Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Hi Matt, I'm happy to sit this one out, you're more valuable to the A squad than I am
  • Dan/Matt - I've actually picked up a hamstring injury so would benefit from a few days rest. It doesn't really hurt me on the bike but it's stopping me from running so I'd be more than happy sitting this one out to give it some recovery time. If there's last minute issues with anyone then I can step in.
  • Ok thanks Dan and Rob. Dan, are you still happy to ride if Rob sits this one out?
  • Hi Matt, yes please, stick me back in. Dan
  • Bs, invite coming out shortly...

Please take note of the delay time for our start.
  • Reminder for all.. No TT bikes (otherwise you won't draft) and Heart Rate Monitors on.
  • A invites now sent. Currently watching the various videos to see if we can come up with a plan.
  • Thanks Matt..
  • So, these are my thoughts for Team A.

5 min power/weight the 4 over the KOM will be.
    Chris's L and P
    Dave
    MattP

So to keep as fresh as possible the following could work. Split into 6 sections.

Section 1: up to glass road
    Stef takes on along with Chris L and MattP
    Stef emptying the tank up to the glass road start

Section 2: first climb up glass road (50m)
    Let Dan set the pace. The rest hang on.

Section 3: glass up to KOM
    ChrisL and MattP take over for a turn each whilst Dan recovers (a bit) and then joins in pushing hard up to KOM start and empties tank.

Section 4: KOM
    Dave and ChrisP take over and go as hard as possible up the KOM! Rest on the flatter bits if possible with ChrisL and me on front until steep bits where Dave and ChrisP take over the pace.

Lots of observations needed to keep together. Crest over together.

Section 5: Decent
    ChrisL and me steady watts if on front until next rolls through
    All higher watts on the short uphill bits to keep up speed

Section 6: Bumpy until end
    ChrisL and me take over until ChrisP and Dave recover
    Keep watts high and roll our way through taking turns
    The small bumps will catch us out

Climb watts:
    On the two big climbs, as hard as the named rider can reasonably hold for the duration

Climb in the middle of decent (or little up bumps generally):
    375 max

Bumpy bit watts:
    Suggest that front riders keeps to max 300 to 350. If tiring, just hang on and keep up watts on the small climbs.

Thoughts welcome!

This is going to be fun!
  • was thinking of something similar Matt, you and Chris do the main pulling on the flat/lesser drags then let the rate determining pace up the climbs be me, Stef and Dan. Probably want to make the call whether to shed people at each section or stay together for extra draft effect (this will probably help) as the KOM only comes about half way. I think momentum will help on some of the rollers at race speed. limit the uphills to early on to say 4.5w/kg as lots of time to be made/lost with a good pacing strategy
  • I'll try and get over the KOM with you guys if I can, that will give some benefit to the downhill section but there's prob no point waiting if I get dropped.
  • I was trying to work out last night how much faster the larger teams were on the final half. But too difficult to work out any definite number.

Dan, your power would certainly make us faster on the second half so let's see how the main climb fairs and we can take a view towards the top.
  • Plan makes sense. I doubt I can get over the KOM with you at your pace so makes sense to empty tank early and hopefully give you all some respite in the early sections.
    Then see what happens on the KOM!
  • Does anyone know how to follow someone live on one of these WTRL races? For normal races, you can register for the race, but stay on the start line and then click on anyone in that race to follow it live. But I don’t know how to do it in WTRL where you can’t line up on the start line.
  • Rob, there is a team manager option for the ZRL that allows your to watch and communicate with your team. Not sure about bystander.
  • That was an interesting one! Plagued by tech Gremlins tonight, Paul and Tim dripping out regularly giving us panic attacks but luckily they kept coming back!

Bs stayed as a six til 3/4 way up to the KOM where Vince dropped back. 5 of us kept it really tight all the way down and over the rollers. Power was kept high and certainly felt good. We lost Paul and Graham due to WiFi drop outs just before the line, but luckily Paul reappeared to be our 4th man! Phew!

Waiting with baited breath to see the results but we did get passed by our German league leaders...
  • Hi Rob. Sorry, just seen your note.

Last season I never got the manager view to work but never worked out why. You sign into pen E, but then I just sat there on my own not able to jump to any one. Perhaps this is better now.

However......

If you sign into the actual race you can watch as you as say. On ZRL you can actually have as many riders as you like in the team in the pen as long as only 6 riders leave the pen. Therefore to watch this is the best way. Unless we can work out the other way.
  • So for Team A it worked well and felt fast.

Stef pulled an amazing effort up to to glass road. Dan powered us to the base of the climb. Dave and ChrisP beasted the climb. ChrisL then carried us home. I just did a short turn every now and then.

We caught our minute team just before the line so must have been going pretty well. We shall see!
  • Results at present show Bs 10th on the night, 0.3secs off of 9th... Could have been so without Paul or Graham's WiFi drop out!

As 4th on the night, less than a second ahead of 5th!

Some strong team performances last night. CZ Wolves in Bs smashed it for 1st. Our German league leader caught us as their minute team and finished 4th. Really thought we would fair better after the training, I know I couldn't have given much more and a couple of us set or close to wattage bests. Maybe we knew too much!....
  • Well done everyone, really tough course, that one!
    A's - am I right in thinking we're 2nd overall in the league? Seems to be after 5 events...
  • A bit disappointed in 10th. I thought we deserved more. Good effort B team.

Heads up: I'm in on the Crit City crit B race, Thurs 7.45pm.

See you there in that category or another.
  • 5th overall in league for Bs, 2nd place for As.

Next week is bonkers! One for the climbers... 3 x up Volcano... Let's get some points back
  • Well done all. Yes also slightly disappointed in 10th, we seemed to be really holding together well and putting in max effort, I certainly couldn't have gone any harder (4W FTP increase!). But 5th in the league is still good!
  • Yep 5th out of 14 teams so still well up there.
  • Well done all. I smashed my ftp and was riding off the back. Riding abs is nuts
  • Worth me dropping to the B's for the Volkom race to see if i can snaffle a few more points?
  • Just finished a 2 lap race, the climb took around 7.5 minutes, i was trying to stick to 4W/kg on the first lap, on the 2nd I was around 3.8. It didnt feel too bad 2nd time round. I took it steady from the start gate thinking we might catch some people on the climb but it never happened. I'd say it's worth pushing at the start as there is a fairly decent draft effect on the climb if you are in a big bunch. There are some opportunities to get a rest on the decent. The run to the line was a bit cagey and no one wanted to lead it out, depending on group size you could try an attack with a 1km to go, especially if you have a ghost.
  • Good thoughts Dan.

I think the best chance of points is the first climb. The first climb is always the fastest as it rips the race apart with max draft on bottom slopes as numbers are high. Treating the the first time past the KOM as the finish line will get maximum valuable overall FTS points (top 10 likely to be on first lap) and the less valuable 1st KOM points.

What happens thereafter is up to the race and legs.
  • Remember to get names down for race 6.

3 times up the volcano at 41.5km. Another nice gruelling one.

I'm doing the XRS Climbing Series at 14:00 if anyone fancies it.