Welcome to the forum

LA MARMOTTE 2011

edited November 2010 in Sportives
It has been said that everyone should ride La Marmotte at least once in their cycling career – I agree.

I have spoken to several people ‘along the road’ about doing this famous sportive in 2011 and 9 people have committed to joining a trip to the French Alpes to do this. Thus I have booked a self catering ski chalet in nearby Oz to accommodate us. I am aware that there may be other people interested. My contact in Oz has offered to search for additional accommodation.

Please let me know if you want to join this CCA adventure and I will see what additional accommodation I can arrange.

THE LIST
So far the list looks like this;
Phil Adams, CCA
James Davis, CCA
James Dobbin, Arctic Premier
Daniel Doncaster, CCA
Tim Duckett, CCA
Iain Foulkes, CCA
Nigel Monoghan, IM
Martin Lawless, CCA
Robbie Laughton, CCA
Tim Skelding, CCA
Strappy, CCA

LOGISTICS
The sportive takes place on Saturday July 2nd. In terms of costs I reckon the following;
- accommodation £160 - £225 (depending on numbers)
- food (from bread crusts to restaurants, your choice)
- driving £280 - £385 (depending on numbers per car)
or
- train £410 - £475 (seems high, but it is hard to get exact costs at this stage)
or
- flying, many options, but probably all involve a hire car

In terms of a driving schedule I would envisage leaving on Thursday evening, June 30th and arriving back on Sunday July 2nd.

There is a twist. As it is the same price to rent the chalet for a week as a weekend I have booked it from June 25th. This means you can do the Trophee D’Oisans if you wish (Le Vaujany, Prix des Rouses, La Marmotte and Le Grimpe D'Alpe).

HOW TO ENTER
The sportive is managed by the French company Sportcommunication. Entries are not yet open, and opened in January for 2010, so I expect the same for 2011. You need to register before you can enter. Those who have already ridden this event can check your registrations at;
http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/inscriptionenligne.php?type=1&langue=2
For those needing to register should click on ‘my name does not appear on the list’ using the same link above.

Daniel

Comments

• Good to see such an ugly bunch of CCA riders already up for it!
  • clearly you don't mean me in that sweeping statement
  • Hi Daniel
    Add me to the list - looks like a great sportive, and will force me to at least do some training in the cold months ahead!
    Cheers
    Iain
  • avoid train option- you cant guarantee bike will be on same train, or permitted at all
  • guy's
    this one sounds great pencil me if thats if its ok with you all.
    tony.
    p.s.can someone teach me how to climb hills/err sorry mountains.
  • I HAVE FULL INTERNAL AFFAIRS CLEARANCE! :-)

Let the diet begin!
  • Good news you three. Iain and Strappy, may I have your e-mail addresses please?

Cycling up mountains is easy and requires you to do only one thing; don't stop pedaling. Ever.

Sometime soon we should get together and talk through some issues.

Daniel
  • Hi,
    can i put my name down as a tentative at the min. I just got offered a place on the Etape next year, which is the weekend after La Marmotte. Need to decide which to do, or perhaps both! but that will require delicate negotiations and possibly the payment of bribes.

BTW, has anyone tried to register yet. I tried last week and got an error message at the end of the reg process?

cheers
    Lee
  • The first Etape is like a Marmotte Lite? I say go for the Real Thing...

Aye - I get the error message too. French websites.

Daniel: what's your thinking on getting together to discuss?

Robbie suggested flying to Turin and hiring a car, having gone to Alpe d'Huez before.

null
  • or Grenoble & grab a cab
  • Lot's of bike boxes!
  • lots of cabs :)

or mini buses

I will double check but the last time I took one for skiing it was about €200 return
  • You can buy your registrations for La Marmotte 2011 now from the Sportcommunication web site (see first post). Only snag is I couldn't get the English language version to work so had to blunder through in French.

