Welcome to the forum

Ride London team entry

Comments

• Respect! (I've withdrawn)

V glad to hear that somebody will be there and flying the CCA colours. Good luck - going to be an epic ride, that's for sure
  • Have spent the day putting mudguards back on and buying new ones and making waterproof shorts! Will report back if they work.

Due to start at 7:45am in Yellow Wave with Anna so will look out for other Ashwellians but suspect that everyone will look the same in yellow or white rain jackets.

Looking forward to it.

Mark and Stevie.
  • like vic said - rule #9 applies - see you all tmrw :-)
  • edited August 2014
    If we are mark’d to die, we are enow
    To do our country loss; and if to live,
    The fewer men, the greater share of honour.

God’s will! I pray thee, wish not one man more.
    By Jove, I am not covetous for gold,
    Nor care I who doth feed upon my cost;
    It yearns me not if men my garments wear;
    Such outward things dwell not in my desires.

But if it be a sin to covet honour,
    I am the most offending soul alive.

No, faith, my coz, wish not a man from England.
    God’s peace! I would not lose so great an honour
    As one man more methinks would share from me
    For the best hope I have. O, do not wish one more!
    Rather proclaim it, Westmoreland, through my host,

That he which hath no stomach to this fight,
    Let him depart; his passport shall be made,
    And crowns for convoy put into his purse;

We would not die in that man’s company
    That fears his fellowship to die with us.

This day is call’d the feast of Crispian.
    He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian.

He that shall live this day, and see old age,
    Will yearly on the vigil feast his neighbours,
    And say “To-morrow is Saint Crispian.”
    Then will he strip his sleeve and show his scars,
    And say “These wounds I had on Crispian’s day.”

Old men forget; yet all shall be forgot,
    But he’ll remember, with advantages,
    What feats he did that day.

Then shall our names,
    Familiar in his mouth as household words-
    Harry the King, Bedford and Exeter,
    Warwick and Talbot, Salisbury and Gloucester-
    Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb’red.

This story shall the good man teach his son;
    And Crispin Crispian shall ne’er go by,
    From this day to the ending of the world,
    But we in it shall be remembered-
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
    For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
    Shall be my brother; be he ne’er so vile,
    This day shall gentle his condition;

And gentlemen in England now-a-bed
    Shall think themselves accurs’d they were not here,
    And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
    That fought with us upon Saint Crispin’s day.
  • Admittedly the above is a bit too high brow for me!

Summer bike is winterified and new waterproof purchased to transform me into one of the homogenised yellow crowd tomorrow.
    Will be hanging around the blue truck covering the late 17k's from 7am looking for Bob and the others. Rule #87 also applies.

Good luck to everyone - I think we'll need it

JRVM
  • Booked into the same hotel as Giant Shimano, Raleigh, Netapp Endura and a few other teams so I'm helping them out with race tactics at the bar:-)

BTW they certainly don't waste money on fancy hotels.
  • Aha. Martin is cunningly doing the ride on the 25th October :D

Good to see cyclocrossers not bottling it ;)
  • Ido hope the poetic references however highbrow are not re-appearing. Had quite enough with the pugwash crew Martin.
    Have a great epic cycling experience CCA. wish I were riding with you. Have my own epic climate up here.
  • Henry V....
  • Yawn!! Ouch this is early. On Way.
  • Bedlam. But no one seems to mind.

null
  • Route shortened! 86 miles. Both hills oot. Blue sky at mo. 19 degrees.
  • Met Office should be lined up and shot, every last one of them!!!!

Ooops, now I sound like Jeremy Clarkson
  • Hi Robbie.....Yes, I do recognise the immortalised speech given by Olivier in that classic of Shakespeares Henry V.........think Martin was bigging up the drama.
  • edited August 2014
    Done. 86m @ 20mph. I've never ridden as far without clipping out, but that's the beauty of closed roads. The best of which is gliding thru central london. They could sell that bit alone. No one seemed in the mood for stopping: the shortened route made feedstops a bit arbitrary. Just constant drifting chain gangs all the way.

