Welcome to the forum

Prudential London 100

124»

Comments

• My start time is 07:12 (in spite of giving them a 4:30-4:39 Exp Ride Time). Bit disappointed but I guess it means there's a little bit more sleep to be had, the night before

Was hoping to catch a glimpse of Jenny, Vicky, Jackie/Stuart in the Olympic Park, although I'm in the Green area, which is right up on the northern boundary next to the velodrome

Is anyone else starting around this time?
  • edited July 2015
    My start time is 6.00am
    Start area blue.
    Travelling up with Bob S.
  • I'm starting in the black area at 7.03
  • Is anyone planning to register on Thu/Fri, in which case, is there any chance you could register me at the same time?

Apparently, I just have to give you my form, photocopy of passport and a letter of authorisation. And you can only register for yourself +/- one other
  • Anyone staying near Stratford overnight want some company for dinner?
  • Not this time Adam, have a great ride.
  • Really looking forward to tomorrows ride. Can't say I'm looking forward to the early start.
    6am start and start area blue. I take it each respective team has the same colour and start times?
  • Hi Taff

no not the case with teams. It depended what time you put down to finish as to what your start time would be.. The team time is calculated at end when all 4 are added together..
    Have a good ride

Stuart
  • Hopefully I'll see the rest of the Male team 1 at the start. I know Dave N has the same start and zone.
  • I think you will find all the members of a team have the same start time and zone.
    I'll see you in the morning, Taff.
    6.00am Blue Zone
    Booked lunch at the Ritz for 1.00pm ;-)
  • Hope you all have a fab day out! Thinking of you all.
    Susan
  • First of the 26,000 riders just off now.
    Amazing morning. It's going to be very fast....

null
  • Have a great day all, looking forward to the reports later !
  • I stand corrected you were right Adam.

Great Day really enjoyed that apart from the 40 minute wait to get our bags back :-(
  • A great day in perfect conditions. 180 degrees different to last year.

Finding the pens for the start is very chaotic. I missed my ride mate Stef who got stuck in a queue. Instead, I buddied up with a few Kingston Wheelers, a Dundee rider, VC10, and a handful of others.

Off to a high pace start from the start. London is great in this weather. Even better on closed roads - right through the City, St Pauls, Piccadilly, Kensington. Lots of punctures and lots of lovely expensive bikes. Not too many accidents that I saw though.

I decided to try and not stop at all for a best time. So I stayed with my 15-20 or so buddies who were thinking similar. The first 45 miles are largely flat, and in great conditions and free from the bulk of the riders starting later, we were well over 24mph average when we entered the lumpier 30 miles.

I tried an experiment and took a beetroot juice shot mid ride - just before the hills. Result: absolutely smashed Leith Hill - essentially, Hexton Hill, maybe 3-4 times longer and 20% hillier - like it was the nitro button on the kid’s iPad race game. But then was in complete bits on the far less intense Box Hill a few miles later - like on that same game where if you press the nitro button too much, the wings fall off. Everything was getting drifty and slow motion and I could hear Lou Reed singing ‘Perfect Day’. I won’t do that again. Lesson learned: keep beetroot juice strictly pre-ride. It writes cheques your body can’t cash mid ride.

I needed to stop and refill my bidon at the top of Box Hill, but never really found rhythm afterwards. It was hard to latch onto pacelines, one of which I saw Martin H in, but couldn’t hold his wheel. He was flying. Our blue tops really stand out in a sea of largely cool white and black.

Recovered somewhat in the last 15 miles and enjoyed leaning out to the crowd to a machine gun of 20mph high-fives.

Along Westminster, past Downing Street and finishing on the Mall. It feels like an honour to have this access and by now thousands of clapping if bemused tourists.

Rolled over the line with an official time of 4:43:22, 21.17mph average for the 100... Or 19.6mph for 108 miles if you add the ride to Kings Cross followed by a cycle from Royston train station to the Fox & Duck in Therfield for an ice cold lager. I think many people had fast times: great conditions and the speed from other riders and freedom of closed roads is brilliant.

My top tips on logistics if it’s any use: cycle down the night before in virtually all yer gear and stuff your overnight stuff in a letterbox in a self address envelope on the morning. I’ve got 3 days to wait to brush my teeth! But it means you cycle right thru the finish without waiting for bags or getting near to the start in East London and instead on to a train from King’s Cross. I was back by 12.30pm.

• Brilliant day out, after the apocalyptic conditions of last year!
    Other than the 3 hours sleep (part of my preparations involved spending part of the night drifting in a small boat in the Olympic pool, but that's another story...),I think I benefited from a relatively early start (6.20), meaning that the roads were pretty clear compared to the stories of friends who started later and suffered with congestion and more inexperienced riders. The first stage of the ride was really fun, loved blasting round the city at speed, and it was only after 45miles that my average speed dipped under 22mph, which for me is getting on for 10m TT pace, but still didn't feel too taxing. The Surrey Hills and poor road surfaces inevitably slowed the pace down a bit to 20.8mph, elapsed and moving time both 4hours 48min - the longest I've ever ridden without unclipping my feet once... Just about got away with not stopping and only drinking two bisons, but I wouldn't recommend it- the cramps weren't far off during the last 10 miles...
    Saw Bob on Box Hill, and Adam who had stopped on Leith Hill, doing something with a pump and a length of hose - blood transfusion..?
    https://www.strava.com/activities/359778115
  • VicVic
    edited August 2015
    Well done guys, I caught sight of a few strong looking CCA riders nearing the finish on my way to Horse Guards Parade for the start of the Classic race.

