Welcome to the forum

LA MARMOTTE 2011

124»

Comments

• very interesting reading all your comments...
    one etape place available for next weeks ride... first come, first served!

well done to you all, sounds like you all did great rides. fantastic cca performance.
    hope that bit about the bikes/wheels being nicked isnt true..
  • edited July 2011
    Photos r out chaps

And then they disappeared ?????
  • The 2011 Marmotteers.

Chapeaux!

null
  • edited July 2011
    null
    Practice climb up to our chalet a few days before the big day.

null
    Pre-Saturday ride to Bourg start point

null
    Sunset from the chalet

null
    Watching Matt Cotty's Marmotte DVD - last minute tips

null
    Pre-ride registration on top of Alpe D'Huez

null
    Bike friendly mile-marker

null
    Early morning start

null
    On the morning climb up to Col du Glandon

null
    Beginning to warm up on the Glandon

null
    Mini-dip/breather

null
    Passing the Glandon reservoir

null
    Heading for Galibier from the Valloire feed stop

null
    On the Galibier

null
    Still on the Galibier - with 1000s of riders

null
    On top of Galibier

null
    Robbie on top of Galibier

null
    Me on G.

null
    Looking down from Alpe D'Huez

null
    Skelders descending Alpe D'Huez. Job done!
  • “Have they not wings, our men who have been able to climb up to
    heights where even eagles don’t fly? … Oh Sappey, Oh Laffrey, Oh
    Col Bayard, Oh Tourmalet! Beside the Galibier you are nothing but
    pale babies; in the presence of this giant we can but doff our cap
    and bow very low.”

– Henri Desgrange
  • One to savour and remind ourselves how tough a bike ride can be when we're huffing on Croydon Hill.
    And one to remember why we train freezing our nads off during the winter.
    Excellent trip lads. Cheers ears!
  • great snaps Martin!!
  • edited July 2011
    null

almost at the top!!!
  • Great Picture Tim. Tell me, what model of Brompton is that then?
  • loving the new style helmet Bill, I didn't know they were selling them with their own wig these days.

is that upto European safety standards
  • edited July 2011
    Peter - that would be the stealth model :-)

Lee - it took me hours to get my hair 'just so' for that pic ;-) ... 10 hrs 32mins to be precise!
  • mmm...looks more like the 'YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS MCENROE' helmet to me or even the 'BROTHERS IN ARMS KNOPFLER' model!!...still I'm very impressed that you managed to raise such a lovely smile at that point!
  • thanks Carmelo, I agree... so I now have to go back and clearly work harder !!!!
  • Epic stuff this Marmotte. Every CCA sportive rider should ride this one – the original - at some point. If so, I think it's worth capturing a few things for future reference and for if other members want to take on this ultimate one day ride.

First up: worth pointing out how good the chalet was. And also getting there on Wednesday. In Oz, we were only a big descent and several, easy, flat miles from start town Bourg. Getting there Wednesday meant we could have a proper look around on Thursday and take on a climb to get confidence and check the bikes were all fine after the flight. Friday was registering and fettling. A few went for another light ride too - though I chose to do nowt but more fettling.

The day itself starts early. Setting off 6.15ish to get a good place in the queue of several thousand others. All nationalities fulfilling their cliches: Italians chatting, Dutch and Belgians posing like they own the place, French moody, Brits all a bit meek, Germans organizing a ruthlessly efficient body warmer drop off zone. Everyone bricking it. The mountains seem terrifying and the weight of the challenge makes you feel like you can hardly breathe. That's why it was great to be in a good group of lads so that someone is always there to break wind and lighten the mood.

One heartening thing was the weather. The forecast was hot, of course 25-30 degrees generally, but not terrifying. And a northerly wind that would push us a little up the Galibier. I'm not sure I could complete this if it were too hot or cold. It's knife-edge stuff.

The flat opening miles are forgettably chaingang-like and in a snap we are on our way up the Glandon. The blue train disperses into everyone’s unique pace and it's the last I'll see of several others for the next 11 hours. Skelders was only 50 metres maybe away from me for the next 18 miles or so but I won't catch up til the top of the Glandon. I maybe gave this mountain too much respect and stuck resolutely to a 70%ish pace. It meant many people went past me and this combined with the onset of aching knees gave me the wobbles. However - don't fear. I now think the knee thing which passes is just the body not knowing such an unusual continual climb and as for all the people going by: it would be tables turned thereafter, as many were getting too carried away and overcooking their pace.

Fast forward a lot of effort and got to the top of the Glandon and met Robbie and Skelders. Don't buy the fib that the descent is time neutralised if you're chasing a medal time. However, don't be reckless on this windy treacherous descent either.

I saw one bad collarbone/concussion casualty. I think the good conditions and general polite descending [one or two undertaking idiots – look out at all times] from others, kept accidents low. But if you're coming off yer bike on any of the big descents you're in big trouble. My technique is awful – but safe! You do get better at it quickly though and a pre-Marmotte Alpine break would I think do wonders to learn hairpinology. I can only be in awe of James D and the others who seem to relish the adrenalin and laws of gravity.

The boring drag to the bottom of the Telegraph goes by quickly. The industrial road and locale is stark against the majesty of the previous widescreen mountains and scenery of before. It's hard to get into a gang that focuses for long. Too many riders of mixed ability are slipping forward and back. Just tuck in and glide with others where you can. Don't be a hero at the front as the Telegraph is on you thereafter.

