Welcome to the forum

PARIS - NICE 2015 TRAINING WEEKENDS

edited March 2015 in General
We spoke about a series of dates for back to back rides up at Geoff's farm in North Yorkshire. Great way to get some proper climbing in for Paris - Nice riders and for other CCA riders who would like to build up their climbing legs (some I've spoken to already). It's a case of driving up and riding. Easy as that. Maybe drive up early Friday morning to get a 50M ride in that day, the long ride on the Saturday, and another 50M ride on the Sunday. It's flexible. Of course it pends on weather, and some of the dates may change if it decides to snow up there or become waterlogged and dangerous. Accommodation on the farm is flexible with 6 in the caravan plus plenty of space for tents etc. We can sort that out nearer the time. But for starters here are the proposed dates.

17-19 April
29-31 May (Robbie can't do May)
12-15 June
24-26 July
21-23 Aug
(5 - 12 Sept Paris-Nice)

So have a look and pencil them in your diaries.... and we'll start talking about April first.

Geoff has mapped out a challenging route:
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/443165932

Comments

• Who's up for Geoff's 17-19 April ?
  • Hi Robbie

Away in Florida on hols that week, so no can do.

Thanks for arranging and very kind offer from Geoff.

John
  • Just to be clear club members........this is not a one-off "offer" for Paris/Nice...... I hope and expect to see as many club members here to ride hills as often as they wish. I have no intention ever of charging anything for use of facilities. Just drop me a line so we know who is coming and when.
    Consider my place a satellite location for CCAshwell and come to enjoy some really beautiful countryside, great routes, and traffic free (or mostly) roads.
    Besides, I miss ny cycling friends taking the p*ss, so feel free.
  • Looks good Robbie, thanks for organising.

I should be OK for April. I would be able to take one extra person in my car.

Thanks Geoff for allowing us to use your facilities. Looking forward to coming up and taking the p*ss soon!
  • I am free this weekend but not sure if I am free really. Will need to see what the family are doing. So a possible for riding up north.
  • the glorious Arsenal will be at Wembley that April weekend for the FA Cup semi final, so will be taking Henry there. no can do.

May is Chiltern 100

June is a possibility though...

what is your actual address Geoff?
  • here we are Tim and anyone else...we are on google maps so easy peasy.........
    Plover Hall
    Gilmonby
    BARNARD CASTLE
    DL12 9LU

01833628130 mobile 07985 096231

see you all soon
  • I am ok for 17-19 April
  • edited March 2015
    I am a possibility for April - will confirm closer to the time. Probably travel up after work on Friday.
  • Have re-arranged diary and can do April weekend - looking forward to it
  • looks like a good number for 2 weeks time.....have had some really good days but today is 50mph gales with sleet/hail and rain.
    Don't worry. Sure we will have a great 3 days of fine weather. Not been on bike for 2 weeks as had to get on with various building works.....hope to get a couple of good rides in before you all descend on me :-)
    Routes for you.
    Day 1........http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/394886936
    Day 2........http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/571788756
    Day 3.......http://www.mapmyfitness.com/routes/view/222985027
    As I said earlier.I intend taking it easy for pace our first two weekends. There are some challenging climbs here and if some want to test their legs for speed then they are more than welcome to go ahead. If you log these on your garmins then we can meet up at agreed stopping places. All routes are planned with a midway cafe stop for chats and refuelling.
    Looking forward to it.
  • edited April 2015
    Beautiful day here so went out to test one of the rides. Did 55 miles of day 2 ride as I haven't ridden the section from Dalton to Maersk and Reeth. Generally 2 x cat 3 and 1 x cat 5 climb doesn't reflect the short sections with 20% and 25% with no run ups from fast descents to help. Legs feel like they have been run over and drained. As the whole ride is 82 miles with another very long and steep climb up from Brough this should really hurt. Only managed 13mph av. Going to need to improve. :-)
  • For those thinking of training in North Yorks, take Geoff up on his offer. Great scenery fantastic riding and most importantly hospitality is second to none.
  • cheers Shelton. Very kind. Looking forward to Paris/Roubaix? Sorry not to see you all up here for Easter...when are you thinking of coming up again?
  • edited April 2015
    so that's day 3 ride sorted. 54.5 miles and feeling much the same as yesterday. Knackered. Beautiful weather up here...sunny, warm, and next to zero wind. Lunch organised at Wolsingham for 8 riders. 30 miles into ride. Will sort other stops so we are sure of fuel to keep going. As this is the start of my P/N training I'm not too disheartened. If weather keeps up I will get several rides in before you are here guys.
    My thinking is easy for the first two weekends then if some wish to they can do some of the same routes and try going faster on 3rd weekend. I would be very interested to see what you fit climbers would do with these routes and it would give me a good marker of how much I needed to improve if possible.
    Also, a note to those who can't make the first weekend. I'm sure Robbie would agree with this. The mobile home is unused and always available, so why don't others arrange a different weekend that suits them and come on up.
    If there are other riders in the club who want to experience riding in these hills you are all welcome so just let me know who and when.
  • All sounds great Geoff. Can't wait.
  • I might add Geoff has an extensive collection of interesting malt whiskies if anyone is thinking of taking a gift, or even sampling!
  • edited April 2015
    haha Tim. Was a good session wasn't it :-) One needs an interest during the dark nights of winter.
    Had to do some sheep relocation duties for Ann today so no riding although the weather is still fine here. One more session of duty on the farm tomorrow and will venture out on the bike again if the weather holds.
    Just hope it is like this when you all come here in 10 days time.
  • Looking forward to it, Geoff!
  • It’s the beauty of evolution.
    Before I crossed the Scottish border during July (?) on last year’s Cycling Odyssey, I knew, absolutely that I really loathed whiskey.
    My first dram Norf’ of the Border was Glenfiddich. Good, better than good!

Funny how the world can turn upon its head.

Now I am sampling all the US has to offer.
    Micro breweries are excellent. Export beer - awful. Whiskey - a mixed bag.
    On Facebook: search - type.twoforty

Good to see Sean on form again. You were missed.
  • would be good to see you here for this weekend Jon C. Looks like someone needs to be thinking of a tent for 2+........anyone got one?
  • I have a couple of small tents I can lend so if interested pipe up now and i can have ready for collection this evening or tomorrow morning from Baldock.

Sorry I can't make this trip due to rugby tournaments over the weekend. I have consoled myself by booking a flight to Majorca for a few days at the end of the month:) any good routes in the mountains would be gratefully received
  • Looking at driving up early Friday morning on 17 April.... maybe a 6am start. That's the plan at the moment for me.
  • Same as that
  • Yes, I can set off early Friday morning as well.
  • believe it or not it's bl**dy snowing here at present!!!!!!!!!!
  • yes, I do! (Stay warm, Geoff)
  • thanks Jane...how's the back?
    Just concerned that the wonderful weather we have been enjoying comes back for the lads on Friday
  • Robbie's legs laugh at snow. It's only the rest of us that suffer
  • too true Jane. We've had snow, hail, rain and now it's sunny. I give up. It'll be fine.