Welcome to the forum

WTRL Zwift Racing League Season 2

Comments

• Really great ride tonight from the A's. 0.2 mph faster than the last of last season. That last section was challenging but we kept it together.

Looking at the power data there were some epic turns. Graham, that last turn you were holding the most part of 400w for a minute!

Rob, I hope you enjoyed your TTT race inauguration.

The speed data for the first half was super smooth which shows we were nailing it. Choppy thereafter with all the bumps.

Looking forward to the results.

How did the B's get on?
  • edited January 2021
    Bs did really well tonight. Similar story I think, smooth first half before bumps and fatigue started to kick in. We stayed together until the rollercoaster section a couple of km before the end where I dropped the wheel, leaving 5 to the end.

Super strong show from Lillie!

Training required to get it slicker, especially when tired.

Great job all Bs and As, super efforts. Let's see what the results bring. Hopefully not too much of a wait...
  • So both teams look like they took a fantastic 5th place on the night...

CCA Racers A - 34:39.530
    CCA Racers B - 35:52.423

Great job everyone!
  • B's were 0.057s ahead of 6th place. Doesnt get much closer than that. Must have been the excellent countdown that made all the difference :awesome:
  • edited January 2021
    On that, I think we should go on the count of 2, as takes so long to register movement from a standstill.. May make all the difference as shown between 5th and 6th... Something for the practice session!
  • Great results Bs. I'm struggling to find the total series scores. Without adding it up myself.

I think from last time the clock starts when the first rider crosses the start line, so timing starting together is more important than bang on time. But worth investigating that point.
  • Yes I really enjoyed it but I struggled in the last 5km. It’s so good to be involved in this - i love it.
  • A's beat the 6th place team by just 1.2s as well - what a result chaps, could have all been down to that heroic pull by Graham on the twisties then being led in with a long turn by Chris when i was swinging! Innsbruck i think next which will be savage :awesome:
  • Great results from everyone, loved my first go. It was only on the lumpy ending we became less tight, another training session and we will be great.
  • edited January 2021
    Great result for both teams, well done all. That was really hard, not just physically but the concentration needed as well. But great fun!

Yep 3 laps of the 'ring then the mountain KOM - eek!
  • It’s interesting looking at the split times. If the 18km split time is accurate, we were 8th through 18km that and then made up 9 secs on 6th (njinga), 14 secs on 7th (Zscot) 18 secs on 8th (Aerocycles), and 62 secs on 9th (Suffolk puncheurs). Really strong finish by you guys.
  • edited January 2021
    Really enjoyed that race, dont know if a slightly lesser effort for longer may have benefited you guys better for the finish?

Looking at last weeks results, in the As some teams were reinstated after being DNQ and a shuffle up of individual points done. But CCA still top. Couple of people again with no HR monitors, maybe they need to ride with 3 on like Dave.
  • That was my thought as well, although I found it difficult to draw any definitive conclusion as the speeds and power were all over the place on the 2nd half with the bumps. I guess in terms of time we did better as evidenced by the splits. A flatter course will give better results.
  • Well done all. I found that much harder than last weeks race but more rewarding too finishing strongly as a team.
    A quick bit of mental arithmetic- I think the B’s are up to 4th overall..
  • edited January 2021
    Yeah its a tough ending..harder than i remember..goes to show the power of a big group draft..i dont think we could have gone much faster either way just shows we paced it really well from our splits and making a lot of time up...I think Matts tactics work well.. dont think we could have found the remainder of the gap! The other TTT is a lumpy course as well so recon needed! Will do some youtube searching to see if we can glean other tips

Edit found this on zwift insider: https://zwiftinsider.com/race-lost-ttt-rgv/

Interesting bits 30s pulls and rev up from rider 2 before rider 1 swings off
  • I'm practicing 5 laps of innsbruck at 7:05 tomorrow morning if anyone fancies it!
  • Good article Chris. Let's try the 30 second and 5 second slingshot in a couple of weeks!
  • Leagues are now up... And a great start for both teams after 2 events...

As

1st VCV Alfred 39 points
    2nd CCA Racers 36 points
    3rd PCC Coasters 33 points

Bs

3rd INC Alien Covenant 33 points
    4th CCA Racers B 32 points
    5th Fouche Bergerac 30 points
  • Don't forget to get your names down if you want to race this Tuesday... Newcomers very welcome also...
  • Yes please Matt.
  • Wow that is an amazing start.

Yes please for Tuesday Matt - thanks.
  • edited January 2021
    Hi all, as recommended by the quacks, I'm going to have to abstain from any cycling related activities for at least a fortnight. Gutted really, need to get this back issue I have sorted.
  • Tuesday - yes please.
  • Yes pls for Tuesday.
    Sorry to hear that Taff, hope you're back in the saddle soon
  • In for tuesday - 3 x up the Innsbruck leg breaker followed by the full KOM..sending prayers for good legs already
  • edited January 2021
    I'm going to try and go all out in the sprints, hopefully pick up some bonus points over the 3 laps.
  • Great results in the league by both teams. I’m available for Tuesday if there’s space. Course looks brutal.
  • edited January 2021
    Some thoughts for Tuesday!

3x sprint points. 3x faster timed sprint points. 1x fastest KOM and the standard finish points.

The fastest sprint alone are huge particularly when these are aggregated. I.e. if you held the fastest time for each of the X 3 laps, you could score 1st, 2nd and 3rd place! Scored as top 10: 20,15,10,7 to 1. So 45 points if X 3 fastest through the sprint + 30 more if you won them as well. 75 up for grabs! Compared to a mere 40 for the outright win.
  • edited January 2021
    So, how to get those points! The Leg Snapper climb x3 is brutal. Some thoughts from my experiences racing it:

Hit it hard before the bottom gives extra speed early to overtake riders on the early part
    Start 10 or so back and start the power at the end of the bridge before the climb to gain speed
    Start of climb, focus the first 30 seconds on breathing and power, head down
    The last 30 look up and use others to either ease off a touch or dig deeper
    Don't drop power until after the corner and gradient is negative to not lose speed and in the slip stream of an unsuspecting soul
    Don't come over the top in first or second as will soon be swamped
    Ideally in a close 4th or 5th
    Drop power and super-tuck
    Using the riders in front to gain speed over them on first decent
    Short plateau, start to up power and then early power burst before the rise to get more speed over those in front
    Then ease off and momentum will carry you up and over the bump whilst others are digging deep
    Drop power again hopefully into super tuck
    All the above will hopefully put you in a great position on the road and more recovered then others around you
    Sprint is then only a few hundred metres ahead
    Noone fully recovered so wait it out and sprint hard and late
    I'd wait until after the 200m sign

If in a good group sit in and recover. If riders come back in, don't worry, you wasted them before, you can waste them again.

Repeat two more times.

Then grind your way up the KOM with what's left for 20 odd minutes! 😰🤢😰.

Alternatively......

Points tactics could say that the whole team just drop back, cruise easy, spin the Leg Snapper and smash the sprint fastest times to take all fastest sprint 73 points on offer!

Just a thought.
  • Tuesday - yes please