The Telegraph by comparison to the other cols, ain't that bad. Yes it's standardly brutal but it's also the most Therfield-like and doesn't hang around much above 9%. Its getting hot now. The hairpins come regularly and you can pace yourself quite easily. Keep drinking.

Another odd thing: the relative silence of everything. Riders are all around you but other than the occasional group of babblers, everyone is conserving energy and focusing on getting out of 4-5 mph averages.

The second feed is on the start of the Galibier climb. More rustic fare. Bread, cheese, oranges, bananas. Don't expect energy gels and fancy stuff. The Brie went down a treat actually. One to remember.
  • On towards the Galibier with just a sniff of a level road. This is now the most intense part of the ride. In part because you know that if you crack this, you will most certainly finish even if it means hauling your bike up Alpe d'huez. You can expect to be reduced to tears over the next 14 miles or so. I preferred to count down the way to the top in tenths of a mile. And they went by ever so slowly. This climb gets to you partly because it opens up so you can see the road ahead; going so distant you can't make out the weeping cyclists on it. Out of the treeline and onto Moordoor moorland and then into the snowline. You'd go a bit deaf as your ears pop away several times though I'm assured the air doesn’t thin out to be a problem. There's a handy enterprising cafe on a wide bend that sells coca cola at cyclist friendly prices - a good stop off. The next hour or so is difficult to describe! Tim D chose to get the iPod going to see it through. I had headphones but could face doing anything but get into a rhythm of pushing out of the saddle every couple of minutes to get relief from sitting down and maybe pick off a rider that had been a few feet ahead.

null

The only time I shouted out aloud was on the descent from Galibier. donning my gillet and arm warmers I assumed my ragged downhill style to take on the 24 mile descent to the base of Alpe d'huez. Concentrating on downhilling is ultimately incredibly tiring and though I know some relish this part of the ride, I found it difficult - "Oh! Come! On!!! Whan will it END?!'

You reach the base of Alpe d'huez on precisely 100 miles. I jumped at the chance to refill one bottle (you DEFINITELY need to take two big bottles) with free Pepsi; final short burn rocket fuel for this beast. I think it helped a lot. I also popped a beetroot juice concentrate robbie gave me. Nature's cheating juice! Slapped on more suncream and got to it.

Alpe d’Huez. What can you say about the next 21 hairpins on the last 8 miles that you can't guess? The first part is the worse and then it does ease up. There are water stop offs but do you want to make it longer than necessary? “Sur mon tete madam! Sur mon tete!” - offered water on yer head and down your back in the heat added a couple of mph. “Come on Ashwell!” - this is where there are the most spectators. I found my savings on the Glandon paid off well here and chewed up a lot of riders. I was pleased with shaved legs scalps, especially including an irritating French tri dude who was giving it the big I am. Eat my Ultegra!

null

Near the very top I had to get off with cramp and push the bike for a few minutes. I remember a little French boy offering me water, “Courage monsieur...”. Nice kid! I could barely ‘ugh’ a response.

And then it's the home straight which is a bit of a disappointing loop through what feels like Letchworth shopping parade if they just sold ski gear. Over the line and into pasta party bedlam. I had to lie on my back for 10 minutes. An English rider spoke to me but I have no recollection of what about. Slowly you come around and I hooked up with robbie and skelders for a beautiful descent from hairpin 5 takes you from the main route onto a James Bond single lane road - made more ethereal by the early evening light. After 10 miles we are into mountain shadows and the air is cooling fast. We hook up with the others for a cold beer in the pre-arranged cafe meeting point in Allemont village. The guys ahead have kindly organised it all for us to drive up to our chalet. The speedo with 132 miles on it with an average of just over 11 mph!

Top tips…
    1. Arm warmers and sleeveless gillet for maximum flexibility thru the conditions
    2. Conti GP4000-S tyres – yes!
    3. Don’t forget to eat and drink – easily done.
    4. Fair skin? Take sun cream in a little film canister [cheers Daniel!]
    5. Take your own energy gels and salts
    6. Enjoy it! Take pics, make friends, say hello to unusual Euro fellas.
    7. Finish it. Curse your favourite sport. Sell your bike and take up snooker.

Thanks again to all the lads who made it such a laugh.
    null
  • Beautiful, accurate and evocative write up Martin. Thank you.
  • martin
    I was just going to write exactly that but as you have already done it i will leave it at that.
    spot on.
    strappy.
  • am sorely tempted after this write-up Martin......wonderful and painful.....will try to negotiate something for our next Anniversary do.......must be bonkers....the Chiltern nearly did for me
    ;-)
  • Love that last pic. And a great video atop the Galibier. Note the fit looking bloke on the left whos walking and then Robbie weaving through the bunch. Fab

By the way, the photos of me all look like im smiling as well, but i can tell you it was no smile...its all grimace!!
  • Good article on this year's Marmotte in yesterday's FT here.
  • Flippin eck, did you see the state of the Galibier on the telly tonight? that would have been a laugh, could have come down on my snowboard.
  • Tim
    yes i saw that i emailed daniel about it yesterday over 100 cyclist had to be airlifted from the top of the galibier in blizzard conditions suffering from hypothermia we were very lucky with our weather could have been nasty otherwise.
    strappy.
  • 2 questions boys...

did anyone take co2 cartridges in bike box?

has anyone got a cabin luggage wheelie i could borrow from 30th july-9th august please?

cheers
  • scousechris
    I did leave some gas cartridges in my saddle bag on the way back it went through the scanner ok but if i would have
    had to take them out at the airport it would have taken an age to repack the the bike box.(your call).
    strappy.