Welcome to the forum

CHILTERN 100 - 5th June 2011 - a great local challenge!

Comments

• guys
    if any one has a spare place for me and bike would be very gratefull i live in clifton but could meet somewhere if i am to far away.
    cheers
    strappy.
  • Hi Strappy
    I've got a spare place if you still need it.
    Iain
  • edited June 2011
  • Good luck to one and all tomo at a very circuitous Chiltern 100

they have gone out of their way to take us over whatever climb is out there!!

dont forget 'photo shoot' 07.30!!

am stoked for it!
  • lindsey

thanks for the offer managed to twist geoffs arm he is going to pick me up from home what a very very nice man.

cheers
    strappy.
  • Have not been on the bike much recently for various reasons, so this could be a pretty uncomfortable experience! Hey ho. See you at 7.30am. Note the change of HQ from last year - now at Amersham & Chiltern Rugby Club, Ash Grove, Weedon Lane, Amersham, Bucks HP6 5QU. A demain!
  • Fellas - anyone able to give me a lift in the morning? Sorry for the late request!

I can pay my way in petrol money, humbugs, storytelling and song.

I live in Ashwell.
  • Think Lindsey has a space still Martin
  • edited June 2011
  • All sorted: cheers Stef.
  • Aiming to be there for 7 am, we have a team photo booked for 7.45 while in the start queue if we want but not essential ... Fondo kicks of at 7.45 as well.

If you haven't read the gumpf already, the organisers objective is to set a ride for riders, by riders. What this means is the organisation is pretty good, feed stations are well stocked with everything including gels & energy bars. However, don't go stocking up for the summer or they will disqualify you! All monies go into the ride and it's organisation.

So weather permitting it should be great fun 8-)

If a little painful!!!

C u tomorrow
  • Sorry for the DNF on the sheet chaps. Felt a problem in first mile or so with no power in left leg. Then after about 2 miles felt shooting pain in leg so quit while still within limping distance of HQ. Doc thinks it is a sciatic nerve problem (I reckon poor fitness doesn't help!) so might be off the bike for a while.

Hope the rest of you do well - the blue train was a great sight at the start.

Chris
  • Sorry to hear that Chris 8-( hope it gets sorted soon.

For what it's worth I am in loooooooaaaaaaaads of pain too!!!!

Amazing though, what u can achieve on a Brompton !

Well done to all, some good times will come through me thinks!!!

Fingers crossed on the Team Result as well.

The last 30 miles or so was more of a 'blue tram' being made up off myself, Mark W & Dom. Objective to break the 7 hours, which I think we did :-) can't give you stato numbers as the Brompton hasn't got a bike computer .... Yet

Well done again to all, great to see CCA, filling a start section!

Martin, great effort considering you were I'll!! Well done mate....
  • agreed!

so tired i cant even finish this senten....zzzzzzz!

awesome boys!
  • yes what a great ride by all c.c.a. riders well done i finished in 6 hrs 57 mins and as billy brompton came flying passed me in time trial mode i am sure the team done ok
    just had a nice pasta dish and a few glasses of red wine to celebrate well i am of for an early night.
    see you all later.
    cheers
    strappy.
  • think Declan and I came in last of CCA....under 8 hrs Strappy tells me..sorry you had to wait soooo long.......can talk,walk,type,eat and just managed to crawl out of bath......can't believe how tough that was and wasn't certain I would be able to finish...great to have the company of Declan to keep my spirits up..........believe it or not some sod removed some of the markers and we went up yet another climbthrough Ibstone and Stokenchurch and back down to Beacons bottom where we rejoined the ride..added some 5 miles and one sod of a climb the organisers somehow missed......so guess that we added 15-20 minutes on our time...bu***r....some sod apparently put tacks on road at Christmas Common...loads of punctures there...we were o.k.......we rode with a bunch of 6 or so who took wrong turn.....so 115/6 miles for Declan and me......well done everyone..was a great turnout and you boys looked the business.
  • edited June 2011
    Times are out, go to www.chiptimes.biz.

Unless I am missing something here or there is an element of time travel going on I would have to question their calculations? We all started together, give or take a second or two, so would that not mean the order we crossed the line would have a baring on the estimated positions/times? E.g. James D was well ahead of my Blue Tram and yet Mark's time Is over a minute quicker? Same Mark is 6 mins quicker than me although I was c30 seconds ahead of him and Strappy? And I can' believe Mark C's time???? unless of course he stopped for another cup of tea ;-)

Will have words with Eddie!!
  • Billy - you are right about the timing. I think we all crossed the line at about 8am. i crossed the finish line at 14.45. By my maths my time should be 6h45mins but i have been given 6h59mins.....

Good ride everyone. A few wrong turns and a sore back but definately better than last year!
  • edited June 2011
    well done Phil, top effort, I make that 9th overall!!!!! total riders = 459

1170 Matthew Scholes Male M18-39 01:59:49 01:53:25 05:56:47
    781 James Lindsay-Fynn Male M18-39 01:59:39 01:55:55 05:59:13
    73 Graham Bence Male M40-49 01:59:49 01:55:53 05:59:24
    710 Steven Kay Male M40-49 Verulam CC 02:01:12 01:55:02 06:00:32
    908 Robert Moore Male M18-39 London Phoenix 01:58:49 01:55:59 06:02:42
    584 James Heath Male M40-49 01:58:10 01:58:11 06:03:08
    1076 James Quilter Male M40-49 Amersham RCC 02:00:42 02:01:27 06:08:47
    437 James Foley Male M40-49 Team Milton Keynes 01:58:10 02:00:08 06:10:03
    3 Phil Adams Male M40-49 Cycle Club Ashwell 02:08:35 01:54:39 06:10:09

and the rest of us =

28th Lee
    42nd peter
    47th Daniel
    103rd Chris
    116th Stef
    121st Strappy
    125th Mark W
    130th James
    134th Mark C
    156 th billy
    213th Phil K
    250th mick (punctured)
    308th Declan
    309 geoff (different route ;-)

