mwire, got some beefy winter 23mms, no idea about 28mm we can see tomorrow I guess? If it's any trouble at all don't bring them! The rims are super skinny, not sure how 28mm would fare on them?!
  • Nathaniel, I'll bring them and you can decide tomorrow.
  • Prepare yourselves to ridicule my knobbly schwalbe land cruisers.
  • Rode a few of the early gravel sections yesterday and they were cleaner than the lanes. Reckon normal Winter bike stuff will be fine.

What's the deal with food tomorrow? Same drill as Cornfields ride or just ride it out on Powerbars? Stopping at cafe?
  • Coffee at Ardeley if we are running well without punctures.

Lunch at one of the Melbourn Garden Centres. Philimores if we are early enough, otherwise the posh one which does more of a buffet.

The Coop at Melbourn will also be open to stock up on drinks and snacks (15 to go).

There is always Wimpole Hall if we are not covered in mud but that is only a few miles after Melbourn.
  • FDFD
    edited April 2015
    Hi all

Rode 50 miles today, around 20-25 of it on the route. Perfect conditions, blue skies, no breeze, little traffic.

Mostly dry roads, despite Wednesday's overnight rain. On the route, went on lovely gravel track I mentioned behind Gravely church and up to Chesfield. Beware right turn 200 yards after climbing Chesfield hill - holes, water, gravel, rain. Surface water and gravel on the minor road to Hall's Green and bottom of steep hill near Luffenhall. All clear at Ardeley, where turned to Throcking. Back through Buckland, Reed, Therfield, Kelshall, then on route again Ashwell, Wallington all clear as was gravel track towards Baldock, Quickswood, Clothall and Weston. Water under motorway tunnel onto Greenway, which was remarkably good, back to Hitchin.

Forecast and conditions are not too bad now! Will join in Willian at 15 miles and turn back at Puckeridge.
  • edited April 2015
    Another great CCA day out. Thanks for the route Mark an absolute corker and the makings of a true classic. It was proper grimy though which was great apart from all the punctures. Think it was 11 when I left at Brent Pelham. I rode with Jeremy and Phil to Therfield then kept it real, riding the bridleway from Mc Donald's to Littlington . Hope you all got back ok.

• The makings of CCA classic ride! The damp conditions added to the Roubaix theme as well as Trenchee de Ardley. Good strong group out whose progress was hampered by a glut of punctures. No tyre seemed immune to the thorns and flints. Tim, Phil and I beat an early retreat after 50ish miles for a fast ride back in pouring rain.

Thanks to Mark for organising another great day out on the bike with CCA.
  • Thanks Mark, really really really brilliant ride, nice pics!
  • Thanks to the organisers for this brilliant ride.. Definitely delivered gravel, dirt and grimey roads. Just need to muster up some motivation to clean my bike! Thanks again.

Nathaniel, I have an email address for you now. Can you message me and I will pass it to you.
  • Thanks again for organising, Mark - enjoyed that a lot. Ardeley section was an experience!

46 miles on the garmin, after turning for home at Puckeridge.

Thanks also to MC and Loughborough Andy for the tow back - I was pedalling squares by the time I'd got to Halls Green!

Hope the rest of the ride went OK.

Never seen so many punctures or so much mud and filth on my road bike - ride should have been sponsored by a bike cleaning products company.

John
  • Thanks for organising this Mark. Couldn't have asked for a better training ride for Paris Roubaix next week.

All three of the 3 star sections were the highlights, hit them hard and pray to the god of grip. Great riding by everyone, no offs was a credit to the groups bike handling skills.
  • Thanks Mark, great ride, I really enjoyed it.

The Gatorskins were fantastic at preventing punctures but not so good on the mud of Ardeley, it was like riding on an ice rink.

Sorry I was the first to leave at 35 miles but just under 55 total by the time I got home including my morning ride over to the start at Ashwell.

Great ride and good company.

Scott.
  • Splendid ride Mark, thank you for organising this. Many punctures of course. I did indeed get a puncture, which is annoying, however it does mean the spliced inner tube repair I had made did not fail (I did wonder if that was the cause of my flat).

Good to meet Chris and Dan. Chapeau to Dan for riding much further than ever before. It was a long day and cold; you deserve your badge more than anyone!

Jon should get a special badge for suffering the most from punctures!

Daniel
  • edited April 2015
    I think there were 11 of us who completed the route - Daniel D, Jon, Shelton, Travis, Dan H, Dave, Theo, Chris, Nathaniel and Pete G.
    An especial well done to Dan who smashed his previous longest ride and all on a heavy hybrid.
    G Ride 1
    G Ride 2
    G Ride 3
    G Ride 4
  • edited April 2015
    First photos posted on forum - sorted now after a few attempts!
  • edited April 2015
    Thanks Nathaniel - also a well done on getting round on 23mm tyres without a single puncture. Remind me Theo, what tyres did you use? Not cheating at all?
  • change the _m.jpg to _b.jpg