Welcome to the forum

Ride London team entry

Comments

• Biblical
  • At least it will be a warm biblical flood.

A cold bibilical flood forecast ALL WEEK for my Snowdonia cycle touring week beginning Saturday!

Ohh, you were lucky, when we we young we lived in a puddle, ate gravel for breakfast, got up at 2am, 3 hours before we went to bed, worked a 26 hour day....
  • Just had a 30 min queue to get to a human being via the helpline, but in the end, she was a whole lot more helpful than any of last year's lot were

Because is might save somebody else losing 1/2 hour of his/her life to call centre music, here's what I was told:

1) Photocopy of passport or of your drivers licence is acceptable ID at Registration
    2) Bring safety pins so you can attach your number to your jersey
    3) Kit bag (that you put all your stuff in at the Start and they deliver it to you at the Finish) is 50x60cm and probably similar to last year's ie like a polythene bag with a drawstring
    4) Gels and bars are High 5 (and only available at some of the stops - see brochure for details). Nuts, bananas and jelly babies also provided

If I don't see you at crack-of-sparrows on Sunday, have a great ride and I hope to catch up with you in Green Park around lunchtime - hurricanes and wasps are not invited!
  • Thanks Jane, very helpful
  • Vic, Bob

I'm 7.45 start yellow G. Would be pleased to link up with you. You will probably recognize me by my blue CCA jersey (!) but I have also whispered my phone number.

John
  • Bob, Vic & John

I've pm'd you my number.
    Will be there early so would be great to arrange some sort of meet up.
    Blue wave q 7:55 whatever that means?!?!

J
  • I am 7:45 yellow I believe. Would be good to meet up with others too! Jamie, I believe you have my number. if anything gets arranged and you wouldn't mind dropping me a text I would be extremely grateful!
  • Winter bike or just get wet?
    My days the forecast looks shocking
  • It was surprisingly easy to all meet up last year if you are all starting at a similar time. There is space before you enter the start gates. And you can move around in the gates if you spot a blue shirt. Also once you through all the start area shenanigans you all end up on the closed a12 which is very wide so plenty of space to regroup.

Have a great ride everyone. It was brilliant last year, although the weather helped. - hope Bertha is kind to you.
  • VicVic
    edited August 2014
    The main problem might be if our Ashwell blue is covered by rain jackets, then we'll look the same as hundreds of others.

Praying that Bertha decides she would rather go to France than Surrey!

Currently contemplating fitting mudguards to my summer bike.
  • At the risk of being labelled a pessimist .... am I the only one who's considering pulling out?

Forecast is for heavy rain from 2am to 10am and then steady rain with wind speed rising to 34mph by 1pm. 1hr standing around at the Start with no shelter sounds very unappealing indeed ... followed by 5hours of peloton riding in the wet. Hmmm
  • Will's 'Start Area' description of an old village hall + smell of embrocation and poo suddenly sounds quite attractive!
  • edited August 2014
    Thinking 3 spare inner tubes... not deep rims just in case I'll need to cadge another inner tube!
  • Winter bike, find some blue shirts, I am riding with 3 friends that I know can ride a bike in the wet.
    It will be a right laugh
  • Winter bike. The weather doesn't look good, but what's really putting me off is the helmet sticker...
  • Crud RoadRacer Mk2 mudguards fitted to Pinerello.
    New tyres, chain and cassette fitted last week and tested well.
    Still not sure what to wear, rain jacket might get too hot, gilet might get too wet!
  • Winter bike prepped and ready
  • Winter bike out of action, no choice but to grin and bear it... and do a lot of cleaning next week!
  • edited August 2014
    If you don't fancy riding this in Hurricane Bertha, you can withdraw online and they'll guarantee you a place in next year's event
  • Which helmet you trying to put the sticker on Will?
  • Summer bike was due its annual wash.....I'm happy :)
  • VicVic
    edited August 2014
    Jane

Rule #5 HTFU
    Rule #9 If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are badass. Period.

Come on, you can't wimp out now.
  • Apologies Teamsters I have withdrawn. It's all about 2015 now...
  • I'm out... Apologies! Don't fancy the standing around for an hour in chilly rain at silly o'clock in the morning being a bit underdressed/overdressed for the ride...
  • 100 mile bike ride where I need to be in a start pen by 5.50am, cycling thru an old hurricane. Not again!

The kind of conditions that guarantee a few stories. I'm more in than ever.
    I have Robbie's tale of riding up/down Shap going thru my head.
  • Latest email from the organisers talks about shortening the route, omitting Leith and Box Hill if the weather conditions require it.

Not sure I'm going to enjoy it but it should be epic.
  • Nice to hear a few of you still up for it. Just leaving excel after registering. Wiggle doing a great trade on rain jackets! !

I will have bright yellow rain jacket on in start pen but stripping down to CCA for the ride.
  • I am still in

I might regret these words, but they never actually know.
  • Looking out the window now at the lovely sunshine seems hard to believe it will be so bad but that's the English summer for you.

Shame about the latest email but Jackie and I are just packing the car and will both be there.
  • On me way to Stratford... numbered.
    All this weather thing. All marketing hype to make it seem tougher!
    It'll be fine... : ))