Bl@@dy well done chaps !!
  • according to my calculations, my 'live' finish time displayed on the clubhouse screen suggested that i was still out on the road as my time of 6.53 meant i could not be standing there looking at it!

just as strange. rugby club. bar. closed!!!!
  • Managed to keep with the Blue Train as far as Ashridge college but my ‘ride to survive’ strategy meant it disappeared up the road far too quickly for me. Kept ‘yoyo-ing’ with Geoff and Declan up to the first timing station and passed a very ‘painful’ Martin at about 60 miles, at which point my front wheel decided to develop a half inch buckle!! So not wanting to have it grow in to an inch buckle stayed seated for the rest of the ride including the climbs which obviously slowed me down!!!! and made the 45mph downhills a bit more exciting (recorded a max 50mph)......My time was 8 mins quicker than last year so pleased enough with that.

Well done Phil A, Lee, Peter G and Daniel for getting in the top 50 – great riding.
  • make that 17 out of 22.....allowing For Chris b and Martin.....Where was Dominic chris' mate??...also saw Craig Jackson-Dyke (ex CCA)on the ride...not with another club but just riding on own...looked fit. Did we have a lot of non-starters?

Congrats. Phil on a terrific ride..truly awesome...and to Lee,Peter and Daniel....agree about times as we all started together..summat wrong there. Am glad to not be right at the bottom 309 out of 459 is o.k. by me
  • I think I can explain the odd finishing times: I noticed as we were waiting for the team photo at the front of the start line - and some of you were there for a few minutes - the timing mats a few feet away were pinging even though no one was riding over them. I think those at the front of our group were triggering them with an overly sensitive receiver and their ride was then effectively started.

Yes - my C100 was training for the Marmotte - and I chose to simulate a 'Duckett' version. I was even looking frantically for an Alpine stream to sit in for a while - alas no such luck. A great advert for riding with clubmates; there was so much support. Big thanks to MC for a tow back on to the peleton early on, Mick who paced me for 30 or so miles as well as encouraged me and gave me some crazy rocket fuel juice, to Phil K for the donation of a lot of his energy drink later along the way, Declan for the hand - and Stef, Daniel [thanks for the recovery T-shirt!], Pete for not minding picking me up when I called it a DNF @ 98 miles.

Well done lads! Hopeful of doing this one again in 2012: scenic, challenging, and only about 1 hour away.

BTW - Richard/Josh - the tuned-up bike done me proud - thanks again for a great service.
  • Well done to Phil; well done to all. Make no mistake this is a tough course.

Phil did a great time, but hero of the day award must surely go to Martin for riding a century when ill. When his road side recovery team found him (in a pub 10 miles from the end) he described the day as 'the most painful ever'. However he only makes second place in the ‘insane feats of cycling’ leader board as first place is firmly held by Tim Duckett for riding La Marmotte on an empty stomach having been up all the previous night on the toilet gushing from both ends.

(Robbie surely has a place on the board too, maybe several.)

Hope you get better soon Martin. You ARE the man.

Daniel
  • edited June 2011
    Geoff - Dom was with Mark and I, but he didn't specify the club name in his entry and i don't know his surname to find his time? Dom, let us know your name & number!
    Martin - I think you're right about the time issues as the 'front row' of our pic will confirm (when it is released), they are the riders with timimg probs.
    Chris - maybe the fact that you had your chip wrapped round your frame rather than following the instructions may have caused an issue ;-)

all good fun... i still feel sick mind u...
  • Dom Owens 6.58- fairly sure i was 5 mins ahead tho

good point Billy and Martin on the chip issue

Great ride Phil and Sick Boy!

think Declan may have missed a turn early on when he shot off for comfort break- he is skilled in the art of getting lost!
  • Found him :-)

993 Dominic Owens Male M50-59 02:09:17 02:24:46 06:58:12

so with Dom & Mark coming in 06:58:12 & 06:58:15 and Strappy at 06:57:13 and myself crossing the line ahead of Strappy, I can confidently claim a long 56 then :-)
  • blimey phil
    9 spot what a cracking ride phill well done i don't think i will be hanging on your wheel up the col du gladon.

stef we might have been in the top 100 if we had not turned of course what do you think, but i still had a great time
    cheers to all.
    see you all sunday.
    strappy.
  • Hey guys, I too enjoyed a tough day in the CCA blue, early on I was sitting snugly on the blue train as it left the station on the flat roads at the start, I even felt brave enough to ride up the road for a pee. My chosen spot was at the foot of an early climb (not too clever), - I rode on in pursuit and caught up to Geoff and Phil. I yo-yo’d along with Phil and Geoff for a good while. Then at around 70 miles Geoff spotted one climb that the organisers had missed !!!, so, of course both us with 4 others headed up (lost really), finally made it back on course again, Great day, well done to all. Dec
  • thought I'd done o.k.....only 7 guys there 60+......one an hour slower than me...4 all about the same...but two of them 6.43 and 6.45.....awesome....an hour faster!!!

missing CCA..Iain Foulkes....Phil. Carter...James Quiggin...Jason Stuart....Theo with broken collar bone......assume they didn't sign up for it after all although Iain was offering a lift...perhaps the deadly bug/virus got to them earlier than Martin.......was a goodly number of us there all the same.....well done everyone