Welcome to the forum

FESTIVE 50's / FESTIVE 500

Comments

• I'm in if I can sort spoke related issue.
    I have a spoke on rear wheel that doesn't seem to want to tighten. Doesn't appear damaged in any way, but just keeps spinning round with spoke wrench.
    Any ideas gratefully received on forum or phone 07734 438119.
    Could be in the garage a while at this rate.
  • edited December 2015
    Use yr Summer bike! Good weather.... : )
    Or...I've got a spare wheel.
  • Robbie,
    Annoyingly, wife said the same thing before I spent about 2 hours in the garage trying to resolve the issue. Then had to concede and get the summer prepped instead.
    See you in the morning.
    Looks like I'll be sitting at the back, as no mudguards fitted.
  • Round the houses of St Ives route...48.5m basic with a challenging headwind back! Did find that a tad hard on me Suely steamroller fixed.
  • edited December 2015
    Good start to the 2015 festive 50s.
    About 10 braved a bright but chilly start from the Tuns.
    Relatively flat route north to St Neots but the increasing southerly wind made the return super tough.
    Col de Langford Bridge my nemesis again :(
    At work tomorrow but will be out for Weds and Thurs.
    Be careful tomorrow as very strong winds and rain forecast.
    55miles at mid-15s.
    In the office for 1.30pm................

JP
  • Great ride today guys. Was psychologically tough passing cafe in Bourn without stopping, but I'm sure it will build character.
    60 miles at 16.2
    Spoke fixed on the winter bike so back to mudguards tomorrow, just in time for some light drizzle and a small southerly puff of wind.
    See you at 9.
    Any idea on route?
  • Robbie - keep riding fixed on the festive 50s.
    Those of us wanting to ride most of these to build base will need to keep it steady or we'll blow a gasket before the new year.
    I think you can act as the pace maker for the rides.
    Guess I'm thinking there will be fresh legs and winter racers to contend with.
  • Thinking... south to old knebworth. Lilley kinda route...
  • Will try the fixed again... But it busted me a bit today in the wind! Lol
  • Libby and I will be there tomorrow. Route sounds good!
  • edited December 2015
    Wednesday 23rd. 9am. Tuns. A festive 50 miles to bicicletta cafe in saffron. Super steady all inclusive pace. Stay off the front if you don't like the look of that headwind. Sunny and quite warm!

https://www.biciclettavelo.com/about

Route;

http://www.bikemap.net/en/route/3240304-ashwell-saffron/
    Clockwise direction. Roll your mouse or finger over the profile to see the little dot move along the line.
  • Cheers for today everyone. Thanks for waiting and helping Libby too, a bit windy, but very warm!
  • I'll be out tomorrow, but pushed for time so will aim to meet you between Royston and Barley, and will drop off at Barkway on the return leg.

Just off to the garage to fit new (hopefully puncture resistant) tyres, and of course, tinsel!
  • FDFD
    edited December 2015
    Wet muddy roads and blustery gales = walking the dogs and turbo time for me today watching the Eddy Merckx Story. Nice.
  • Bicicleta sounds perfect - count me in! Under pressure to be back smartish so will peel off early on the way back. Mither in law arriving!
  • Bicicleta sounds perfect - count me in! Under pressure to be back smartish so will peel off early on the way back. Mother in law arriving!
  • edited December 2015
    Great day for riding the bike and good turn out for Martin's festive 50 route.
    Always enjoy stopping at La Bicicletta and wished Santa would bring me one of their nice Colnagos.
    Ride back from the cafe was hard into the wind.
    Dom, Pete and Phil pulling the group back to Ashwell.
    Feeling festive after that.
    Have a good Christmas all.

JP
  • I think we let Robbie down today and I'm sorry

Robbie, the creator of the Festive 50s - the 'all-inclusive ride', except for today
  • edited December 2015
    Jane - I agree.
    By the time we knew Robbie was gone it was too late.
    Hopefully he got back ok.
  • Lol... and thanks Jane!

Went on to Nasty and the Mundens... but needed a fixed wheel styled pace - after this weeks tax on me legs on the Surly Steamroller. See you all for more after Xmas! Cycling love to all.
  • edited December 2015
    Over a dozen out this morning. Nice, sunny day and the wind more irritating than a problem. Roads were fine: hey... no punctures!

Everyone in relaxed mood and feeling festive. Saffron nice. Bicicletta a bit over awed by us, but no one seemed to mind the laid back service. Good to chat with everyone. MC's festive jersey is a real winner.

50 miles @ 15.5mph. Anyone doing the full 500 really needs more than a badge. Most impressive in December.

I hope to get a ride in next nearer to New Year. See you then.

null
    null

null

null
  • Cheers Martin. That last shot's going in my 'album' (- actually, it'll be a file on my hard drive, but if I still had an album, it'd definitely go into it)
  • Two bridges ride for me. 39 miles @16, bonus seeing some happy faces from the 9am ride as they returned to the 3 Tuns - some of whom I hadn't seen since the Promenade D'Anglais, Nice in early September!

Hopefully fit enough to keep up with you again on a club run soon.

Festive Dutchman
  • Where were you all? Two of us turned up for a festive 50 this morning, Tom decided to seek shelter in the hedgerows towards Standon. I decided, in a bid not to get lost, to go hard riders style round the TT course. I managed a lap and a half in almost sunshine before the rain started. Northfields at 8mph was something special.

Have a great Christmas all!
  • Waited the rain lashed morning out by walking the dogs and last minute chores (what chores?) and breakfast in town with the Flying Dutchwoman.

Suddenly, blue skies and sunshine appeared and were all I needed to tempt me out for a gentle spin - after 30 minutes out a filthy black cloud appeared and dumped freezing rain, driven horizontally by the gale. Made the descent of Chalk Hill from Weston down to Baldock 'interesting'!

20 miles @ 15mph. Time now for a cheeky beer, or two.....

Flailing in the Air Dutchman
  • No one else out today?
  • I was the only CCA at the Tuns at 9am. Left just as the church bells started to toll.
    Headed south on a route around Stevenage taking in Datchworth and Whitwell.
    A few loonies out and some even waved back.
    Blissfully quiet roads early on.
    Ended up with 55miles on the clock and looking like the 500 is achievable.

Anybody out tomorrow? Come on - let's be avin yah!
  • FDFD
    edited December 2015
    Had to wait for the Flying Sister-in-law, Flying Brother-in-law (true in his case: 5 PBP's completed) and the Flying Nieces to depart before thinking of working off yesterday's excess.

Dog walk for an hour, followed by 20 mile torch-lit furtive festive flog ride into the wind and hills around Weston, Quickswood, Chesfield. Took a few kidney punches and uppercuts by the breeze on Boxing Day. Dry though. No other loonies around in the gloaming.

20 miles @15's.

George Foreman Dutchman
  • edited December 2015
    Good to see five CCA willing to embrace the wet conditions this morning.
    Neil, Robbie, Dan, Carmelo and myself headed out towards Barkway and a piece of the GD100.
    Roads were mostly super quiet and everyone was in good cheer.
    We rode this as a 'steady' using Neil's power meter to guide us.
    I ended up with 65miles at around 16s.

Glad I made the effort to get out.

JP
  • edited December 2015
    Enjoyed that... more miles like that tmw!