Welcome to the forum

Paris - Nice 2015 UPDATE and ACTION

Comments

• John
    If we do climb from Bedoin then we'll probably have to back track at the top and then turn left at Chalet Reynard and then down to Sault. The climb from Malaucene is also pretty tough and is technically the true west to east route.

Either one would be good and they would both take around 2 hours to climb...
  • that's 2 hrs for you youngsters who have done this before...........I'm going to need an hours head start and this one is on day 5!!!!!!!!!! done some daft things in my time, but this takes the biscuit :-)
  • Hi Shaun

Hope all well. You're right about having to back track if we go up from Bedoin...whereas when I rode it we went straight over the top to Malaucene. We were staying in Vaison la Romaine and cycled south through Malaucene to Bedoin around the mountain's base first, so I suppose we rode south to north over Ventoux. I think the route up from Bedoin is called the classic route as the Tour normally goes up that way. Don't remember much of the route down to Malaucene other than it was very fast and wet. Despite it being 38C in Bedoin in mid July it still rained at the top after we cycled through the cloud layer! Does the Paris Nice race actually go all the way to the top or stop at Chalet Reynard or somewhere else?

Another taste of Ventoux:

http://viciouscycleblog.com/2011/05/02/climbing-mt-ventoux-and-living-to-tell-the-blog-tale

FD
  • Geoff don't worry we will just take our time and enjoy the experience. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey and all that. Not everyone in the pack is a fighting fit youngster. Anyway by day 5 your legs will be rock :-)
  • thanks Mick :-) really looking forward to this trip. A year away and excited...can't imagine what I'll be like near the time...
  • already started logging some training rides. Have found some new routes you will all love. Hoping for good weather when you are here and will phase the routes to build to match the route when we have the planned route from ACT.
  • Looking forward to training up there Geoff...
    May be coming up there more than once if that's ok.
    Thinking 3 days... 3 tough rides!
  • Fine by me Robbie...all the more the merrier. How many of the lads reckon they will be coming up next year. I hope to be down at least once more before Christmas so will drop in if you are around for an early planning session if that's o.k. Won't be down over Xmas this year as am staying up here in the wilds.
  • Hi all, is there a reserve list for the ride? Would be very keen to get involved if a place became available.

Thanks, Jon
  • There is a reserve list Jon, not sure how the order is, my place has just become available as my back problems are simply not getting better so have decided not to chance it and let someone else have crack. Contact Robbie he may be able to help. Good luck.
  • Sorry to hear your back is giving you trouble mick.

Robbie, I would be more than happy to take micks spot, subject to any existing reserve rider list. Scrolling through the posts I see dom has shown interest(Oct 14th), so I imagine he'll get first refusal? Thanks, jon
  • Looking forward to seeing the route Robbie. 3 rolling days followed by 3 hilly :-) Talking to Rourkes and getting some help from Daniel D to finalise the components and build....can't wait.
    Lousy weather here at present and serious winds this weekend...ho-hum
  • edited January 2015
    Hi Jon…
    big shame Mick can't make it but yes it does mean a spare place - and rightly so Dom has his name down already as first reserve. Dom is getting back to me this week. With this being an open forum process we have always requested that interests in the event should be on the forum… you are now second reserve after Dom. Many have shown interest so If anyone else wants to be added to the reserve list then this is the place to put your name.

We will be sharing the route and more info in the next few weeks by means of a get together in the Three Tons. We'll also be able to distribute the route via email plus any other info. Please make sure you send me your email address (see below). In the meantime enjoy your training and bike building (Geoff). There will be a number of training rides including the ever present 8am Saturday rides, 3 day rides at Geoff's int' Durham hills and other single day hilly training rides to prepare us for the six day Paris - Nice 2015…..
    and of course day five's ride VENTOUX!

robbie.laughton@callingbrands.com
  • Hi Guys,

Return flights from Nice have been released by Easy Jet.

Martin
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    What flight are people booking?

There's a 9.50am, 3.15pm and a 9.55pm to Luton.

9.50am might be too early if we have a celebration shandy the night before!

Similarly, how are people getting to Paris - Eurostar?

John
  • Looks and sounds fantastic guys, very jealous not to make it but I have a fantastic 2 week old baby boy to make up for it!
    Best of luck
  • Congratulations Tom and family!

Sure you don't fancy riding to Paris overnight again as a prologue?!

John
  • congratulations Tom....nothing equals that.
    It's Eurostar out and flight back.....3.15 sounds right. I might stay on for a couple of days in Nice...not decided yet. Probably need to as I'll be lucky to be walking after the ride.
  • NICE ONE TOM!!!
    CONGRATS THERE MATE.

Also to Dom for joining the PARIS - NICE 2015 adventure.
    Jon is now first reserve.
  • edited January 2015
    TRAVEL UPDATE

Martin H has booked the 6am flight from Luton on Saturday 6th Sept. Robbie is looking at maybe going Eurostar.

On the return journey home Martin H and Robbie have now booked the easyjet flight at 10.45am from Nice to Luton on Sunday 13 Sept. And Robbie has reserved seat 1c for an extra tenner.
  • edited January 2015
    Have booked the same flight home as Martin H and Robster. Seat 1B as i think my legs will need a stretch after this trip

It seems Eurostar tickets are released 120 days before the date you want to travel so tickets for 5 September travel to Paris will not be available until 1st week in May.

One way cheapest to Paris is £34.50 at the moment = result
  • Would also be thinking about staying an extra day in Nice to recuperate on the Saturday and return home Sunday!

Are the 3 of you staying anywhere in particular or is this something that ACT could arrange for a bolt on fee - perhaps 2 nights at the final, friday night hotel?
  • flight home is booked = 10.45am from Nice on sunday 13 sept 2015
  • booked -

Sun, 13 Sep 2015 Nice (Terminal 2) 10:45 Sun, 13 Sep 2015 London Luton 11:45
  • Think we'll stay on for an extra night in the same hotel....
    Makes sense. ACT can book this when ready.
  • Sounds good, Robbie...gives us a chance of a team ride along the promenade on Saturday!

Flight booked, same as you all....extra leg room too...as I'm 6 ft 3!!
  • Just booked same flight home as Robbie et al - seat 1e.

Will be getting Eurostar out to Paris.
  • Booked my flight, in euros der. Anyway I'm in seat 2c.
    Can we agree a euro star train date and time and make a party of it or shall we make our own way and meet in Paris?
  • Anyone else's partners/friends/mothers coming to meet them in nice? Think we're going to tag a couple of days on the end, guess we'll sort out hotel stuff once there's a bit more detail in place... I'm guessing survivors will be looking for a bit of an evening of low key 'celebrations' the evening we arrive in Nice..?
  • FDFD
    edited January 2015
    We're on the ACT website...Rough route map included! Not sure about the 'climb up the Vendoux' (sic) though...is that another climb close to Ventoux?!!! Looks like Malaucene up to summit and down to Sault. That section east of Avignon can be pretty lumpy...having cycled around there in 2013.... can't remember many flat sections in the Alpes de Haute Provence/Maritimes, but initially looks as if ACT are steering us just north of le Gorge Du Verdon (hardest day's ride I've managed so far!)..via Banon, les Mees, possibly Annot?

http://www.actcyclingtours.co.uk/challenge/paris-to-nice/

Getting excited reading this and we've still got 8 months to go....can smell the lavender fields and picture the lovely scenary already......better get out in the snow!!

John