Au revoir

Daniel
  • I've signed up.

http://www.sportcommunication.info/web2010/inscriptionenligne4.php?langue=2&idcid=

I added the next morning's Grimpe d'Alpe hill climb fun to my purchase [it's the tick box next to the Marmotte ride]. I don't know if I'll be in town/sober enough/able to walk/all the above - but for the sake of 13 euros - I thought I might as well.

You don't need a medical certificate now to register.

ta!
  • Er, i think ive signed up, not entirely sure, i seem to have paid for something anyway.
    The english version of the website doesnt work, so i also blundered through and paid a few extra euros for the "caution puce crometage" whatever the hell that is.
    It seemed to be the default so im sure its absolutely brilliant to have.

Im afraid i didnt opt for the Grimpe, fully intend to have a sore head to go with the sore knees on sunday morning.

TD
  • Aye Tim - I got a caution puce crometage too. 10 euros. Sounds great. I wonder what it is.
  • I'm in. It seemed to work in english.

Dossard No = 2426 which i think is the same as last year.

Categorie : RANDONNEUR (sounds fantastic!)

47 euros for the entry and 10 euros for something else it seemed i need to go for....
  • All signed up. Martin, I've followed suit and booked both events - must be bonkers!
  • signed up too - hopefully to the Marmotte - or else an expensive french cycling jersey.
    for the marmotte virgins amongst us here's a profile of the course - quite hilly by the look of it. http://www.sportingtours.co.uk/events/marmotte.html
  • guy's
    just signed up i think !! some was in english some in fench 57 euros in all sounds about right.
    god help me what have done...
    still in a bit of pain with my back should be over for a short ride sunday.
    all the best
    strappy.
  • Those wondering about doing La Marmotte should decide ASAP as registration has opened. I expect it will be popular. Let me know if you want to join this group and I will do my best to get some more accommodation sorted.

Daniel
  • signed in just now
  • 2010-12-14
    LISTE DES INSCRIPTIONS GRAND TROPHEE 2011
    REFCLIENT NOM PRENOM EPREUVE

209447 Adams Phil Marmotte
    209447 Adams Phil Grimpee de l'Alpe
    156442 DAVIES JAMES Marmotte
    147343 DONCASTER DANIEL Marmotte
    147343 DONCASTER DANIEL Grimpee de l'Alpe
    147341 DUCKETT TIM Marmotte
    209517 Foulkes Iain Grimpee de l'Alpe
    209517 Foulkes Iain Marmotte
    209184 ROBBIE LAUGHTON Grimpee de l'Alpe
    209184 ROBBIE LAUGHTON Marmotte
    209010 Lawless Martin Grimpee de l'Alpe
    209010 Lawless Martin Marmotte
    149232 MONAGHAN NIGEL Marmotte
    210674 Skelding Tim Marmotte
    209882 strapp tony Marmotte

Bring it on.
  • As most of you are aware, due to my absence at the CCA Xmas bash, I was scoping out Alpe D’Huez & L’Marmotte over the weekend.

Admittedly I was on skis as opposed to wheels and with the help of chair lifts, gondolas and bubble cars ;-)

However, I was also staying in the chalet we will be using in July and just thought I would reiterate what a great place it is. Nice big garage for bikes (or skis), clean & beautifully presented, with a breakfast option if required (This is a supplement of course to the prices Daniel has quoted which we can discuss later if interested). It was just great and I can’t wait for next July already...well apart from the training and pain awaiting that is!
  • staggering guys.....am truly envious...10 from the club...the blue machine again...who would have believed a few years ago our club would be this keen and strong...
  • Dear Marmotteers,
    Welcome to the New Year.

I suggest we meet to discuss plans for our great trip. I dare say we can also debate gear ratios and training (I have a cunning plan).

Let's meet at The Three Tuns on Monday January 10th at 19:30.

Daniel
  • sounds like a plan :-)
  • and whether i need a new groupset. i am sure i do!
  • Sorry I can no longer manage Monday. I've sent an e-mail with a doodle poll link.

Daniel
  • The doodle poll indicates that the prefered time is 19:30 on Friday January 14th. See you in The Three Tuns!

Daniel