Welcome to the forum

LA MARMOTTE 2011

Comments

• still assuming Daniel....remember it makes an ASS out of U and ME
  • a couple of years back i went to mallorca with Easy jet with about 20 other tri-club members and their bikes - no probs then, so fingers crossed.

iain
  • guy's
    just booked same flights as you all with easy jet looks like the hold will be full of bikes !!.
    chat later
    strappy.
  • As noted in CW this week entries for this event have now been suspended due to its growing popularity. Has anyone not yet signed up? If not you may need to go to a tour company to bag an entry.

Well spotter Martin :)-
  • I haven't had any communication since the original confirmation though? Martin, didn't you say you had your number already? is that right?
  • I have had my number (4621). Using the website my registration is incomplete, i am currently a randoneur until i send in the doctors cert. or racing licence. Its also asking me to "regulate the sum of 10 euro " ????? Have no idea what thats for.

Re. the doctors cert, i am going to send a copy of my BC membership. I dont have a racing licence but it looks just the same. Im assuming they are assuming that you need a medical in order to race in the uk, which you dont.
  • ahhh gotcha

I am one of those as well

My dossard is 6390 :-)

so at the start are we in pens according to numbers or is it a free for all???
  • edited February 2011
    wow, I am now a gold racer.... apparently... and it didn't hurt a bit??? How exciting!

well apart from, I have it in writing now that I am OLD !!! i.e. a VET

damn....
  • aaahhhhh!!!!..there there Tim....
  • Just seen my name in the wrong order on the starters list.
    (am I the only who is thick!)
  • where's the starters list displayed?? couldn't see it on the website?
  • Doctors certificate? I couldn't even get my name in the right box! I'll plead 'thick yorkshireman'.
  • edited February 2011
    as it happens i just had an invite for a check up at the doctors(due to my old age) so i took along a blank certificate daniel emailed to me got him to sign it for me job done f.o.c. what a result.
    see you all later
    strappy.
    p.s. does any one know where to send this certificate could not see it on the web site.
  • edited February 2011
    just in guys...if anyone still stumped for accomodation etc.......Good Morning,

As the warm winter in the Alps continues, our attention to cycle training has started early this year and already it's been possible to ride a couple of local climbs not normally possible until late April!
    Located at 1700 meters in altitude and situated just under the resort of Valmeinier we have the Col du Telegraph and Col du Galibier on our door step. We can accommodate up to 8 guests for full weeks or shorter breaks in our chalet.
    This year we are trying to be as flexible as possible to accommodate more shorter breaks as we understand that it's not always possible to escape for a full week.
    The Etape passes right by our door step in 2011 so we are perfectly positioned for training camps for this and other sportives like La Marmotte, or alternatively just for a break away with friends or your club.
    Prices for 2011 start at 35 euros per night on a B&B basis .
    Contact us directly by return or take a look at our web site to see what we're offering during 2011.
    Regards
    Rob
    email: info@colconquerors.com
    Web: www.colconquerors.com
    Phone: + 33 6 85 12 18 29
    Address: Valmeinier, France
  • In case you are struggling for motivation this is the climb up to the top of Col du Galibier.......

null
  • After you are up Galibeir you get the chance to come up Alpe D'uez which looks a little like this. I think this is hairpin No 9.

null
  • and there's me thinking it was steep???

I'll ease up on the training then!
  • edited July 2011
    Well done to all the CCA riders on La Marmotte. 'Man of match' must go to both Phil Adams for his amazing 8:12 and to Strappy for an impressive 10:03. My friend and colleague James Dobbin did a 6:45. (Note, these times include the descent of the Col de Glandon which was time neautralised.)

It is easy to describe how hard La Marmotte is, and don't get me wrong it is very hard, but the real impression is how glorious this ride is. Several of us commented on how emotional we were coming into Alpe D'Huez. Le Tour does some of what we did on July 22, so think of us when you watch that.

When you risk to ride in the land of the gods you must be prepared to suffer, however you also dare to taste heaven.

Daniel
  • Results now on line 'sans Glandon' ie without the descent of the col de Glandon. Key results
    Michel Snel (fastest) 05:32:23.80 (no kidding)
    DOBBIN JAMES 06:20:19.35
    ADAMS PHIL 07:38:39.13
    DUCKETT TIM 09:17:00.30
    DONCASTER DANIEL 09:19:27.69
    STRAPP TONY 09:24:40.76
    FOULKES IAIN 09:29:21.08
    DAVIES JAMES 09:40:41.67
    LAWLESS MARTIN 10:09:20.28
    ROBBIE LAUGHTON 10:18:26.42
    SKELDING TIM 10:32:35.80
  • Dear Deidrie,

I have just returned from the Marmotte with a fab bunch of guys from CCA. The day was incredible and overwhelming. At the finish i was physically and mentally shattered as were most of my club mates. I had a much better day than last time and finished inside 10 hours achieving what i had hoped. In much pain, but happy we generally agreed that we had done the Marmotte and would never do it again. I personally said i would never, ever go up that sodding alp d`huez climb again, by bike, on foot or in a car.