Of course when it rained it was biblical. But it's warm and it only encouraged everyone to pedal faster and stay warm. I feel very lucky for the early start time. Some roads were well in their way to serious flooding. I expect there'll be tales of bottlenecks with the later boys and girls.

You really didn't want a puncture. There were tonnes of em. Like a Normandy beach landing riders left and right would indiscriminately make that fizz sound of tube in wet puddle and disappear into the wash never to be seen again. I fear there were a few write offs. It was good to see a lot of mavic assistance. I had the good sense to have a puncture at the start and ride on with a slowy bubbling away as replacement. Got away with it though. Made me go faster worrying actually. I had Ride of the Valkyries going off in my head when it got real bad. I actually enjoyed it. Quite marvellous cycling up a hill of water where you can't see the road: gives that effect of walking up a down-going escalator where you go nowhere - and yet in this case you mind-bogglingly go up. Brilliant.

Didn't see any CCA rider. But then couldn't see much full stop. The scenery wasn't that much to write home about in the sticks. It's better around Ashwell.

Big thunder and lightning moment at parliament. What does that mean..? Whizzed thru finishing bit grabbing goody bag containing obligatory nonsense; one shoelace, dead mouse, signed photo of jimmy krankie, devilled egg. A little towel would have been a simple and welcome idea.

Any road. I'd do it again: for the london bit. Maybe get some crowds urging us on next time. I felt sorry for the brave few who did wave their 'go daddy' flags. Some places had loads of crash barriers out anticipating crowds. A shame.

Ont train now and back at Ashwell station by noon. Job done and not int doghouse. Met office tells me I've got a 16mph tailwind back to guilden. See: Bertha not all bad. Grand.

PS Anyone notice the chronic lack of mudguards? Shameful really and a bit stoopid. And gawd bless the mighty fine CCA cap. Did me proud to keep the elements from my eyes. Not many cap wearers either surprisingly. CCA caps I think are now restocked by Kit: available on monthly club pub nites... Top quality.
  • Congrats Martin! (I liked the poem BTW and the pic of the Start)
  • great report Martin. Glad all went well if mega wet. Hope the rest enjoyed theirs. Light rain up here only started an hour ago. Will get much worse tonight with gales tomorrow. Think you have the worst down there. Weather up here has been nothing short of idyllic. Probably means we'll be buried in snow this winter :-)
  • I don't think I have ever been so wet on a bike. The standing waves of water racing down through Esher were an unusual sight and fortunately getting washed two feet sideways is not a common occurrence.

Hope everyone got round safe.
  • edited August 2014
    You managed to stay ahead of us Martin L! Official time of 4:09:33 with Av 21mph which I'm really pleased with, although yet still to ride box hill!
    A few back end out moments on the corners and amazingly no punctures. 6 of us stayed together until I think Tom punctured. finished not far away from Phil and Robbie.

Thanks guys, enjoyed the high speed train through central London at 7am
  • No helpful pacelines at my end of the field, though with my mudguards on I did seem to be a towing a lot but great fun all the same.

Was in a group with Amy Williams and a couple of other celebs (Dominic Littlewood was another of them as I just recognised him on the pro race coverage) for the first 6 miles then rode the rest pretty well on my own.

The rain wasn't too cold and the sun came out for the last hour or so, glad to have done it and London with closed roads just does it for me - will be back for more next year if I can get a place.
  • Deflated my word of the day.

Made some great time and pace first thing on the blue train of Robbie, Phil, Matt, Martin and James, great riding from all surfing the peloton, Martin must of had a hell of a ride as you broke off at some pace.

Then luck changed, I punctured around 45miles and then James punctured twice within 10 miles and no amount of pace could get us back up front.
    The weather was as predicted and grim, disappointed not to do box and leith hills but I think given conditions it was the right call.

I thought the organisation of the start was also not great, a lot of waiting and last year worked far better, I can't understand how my wave started before Robbie and Phil's as I was due to start after??

Seems most posted great times we still managed 20mph av for 87m even with punctures.

Great to be out with CCA. It's the events like this you realise it's such a great, accomplished club with some great members.

