Welcome to the forum

La Marmotte sans Galibier 2015 :(

Comments

• How about this guys (tim)

Possibility only some of us will get a place. Who cares? Still a week in the alps? What's to say you can't ride it anyway?
  • edited September 2014
    Information I have researched was that up till 2014 they opened on 1st December but last year opened on 1st november which disappointed a few people.

According to wikipedia the entry opens at midnight CET (11pm UK time) so I think we need someone to keep an eye out and probably have an email list to alert those who want places from november 1st or maybe even before.
  • There's also entry only packages through people like CycloMundo, Sports Tours International, Ronan Pensec etc.

Maybe it's worth speaking to these guys (now) if you want everybody booked together?
  • so just to clarify... are we all still up for this?

I need to let my friend know re: accomodation. I appreciate there is the entry 'race' but out of good will he has reserved it without the need for deposits. He is turning bookings away for this weekend (as you can appreciate its a popular one for him) and it would be unfair if I don't update him if there is a change in commitment from us?

of the current list, are you all still committed?

1) James D
    2) Andrew R
    3) Tim D
    4) Phil K
    5) Nathaniel
    6) Strappy
    7) Skelders (me :-)
    8) Peter G
    9) Martin H
    10) MC

let me know
  • Still in - will talk to the companies Shaun suggested in the next day or so to find what guaranteed entry would cost
  • I'm still in
  • yep, still in. A bit worried what ill do if i dont get a place but could always do it the day before/after, or failing that ive always fancied the mountain bike route off the top of the glacier!
  • oh yes - it has to be done
  • Tim

It looks like you can get guaranteed entry only places from the tour companies long after the initial offer.

CycloMundo were offering guaranteed entry for 115 Euros last year and Ronan Pensec for 150 Euros.

I've mailed CycloMundo about our plans and will let you know what their reply is.
  • Skelders
    still in let me know how much deposit you need and when.
    strappy
  • Great, thanks Andrew.
  • I have now made other plans. Please cancel me from the list.
  • I will need deposits from you all for the accommodation. Will finialise the costs this week and let u know. Please whisper me your email addrsses and I will circulate accordingly.
  • latest on flights-

Easyjet from Luton to Lyon with Bike c£222
    BA from Heathrow with Bike c£195

so slightly cheaper with BA BUT from Heathrow and silly OK clock .. depart 08:10 compared to 11:50 from Luton and easyjet.
  • unless you have any BA air miles - which I have just remembered I have?! doh!
  • the easyjet price I have quoted includes a bike, hand luggage AND a hold bag btw.

I have just booked mine :-) easyjet as above returning Sunday 5th July 14:55
  • what date have you booked the outbound flight for?

Nice we get hold luggage too, helmet and shoes would take 1/3 of hand luggage!
  • Guys,

Sorry didn't make a few bits clear

The chalet is available to us Sunday to Sunday. So entirely up to you how long you want to stay. I have booked my flight on Easyjet Wednesday to Sunday from Luton . I think James & Strapoy are following suit. I will arrange for taxis from Lyon to the Chalet so IF you want to travel at different times may I suggest you link up with someone else or it could get costly for you in cabs - if ur flying of course, last time we went Phil Adams drove and spent the whole week there.

Nathaniel, just to be clear, u don't have to book a hold bag, you could save a few quid. Also helmet and shoes wd be better in ur bike box.

Final costs for chalet look to be as quoted c£163. There is a damage deposit of £500 , refundable on our departure.

Don't forget to pack ur swimmers for the hot tub!!!!!
  • Thanks Skelders let me know when you want chalet money. Entries for the event will be open any time now and i think they like to surprise people so no date is published....everyone keep your eyes peeled!

I think i will book my flights based on whether i get in or not. Might try and go for longer if i dont get in.
  • Cheers Tim!

Anyone else interested in going Sunday - Sunday? I want to get as many days riding in as possible! I'm doing the Marmotte for fun / an occasion this year rather than competition so I wanna ride hard all week!
  • Booked - out on Weds back on Sunday for me too
  • I might look at eurostar or drive. Will decide once the entries are open.
  • Whats the nearest you can get by train? probably Grenoble I'm guessing? Anyone taken a bike on Eurostar? does it have to be boxed or bagged?
  • Hi Tim, yes Grenoble is the nearest. Usually have to change at Paris, metro to, is Garde de Nord? Can't remember now? to pick up the TGV. Have done it with skis but not bike. Then ud need a taxi from grenoble. Might be a bit of a schlep accross Paris with ur bike although it is only a couple of stops. :-)
  • Martin, if do u fancy driving there is parking at the chalet.
  • Martin if you're driving, what day were you thinking of going up? Could go halves with you if you like - as possibility
  • Entries are suppose to open this afternoon.
  • they're OPEN!

i'm in :-)
  • Think we are all in aren't we? Yippee, something to look forward too.

Could do with a travel meeting. Next club night 2nd Dec?