However, having looked at my split times i see that i was well up at the summit of the Galibier only to lose 1500 places by the finish, having taken a miserable 1h 50m to get up the alp. So now im thinking "what if". What if id had another pork pie on the Lautaret descent, what if i nicked Skelders wheels, what if id done a bit more training. I must be able to get up that bl**dy climb a bit quicker. So now im thinking i might have to have another go one day.

Am i going mental?

Tim D CCA
  • Dear Tim (if that is your real name)

First of all, I think that the fact that you took on this challenge having done it before shows you have been in mental meltdown for some time.
    Secondly, you may have other issues too- sharing an appartment with like-minded lycra- clad, sweaty, deluded individuals and getting 'Marmotted' sounds frankly rather worrying- it puts me in mind of the boat trip in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
    Finally, I think you are brave to confront and acknowledge your situation.
    I fear I may be rather busy over the coming weeks if your friends decide to 'come out' and seek help too!
    I suggest you ask 'Senecio' to contact me urgently as he appears beyond hope already!

Deidrie

when are opening dates for next year!!??
  • Deidre says...The answer is simple...You are suffering from post-marmottitus...it is a very common ailment which usually afflicts riders of this event between about 2minutes to 2 years after and sometimes some riders never fully recover from the trauma....as time goes on reality will set in and in and you will once again come to the right minded conclusion that you will never ever want to suffer this day again!!...until then you will probably experience frequent lack of sleep due to re-running the event in your mind ,over and over...at times you will re-live the pain and at times you will see yourself as a pro rider soaring up the climbs..of course the latter is pure fantasy and if this continues may need some professional psychiatric help..either way no rider will ever forget this ride.....

WELL DONE TO ALL OF YOU......IT IS AN AWESOME EVENT!!
  • Hey! Check out the video footage on the results pages of Sportcommunication.com I have to say the footage of James Dobbin is more impressive than that of me! Tim's looking over his shouldrer at the top of the Galibier!
  • edited July 2011
    You're too late Tim, some sodding Frenchman nicked my wheels at the airport remember? along with Robbie & James' bikes!! ;-)

considering you were 4th fastest up the Galibier... clearly more pies are needed for the final climb ;-)

Bravo to the CCA, great weekend, great company, and yes... a great event. would I do it again... oh yes :-) but maybe after Italy???????
  • well done chaps, its sounds awesome. I'll be up for it next year?? Any pointers for Stef and I as we tackle The Marmotte lite, next week on the Etape (Telegraphe, Galibier and Alpe d'huez)?

oh, I checked out Daniels video, there's a bloke taking a piss right in front of the camera!

Lee
  • There was quite a lot of that going on. I didn't know about the cameras, so it's a good job my excursion into the bushes was not filmed!

Advice? Well apply plenty of suncream to your bonce else you'll get 'badger head'. My lowest gear was 34x25 and this wasn't low enough. Take a cape. Ride at your pace. 'Enjoy' the event.

Daniel
  • Lee, you're doing such a short event you'll only need one of Tim D's pork pies to get you through.. ;-)
  • Fair to say that’s the best thing I’ve done on a bike...and the worst thing I’ve done on a bike. Truly amazing experience and good to share it with a great bunch of CCA lads like Tim said – oddly helped knowing your fellow Blue Train riders were sharing the pain.

I’ll never forget that first hairpin of Alpe D’Huez, when you think you’re nearly home and that nothing can be as worse as Galibier..oh dear, it can...much much worse

Certainly leaves its scar mentally, and, as my Missus pointed out it also leaves you physically scared – “you’ve got a bum like a baboon’s arse”. Cheers love.
    Thanks for the ride fellas.
  • To all my fellow cca marmotters.

No doubt the hardest and the best thing i have ever done on my bike enjoyed every second of it.
    i would like to thank all you guy's for making it such a great trip and being all so helpfull to me.

A massive thanks to daniel for all the advice and logistical work to make it happen so smoothly.
    it also helps it you are a bit of a headcase and i think we all must be, just never stop laughing.

I was chuffed to bits with the result i would have been happy just to finish but to get a silver
    was just great,would i do it again to right i would but not just yet.

big thanks to all
    strappy.