Smashed a great breakfast and a beer in Look Mum No Hands after.

Hope all get back in one piece.
  • Did someone mention the rain?
    87 miles, I think 18.3mph. If so, chuffed with that.
    Was not in CCA kit as riding with company team and raising money for Bliss.
    Great to be cheered on by them at there "cheer points".
    And even greater to get a massage at the finish.
    Signing up for next year :)
  • Henry V I see with glee
    a love of rhyme, not just me

for courage required to enter the fray
    out of misery, a golden day

So enough said before the storms return
    a love of cycling not crash and burn

well done all
  • Jackie and I got home about 2.45. The worst bits by far. Getting to the start from Car Park F. Very poorly sign posted and stressful. No one knew where to go even a Marshal when we got close. I punctured as well which did not help. Made it with minutes to spare. Also cycling back to the car on the open roads playing with London traffic not really knowing where to go - that took nearly 40 mins for 3.5 miles.

The best bits. Well the whole thing really despite the awful conditions. Agree with much of what Martin said. While we were picking up stuff at end heard commentator said he had not seen or heard of anyone crashing. We saw at least 5 people being attended to by medics and reckon their must have been many more. mainly on corners.

Jackie and I had different starts but managed to meet up a little way in but she was off first so had to wait so her time is ten mins slower than it actually was. Think we saw Tom by side of road and couple of other CCA at a distance at the start but everyone one looked the same out on the course.

Not sure about doing it again at the moment but as they cut it short (probably the right call) there is unfinished business here.

Hope everyone else home safely

Stuart
  • J kept it brief
    Such a relief :-)
  • edited August 2014
    Cycled back to Olympic village to pick up me stuff... alongside the Sky team in their flash team cars with all their flash team bikes on top. Ben Swift seemed to recognise the CCA shirt on my back and smiled out the side window. Or maybe he was just amused at yet another soaked fat assd MAMIL who'd completed the pretend race!

Ben Swift SKY : 4.39
    Robbie Laughton CCA : 4.11
    (wipe that smile off ya face Ben!)
  • Robbie for team Sky !

Andy and I beat Jan Ullrich in "The Argus"
    ( he was clean and stopped for pies )

its not too late !
  • Makes you wonder!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant time Robbie. Looks like you had worse weather as well so Chapeau
  • Bob S, myself and Bob's friend james (riding for GOSH) rode together today after meeting early. Managed to queue jump slightly from 7:55 to 7:20, but in reality started at 7:50 as everything got quite delayed. Wasn't too impressed with the start having ridden some Euro sportives which are much smoother to get going.

As with Mark was definitely not impressed with the journey back to the car park after the finish. Felt like an hour to the Lee valley ice rink in busy stop start traffic being cut up by taxis and buses. That said overall it was great to ride on closed roads for the event.

It was quite difficult to spot CCA riders as everyone was in waterproofs due to the deluge starting about 5 mins into the ride for our start time. We saw Gwen somewhere around Richmond and said hello, Andrew R passed us like a steam train on embankment and shouted hello.

Quite jealous of the peloton surfing up front for you early starters as we were mostly dodging charity riders. I think Neil hardy had a smoother ride starting at 7:07 (and on time).

The rain really kicked in for us after Richmond Park where for about an hour and a half you couldn't see more than about 20 yards and there were various rivers on the road, deep floods, bursting manholes and some pretty nasty looking spills. In the words of blackadder I was wetter than a haddocks swimsuit.

We stopped quite a lot to keep fuelled and warm, never knew coffee and chips was such a good 11am combo. Got back to the finish at about 2pm, no punctures but a minor mechanical on my front brake. Of particular note were the mojito flavour gels at Wimbledon, hmmmmm.....

There is definitely unfinished business down in them there Surrey hills, but whether it's worth the brownie points vs the Tour of Flanders sportive is still undecided for me.

JRVM
  • Haddocks swimsuit ... like that!

It was a really good event last year and as long as we don't get more biblical weather (I blame Tom for that), I'm definitely up for the 2015 event. Bring it on