I had a real blast in the Race Controller's car, it's unbelievable how fast the pros ride around those Surrey Hills.
    I'll get round to putting some photos up soon, but it's amazing just how tiring waving at crowds of fans from a car is, so it will probably be tomorrow.
  • edited August 2015
    Jealous, me. Reckon my wave was >80% charity jerseys

In 2013, the big peloton experience of this event sent me into raptures, but sadly this year I spent my ride remembering NOT to trust anybody else's riding. Even on the hills we had snail's pace riders in the middle of the road or hugging the right verge. Didn't seem to matter how, who by, or how many times they were asked politely. Saw lots of crashes, lots of paramedics, 3 or 4 riders being loaded into ambulances ... and on the plus side, I suspect I'm now experienced in all the possible ways that marshalls can re-engineer traffic flows in an emergency!

Hey ho, I made the most of it. In CCA jersey, I dutifully turned myself inside out and hit the magical 5hr 0mins (moving time, total 5hr 13)
  • edited August 2015
    Sounds like getting in the early waves is essential. I managed to wangle a late 'substitution' entry so I was riding as Adam Mackenzie for the day! Fortunately he had an early start of 0639, orange, G. It was a great fast run out of London 'surfing' the faster groups! Stopped a few times to make sure I was fueled and hydrated and got back for a 4:56:56 time, pretty pleased. The fastest, easiest 100 miles I've done :-)

I was amazed at how slow everyone was on the hills, I was overtaking nearly everyone, thankfully there were plenty of club jerseys so slipping by on the right was no problem. Smashing it back into london with a few fast groups was great too, there were some really fun twisty bits around Kingston where you could really rail the corners and sprint out the other side. May have got a bit carried away and overcooked myself so it was a case of hanging on to a group for the last 10miles. Didn't really notice parliament or Whitehall, focussed on the wheel in front, but that last turn and the run down the Mall was great. I'll definitely be trying to get a place next year, and in my own name too!
  • What a great days riding! Sounds like there were some variable experiences, but I had an epic day. Highlights: riding the first 20 miles with the Fields, thanks Jackie and Stuart, I've never covered 20 miles so quickly. I managed to recover enough to enjoy the hills, and time trial it in for the last 10 miles to keep the average speed up to 19.4.

I must have been in a better wave than Jane, as I found other riders experienced and anyone who wasn't was tucked well to the left. Hope CCA riders made it through Leith Hill before they closed it, we had disappointed friends in much later waves.

Such an amazing atmosphere, to ride through London with crowds cheering you on. Finished the day on 5:10 riding time, with a trusty Andrews support team rest stop at the end (sorry Adam, no scones!)
  • edited August 2015
    Feeling a little bit more human now have had some decent sleep.
    Doing the100 on just over 3hours sleep isn't the best prep.
    Jackie and I met with Jenny in the blue area for a 6.54 start. Seemed to be mainly road riders with the odd hybrid and MTB.
    Did not get on to any really organised trains but plenty of wheels going at about the right speed too hang onto.
    Had about a 22 average before we hit the hills. Did not see many others apart from Adam I think with about 13 to go.
    Obviously massively different from last year. Oddly many more crashes some of which looked pretty nasty. Guess people less cautious in the better weather?
    Saw 1 poor guy with a carbon wheel that looked like it had exploded.
    Came in with 4.57 with 1 very quick comfort stop. Looking at the 10 mile splits it was fairly even pacing so both very pleased.
    Thought signage from car park better this year. We used Finsbury Sq which was about half way between start and finish area.
    Think we were just unlucky with the bags at the end. Our lorry just not organised and the guy on our bay especially slow.
  • edited August 2015
    The official times and photo's are up:http://results.prudentialridelondon.co.uk/2015/">
    Generously, they've given me 12 seconds back to take it back to 4h48 (as my Garmin said), as well as 2 years off my age...

Have to say, it may not have been the case for everyone, but my experience of the logistics was generally faultless - when I came to pick my bag up, a lady on the lorry already had it in her hands, spotted me and shouted from a distance, but I know others didn't have it so easy. The only issue that lets it down a bit for me is getting away - getting out of the park gates through the tourists with a bike was hard enough, then it was just mayhem trying to fight with the traffic crossing the West End to get back to Stratford, along with hundreds of cyclists probably not very used to riding in London - not sure what the solution is, though - can't blame the organisers for general congestion and busy streets...
  • Just got my official time 4.36.04 well pleased. I was in the first wave and my intention was to take it steady at first but that was not happening. We set off at what was for me 'race pace' and within minutes I was thinking that this is too quick and I'm never going to last. I eventually paid for my efforts as I crawled up The Surrey Hills but managed to jump back on some fast groups for a tow back to London. I have to admit I was too knackered to manage a sprint on The Mall. What a superb day. For me the organisation was brilliant and the whole day went without a hitch, even the dreaded ride back to the car park in East London.
    John
  • Good grief, I've just heard that a rider collapsed and died on Leith Hill yesterday. Think I probably rode past the scene. How awful

BBC News
  • I rode from London to Surrey and back again. :-)
  • Great fun - much better with the early group for all the reasons above.

I remembered a great route back to East London from last year - cutting down St James Street and then along Pall Mall, The Strand, Aldwych then St Paul's. Not much traffic and lots of roads closed but the stewards were happy to let blkes through.