Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Just noticed week 6. 3 X volcano KOM. 😵
  • That was a tough course last night, but a great result for both teams.
    I noticed that tie in points Matt - the rules on points suggest that the team with the highest placed rider will determine the order when team points are tied, which I think is you with third.
    We've been cheated!
  • Good spot Chris. That is indeed the case having just read it. I've contacted race control although they only give you 12 hours from race to dispute results! We shall see.

Either way, I've congratulated them on an amazing series which is more important than a point here and there.
  • Have now been bumped up to 2nd team on the night! Every point counts!
  • Interesting to watch the end of the race unfolding. From 37.5 minutes at the base of the second climb.

From 3 seconds over the top to 13 seconds before the group behind reforms and gathers pace for a very close finish! Well done ChrisL, you barely see your name on the screen so it shows who was pushing the watts on the front.

Even more impressive, I watched the end of this chaps Junior race tonight. There was an under 14 on the results screen averaging 339 watts!

• strewth that's ridiculous! It's TTT next week right? From the recon that some of the guys did it sounds like its worth riding the course to know how it flows, and that the traditional string wont work due to all the undulation changes, maybe it's worth doing longer pulls at lower intensities to start then the strongest 4 go up the KOM as one depending where it falls on the route.
  • Chris, we are doing a reccy at 5pm on Saturday, I can extend the invite to all the A racers and we can then split into 2 groups
  • Dan - can you invite Paul to Saturday TTT practise too - thanks
  • Dan, thanks. I might join if my legs are in one piece. I'm riding the 4 Horseman at 8:30 in the morning if anyone fancies joining me. 2000m of climbing.
  • Dan - I’d be keen to join the TTT practice on Sat. Thx Rob
  • Thanks Dan- hopefully be there if I've got anything left after the Cycling Weekly road race at 10.30 - Richmond, anyone?
  • The Cycling Weekly race caught my eye. But that and 5pm TTT practice would be too much in one day.

So I'm going for the Crit City B race this Friday eve 7.30pm to start the weekend. See you all there.
  • Sounds good Martin and delays my alcohol intake for the weekend by a few hours. I will be fueled by a burger pre-race. See you on the start line
  • Remember to put your name down for Tuesday's race!
  • Yes please for Tuesday.
    I won’t be able to make the 5 o’clock practice this eve, but looking fwd to hearing about tactics. Yes, does look like a weird course for a TTT !
    Glad we got the point back Matt
  • Yo'hup for Tuesday!
  • In for Tuesday B group.
  • Yes for Tuesday please
  • Yes please for Tuesday
  • Yes please for Tuesday (B).
  • I'll step up for B to Tuesday if you have me. Managed to survive the last two practice runs.
    Got to sort Zwift app out. Playing up
  • Tuesday yes please
  • In for Tuesday if there's space
  • Yes please for Tuesday
  • Yes please Matt, going to be a tricky one though...
  • Yes please for Tuesday Matt...thanks
  • Interesting views here.... amazingly pretty spot on to our thoughts following our training sessions...

• Key points from me...

Stay as a six for as long as possible, if we shed riders ideally this should be over the rolling 'park' section as the pace steps up to the line.

A paceline wont work, tight blobbing required, up and down hill.

Watch the gaps, up and down hill. Do not let gaps open up at all as will cause massive time loss to bring riders back in.

Must Crest the KOM together.. front people ease back over the top to ensure we maximise the downhill drafting effect.

Moderate pedalling on the steep downhill to keep the momentum and slight recovery and not cause a split ~ approx 3w/kg?

Target 4w/kg on the uphill sections all the way around the course.
  • Good video. My take away from it was that the stronger riders (Matt P and Chris L) do all the work, the rest of us hang on until we throw up!!

Seriously though it does seem like the tactics are for us weaker riders to hang on as long as we can and hopefully get over the KOM, and then contribute in the second half with anything we have left. An alternative strategy is to give all we've got in the first few km, then drop off but that seems risky in terms of depleted group numbers.
  • Teams for Tuesday!

Great numbers still and we have 13 so will need someone in reserve.

Using the random number generator, that person will be.....

Me

So, to try and keep 5 minute w/kg powers as close as possible for the lumpy bits I suggest:

Team A
    Chris L
    Dave
    Rob
    Chris P
    Dan
    Stef

Team B
    Matt S
    Martin
    Tim
    Vince
    Graham
    Paul

Happy to step in if anyone can't make it.