Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Yes please Matt P - and great intel, gonna be brutal- I've never done the KOM to finish it, but just the Leg Breaker is brutal more than once...🤢
  • Please put my name in the hat for Tuesday. The course sounds devastating.
  • Matt P, stick me in the 'random rider generator', although I can't say it is something I am particularly looking forward to!!
  • TTT training on the NY course last night. Very interesting results!... A tough course to TT, essentially no flat whatsoever, either up the big KOM, or roller coaster lumpiness around central park. Riding a TTT as normal with from big pulls of 300+ watts and sitting back in 6th pace at 150w doesn't work... big gaps as the road rises and falls. Any big amount of power injected up the KOM results in the group splitting instantly, you dont get a rest being in the line because of the road rising.

More training needed but we surmised...

Better to hold a lower power more consistently across the group.. we aimed at 260watts if on the front and if you got a bit of draft behind, then great. but you will be needing to put the watts in to get up the inclines even if 5th or 6th wheel.

KOM is early on and will need to be disciplined up here to hold it together, maybe 4w/kg for everyone, no drafting here.

Blob up on the descent for max speed, no point being splintered over the top of the climbs.

First person at the front of the train at the bottom of a descent picks up the charge (to make best use of the momentum) no point losing pace to reorder.

Anyway TTT is a couple of weeks away...
  • Really interesting Matt, thanks! Sounds like a course familiarisation is going to be helpful.

Matt P - thinking about tactics for Innsbruck: for the I think its worth you and Chris doing what you can to stay in the front pack. It will split big time up the first leg snapper so you may as well try for first across the line and sprint points..it makes sense if the other 4 of us try to mop up lower ranked fastest sprint points to "take away" points from others..probably best if we try to sit in a lower group for extra draft rather than bridge up and end up in no mans land...then the KOM will just be a drag race. Would say Chris L probably has the strongest sustained W/Kg so maybe keep your powder dry for the KOM as lots of points on offer there too!

The preview vid is up..i lol'd at the guys expected time for each cat..i havent even got near what he thinks cat b's will do! Interested to get others thoughts?
  • Good thoughts Chris. I was thinking similar. ChrisL tries to do minimum whilst trying to keep in front group. Some splits should come back as I can't see anyone working that hard on the front. I'll try to get what points I can and dig deep. Then we unleash ChrisL up the hill. I'll then drag my sorry self up with what I have left. Good thinking on the fastest segments for those behind.
  • NY, will be interesting!
  • I would love to race, just bike dependant as it’s having new cables, think it may be back, but don’t want to rush Daniel if he’s busy in the shop. Plus... this course sounds horrific!! 🤮
  • Taff, sorry you can't ride, hopefully you're back on the bike soon.

That does leave 12 of us.

Team A

Chris L
    Dave
    Matt P
    Rob
    Chris P
    Dan

Team B

Tim
    Stef
    Graham
    Martin
    Matt S
    Lillie (if you can make it)

Should be a good one!
  • Dan, you've been promoted!
  • 18:30 tonight I’ll be doing the Kirchmair ZRL Prep ride. Good recon for tomorrow’s race. Not going to do the climb though just the flat section.
  • I have just been thinking are there separate points for male and female on the sprints/KOM?
  • I’m in! My bike is back.. Daniel has fixed her
  • Chris P / Matt - happy with the game plan. Will try and conserve energy for the final climb. Could be some good opportunities for tactical use of power-ups on the sprint whether it’s FAL or FTS. Also, a chasing group might take a fair bit of speed through the segment, so lots of chances to have a go
  • edited January 2021
    Probably also worth remembering to have a gel/energy drink on hand everyone..this one will probably be well over an hour
  • It is worth us backmarkers using discord during the race to try and coordinate our sprint efforts. If I take it easy up the leg snapper I might be able to grab a few FTS points.
  • edited January 2021
    I definitely think there some good merit in the FTS on this course. Up front will be on the limit over the climb so sprints should be slower. I guess the ideal sprint combo would be for 4 riders each winding it up in turn. First starts before the sprint banner to pick up speed and then in turn coming over the top. I imagine a practiced art like the TTT.
  • Yeah i think it will be difficult to coordinate when so scattered..and sprinting from a small bunch likely more effective given how hard comms will be!
  • Noticed last night the build up to and in the sprint segment the gradient goes 1% 2% 1%, a long range effort not drafting anyone I couldn’t get to 50km hr and noticed the change in gradient. with some drafting and aero boost 51km achievable nicely, applied the boost early before the segment start at the bus stop but it didn’t take me to the line, closer to the segment start is better timing.
  • Just watched the premier league version. Good to catch up on the climb as not done it for a while. The top 1km is interesting as flattens to 1% and drags 3-4% for final 500m. So important to keep contact and then rest for 500m before the final throwdown.
  • Interestingly in the women's race, the eventual winner was the only one in the front 3 to ease right off at 850m to go and rest.
  • 3rd place for Lillie - brilliant!
  • That was bonkers! 3 leg snappers then a leg breaker! Nice group of CCA on laps 2/3 before the final leg snapper smashup! Then Tim gave me a great tow half way up the KOM.

Awesome from Lillie.. lightweight, big power
  • Looks like As 4th on the night, Bs 5th.

Tables are now:

As 2nd, 6 points behind VCV Alfred and 2 ahead of Njinga

Bs 5th, 1 point behind Cardiff Ajax and 5 ahead of electricspirit

Fantastic results, well done everyone.. that one was tough!!
  • Great results. Well done all. A lot of suffering!

Race points shows how important it is to have 6 riders.

Would love to see how the BPs work. ChrisL you managed to pick up loads on cruise mode! Nice work.

Great video again of the race unfolding.

• This is odd, so in the case like last night with 3 laps through the sprint. The fastest sprinter could get 1st 2nd and 3rd fastest times, another rider potentially 4th 5th and 6th fastest time. Points only go down to 10th position.

''Fastest-Through Segment (FTS) Points will be added to a riders score at 1 designated Sprint and 1 designated Climb (where possible). This is scored per race (not per lap) scored as 20,15,10,7 to 1 for 1st,2nd,3rd,4th to 10th. If a rider posts the fastest time on lap 1 and the 2nd fastest time on lap 2 - the rider would earn 35 points for 1st and 2nd place''
  • Yeah weird, i think i was showing as 6th or 7th on the leader board during the race but only scored 1 bonus point overall in the table afterwards, so actually the people above me on the leader board were quicker than me more than once (?) very odd scoring but I thought we did well as a team, very tough course
  • 3rd for Chris L too in the As... Great stuff!
  • I think the points are still being updated, I'm sure I got at least 1, Lil didn't have any last night and now has 15.
  • Yeah, now showing Bs down in 6th on the night.. guess we'll have to wait